Wiki Posts
Search

Charity speech at delta gate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/2MM, MR-Plat, HH-Gold, Hertz-Prezi Club, Marriott-Gold, MHC
Charity speech at delta gate

don’t mean to sound insensitive but am sitting across from d8 in ATL and the gate agent gives the microphone to a person that talks about giving to children’s miracle network for childhood cancer and will be coming around passing the hat. I found that unusual and as a grumpy business traveler being in the road all week I wasn’t expecting to hear guilt about kids with cancer and parents that can’t pay bills. I gave her $5 anyways but is this something new or happening elsewhere?
Kiara likes this.

Last edited by RICforme; Sep 29, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RICforme
don’t mean to sound insensitive but am sitting across from d8 and the gate agent gives the microphone to a person that talks about giving to children’s miracle network for childhood cancer and will be coming around passing the hat. I found that unusual and as a grumpy business traveler being in the road all week I wasn’t expecting to hear guilt about kids with cancer and parents that can’t pay bills. I gave her $5 anyways but is this something new or happening elsewhere?
It's not really appropriate in my opinion unless DL has decided to select this as an official charity and is doing a campaign around it (like they do with breast cancer). But, if this was just a GA deciding to hand over the microphone, this could very quickly get into some very sticky territory. Children's cancer is one thing, but what about when someone wants to raise money for something much more controversial?

Also, it makes this appear as though DL is endorsing it, but are they? How are pax supposed to know if the person collection money is legit or just pocketing it? People could wrongly think that it has been verified by DL.
trooper, KevinDTW, hi55us and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
The only time I've seen a non-Delta employee use the gate PA system was a few years ago before Christmas and some passengers sang some carols to some children traveling alone for the holidays. To my knowledge that didn't bother anyone and I personally found it fine. Of course no money was being collected, so a different situation. Thought it was a nice touch by the GA.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I don't like behavior such as this due to the fact that it is trying to use peer pressure and guilt to force people to donate. I actively donate to number of charities but should feel like I am a bad person if I do not donate when I am on the plane. QR does this on their flights...asking you to give whatever ryal coins to have remaining and don't plan to use. I don't care for that either since they walk through the plane. I'd rather they make an announcement and leave a collecting can near the door.
BearX220, DL-Don, trooper and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:47 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Children's Miracle Network?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Delta is an official partner of Children's Miracle Network Hospitals and September is Delta's Month of Miracles on behalf of the Network . Delta's employees are raising money during September. They were doing it during my recent flights through Atlanta and it didn't bother me. I also remember some signage regarding this.
https://deltaairlinesinc.childrensmi...hospitals.org/
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's extremely inappropriate.

I hope the OP reports this and complains to DL about it.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's extremely inappropriate.

I hope the OP reports this and complains to DL about it.
This is a Delta-sponsored initiative throughout ATL during the month of September, and the speaker was a Delta agent. Complaining about a 30-second pitch for Children's Miracle Network is a little much IMO.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
There was some charity-begging at my gate flying out of ATL on Wednesday evening. I don't like it when BA do it during their flights, let alone when someone scours the gate area with a bucket like it's Sunday church service.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Agreed. If DL wants to raise money for a charity they should do something like offer to match up to $xx as an add on when you are purchasing a ticket online. This would be a no-pressure situation and you would be know that it is legit.
Zeeb, IndyHoosier and howahya like this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
This is a Delta-sponsored initiative throughout ATL during the month of September, and the speaker was a Delta agent. Complaining about a 30-second pitch for Children's Miracle Network is a little much IMO.
Complaining is the only way to make it stop. Delta-sponsored or not (or in my case, BA since I primarily fly Oneworld), an announcement over a PA system is obnoxious. I can arrange my own donations without their assistance or being bothered.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
The question is, if it's an effective way to raise funds for a charity Delta supports, should they really stop doing it because you're grumpy and it makes you feel bad?

Do you really think LESS money should be collected for charity because you find an announcement obnoxious?

Talk about entitled...
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Complaining is the only way to make it stop. Delta-sponsored or not (or in my case, BA since I primarily fly Oneworld), an announcement over a PA system is obnoxious. I can arrange my own donations without their assistance or being bothered.
I agree. I dislike the announcements on the planes but understand. Charitable contributions should be a careful choice of individuals knowing what percentages of collections actually go to the purpose (like using Charity Navigator).

Are the collection people Delta employees? Or does TSA make exceptions and allow non-travelers without BP's through security? If DL's, a secured deposit box would be fine.
cruiser9999 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
As someone who is employed at a company that also partners with charities to hold fundraising drives, I can see why they're doing this. They may appear to be soliciting donations out of the goodness of their hearts, and it might be genuine, but ultimately, Delta is the one writing them a check at the end of the day with your money, and Delta is the one that benefits from any sort of tax advantages as a result.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
As someone who is employed at a company that also partners with charities to hold fundraising drives, I can see why they're doing this. They may appear to be soliciting donations out of the goodness of their hearts, and it might be genuine, but ultimately, Delta is the one writing them a check at the end of the day with your money, and Delta is the one that benefits from any sort of tax advantages as a result.
Who cares? Does that change the good the money does for the organization?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.