Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What REALLY is the benefit of Gold or Platinum Medallion for me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What REALLY is the benefit of Gold or Platinum Medallion for me?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:44 am

I find almost zero value in PM. Zero upgrades this year on about 60 flights. Have an assistant who does all the bookings and anything on the phone. I did use my RUCs and I do burn my miles quickly, but rarely have to redeposit.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Personally I think the most valuable benefit is better customer service, including "unofficial" benefits like waiving fees and unusual re-routes when you need it most. Being able to get on the phone, quickly, with a live agent who is more or less empowered to do quite a bit to help you is significant.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:27 pm

I’m surprised so few people find the “instant” upgrades to Comfort+ not worth mentioning. Either you’re all a good bit shorter than I am or your company pays for a lot better tickets than mine does!

Anyway, I think the only time I’ve not been upgraded since hitting Platinum this year is on a flight where they’re entirely out of those seats.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Free SDC is also awesome. For weekend getaways I often book cheap tickets with early AM Sunday departures, and SDC into more expensive later flights.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:11 am

Free SDC applies for both Gold and Platinum. OP was asking for the benefits of Platinum over Gold.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
I’m surprised so few people find the “instant” upgrades to Comfort+ not worth mentioning. Either you’re all a good bit shorter than I am or your company pays for a lot better tickets than mine does!

Anyway, I think the only time I’ve not been upgraded since hitting Platinum this year is on a flight where they’re entirely out of those seats.
^

I thought I replied in this thread saying the C+ is a big PM benefit, guess I didnt but I agree with you.

Which peoples jobs on here let them book into FC domestically or Delta One for over seas flights? If so are you hiring? hahaha (because it must be nice to do that )
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:35 am

It doesn't seen that IRROPS priority has yet been listed, along with much more stability in phone line wait times. When that storm hits and you and a million other people are calling in, you'll be really happy you get pushed a little further up the line.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
1. Easy telephone access for travel related items.
2. More upgrade opportunities.
3. Same day changes and standby without charges
4. Lounge access on international flights
5. Early boarding
6. Seat selection options
7. Drink coupons
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by vincentharris
^

I thought I replied in this thread saying the C+ is a big PM benefit, guess I didnt but I agree with you.

Which peoples jobs on here let them book into FC domestically or Delta One for over seas flights? If so are you hiring? hahaha (because it must be nice to do that )
Our policy is J for 12+ hour flights, W for 8+. Only officers get to book into domestic F.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
I’m surprised so few people find the “instant” upgrades to Comfort+ not worth mentioning. Either you’re all a good bit shorter than I am or your company pays for a lot better tickets than mine does!........
Or you hate seats that recline in front of you. I always choose exit row. It's a win-win with extra legroom and you're not staring at the bald spot of the person in front of you. Comfort+ is a bad seat for me.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gynob001
7. Drink coupons
Maybe I'm just really lucky, but as long as I've had DL medallion status, I've never had occasion to use those coupons. I guess if I decline the C+ upgrades and sit in the exit row, they'd be useful, but I've never missed C+ on my usual DAL/DFW-ATL roundtrips.

Any reports on if I can cash in all 8 at once for 8 Woodford minis to go?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the answers. I guess PM is a bit better than GM, obviously, but I don't feel it's 33% better, which is the additional mileage required. And frankly, none of it is that enticing. Priority Pass and Amex Plat already get me access to a lot of these lounges.

I also just learned that the status doesn't get you any extra baggage allowance on domestic China flights with Skyteam partners(including China to HK or Taiwan, even though there's immigration to pass through but I get it, they're short flights), which is the only place where I would need extra baggage, because going back to the US, the standard allowance is enough.

The only thing is free miles redeposit, but considering the opportunity cost of earning PM, I'm not sure the couple times a year I might want to use that makes it worth it.

I guess my conclusion is if I hit MQMs easily, then great. But for next year, I won't try.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
PM advantages (for me anyway):

Comfort+ much earlier (almost always within minutes)

RUCs I've actually been able to use up the ones from last year to get the long domestic legs upgraded even SLC-ATL, LAX-ATL (both ways)

Much better phone service both the normal PM Desk and even the Baggage Desk (phone only), also a lot more help from the Twitter team and the normal CS email reps (pointedly NOT any thing to do with baggage online only a very snarky blow off (or three) until I was actually able to talk to somebody!)

GM advantages:
(It's been a long time since I've been Gold but just observations)

More upgrades from a lot of the ATL GAs!

Also I've been given a personal thank you up front in D1 a bunch of times for both long term PM and MM status and even a couple of extras in C+ on Transpacs.

Of course YMMV!

Last edited by ttuna3; Sep 25, 2017 at 8:41 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kerosundae2
Thanks for all the answers. I guess PM is a bit better than GM, obviously, but I don't feel it's 33% better, which is the additional mileage required. And frankly, none of it is that enticing. Priority Pass and Amex Plat already get me access to a lot of these lounges.

I also just learned that the status doesn't get you any extra baggage allowance on domestic China flights with Skyteam partners(including China to HK or Taiwan, even though there's immigration to pass through but I get it, they're short flights), which is the only place where I would need extra baggage, because going back to the US, the standard allowance is enough.

The only thing is free miles redeposit, but considering the opportunity cost of earning PM, I'm not sure the couple times a year I might want to use that makes it worth it.

I guess my conclusion is if I hit MQMs easily, then great. But for next year, I won't try.
PM requires 50% more MQMs than GM, 75,000 versus 50,000, so that 25,000 additional are required.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PM requires 50% more MQMs than GM, 75,000 versus 50,000, so that 25,000 additional are required.
Ugh 33% sounds so much better, my butt still hurts from the additional sitting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.