Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

In-flight Texting/messaging free starting this weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-flight Texting/messaging free starting this weekend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017 | 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
worked great on my DLX flights on Republic this week - NYC Shuttles to ORD.
Old Oct 7, 2017 | 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Wasted 30 minutes each on two flights last week.

No success.

But, as I was fruitlessly navigating the various pages, I was offered a multitude of opportunities to pay for upgraded service.

My assumption was that $5.99 or $10.99 or $29.99 would provide me service that was 5X, 10X, or 30X better than zero service.
Old Oct 7, 2017 | 7:20 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
T Mobile customers have complimentary 1 hour access for a while already.
Old Oct 9, 2017 | 2:53 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Texting didn't work for me on October 2 on DCA-ATL. Spent at least 30 minutes on Gogo help line chat but what the guy told me to do didn't work. However, texting did work on the return on October 3.
Old Oct 11, 2017 | 4:00 pm

Anecdotally I've noticed a poor connection since the free roll out. Some a/c with no SSID showing, others just that can't connect to the GoGo portals.

Hoping it's just a poor coincidence of aircraft I've had assigned, but it's extremely frustrating to have to read a newspaper, or just delete photos the whole flight.
Old Oct 11, 2017 | 4:31 pm

Programs: DL - SM
Had decent connection on a crj700. Despite the ads saying only a few apps would work. Most of the apps on my phone worked. After a few cocktails I tried getting a tinder match at 30,000ft
synergistic likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017 | 4:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, AA EXP, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Mlife Noir (=> Marriott Amb), invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
others just that can't connect to the GoGo portals.
Any particular error message?

If it's this one, try deleting cookies:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-redirect.html
Old Oct 11, 2017 | 7:09 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
My flight NRT-DTW last week worked great. And after I fired off a few messages, suddenly I had full internet access. That was a nice fluke.
Old Oct 11, 2017 | 9:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Used Skype and iMessage on CRJs this week. Worked well and as others have mentioned, my email seemed to update too...
Old Oct 12, 2017 | 1:57 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Do FA's access a separate network?

Just a question: when I was struggling unsuccessfully to text on the first day of free texting, the FA who had tried to help me was able to get on her phone to view Delta info (showing, for example, a page of specific upcoming flights, the formatting of which did not look to me like anything we see on the Delta app) and it appeared to be a very fast connection--new pages were loading all but instantly, unlike my Gogo experience. Do FA's have a separate (faster) network they alone can access? Or do the electrons just like her more?
Old Oct 17, 2017 | 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I was all excited about this until I attempted a two-step authentication code via SMS forwarding to iMessage on the MacOS (for all the security folks out there, yes, my VPN was connected). No luck. Anyone out there with success in getting this to work?
Old Oct 17, 2017 | 2:37 pm

FLL-LGA worked fine minus the ESPN app (could have been glitches within the app itself). got free interwebs for the duration of the flight. Will report back on my trip this week.
Old Oct 18, 2017 | 6:25 am

Programs: AA GLD
LAX-SYD

LAX to Sydney did not work for me this week. Will try again on the way back.
i couldn't even get Gogo to work most of the time.
Old Oct 19, 2017 | 6:59 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Wasted 30 minutes each on two flights last week.

No success.

But, as I was fruitlessly navigating the various pages, I was offered a multitude of opportunities to pay for upgraded service.

My assumption was that $5.99 or $10.99 or $29.99 would provide me service that was 5X, 10X, or 30X better than zero service.
I've noticed that the free messaging gogo option only appears on my iPhone, not on my iPad or MBP. So they must be looking at the user agent tag from the browser. Haven't had time to hack that yet, but I will see if it works if I spoof it.

It's worked fine for me. AT&T over wifi also works when they punch the hole in the captive portal, so I'm receiving and can make calls inflight. Don't worry, I'm not answering. I really enjoy that I can just respond via text that "I'm in flight".
Old Nov 15, 2017 | 3:58 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I just got an email from DL claiming free messaging on my "flight to AKL" coming up in a few days.

The actual flights are OKC-ATL-LAX-SYD-AKL. It is DL metal up to SYD then VA to AKL.

I am just confused that even if VA has Gogo that DL is claiming free messaging on that flight. No worries for me because I have iPass which should get me connected I hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.