FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   What REALLY is the benefit of Gold or Platinum Medallion for me? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1868237-what-really-benefit-gold-platinum-medallion-me.html)

kerosundae2 Sep 22, 2017 4:39 am

What REALLY is the benefit of Gold or Platinum Medallion for me?

I just got Gold, and might get Platinum this year. However, after reading all the benefits and fine prints, I am realizing that besides extra baggage allowance, it doesn't look like I'll be enjoying a lot of perks.

I fly mainly LAX to HKG or PEK, connecting in SEA. Since the complimentary upgrades aren't good for international flights and only DM level gets global upgrade certificates, it seems that my only chance of ever getting an upgrade is if coach is full, and even then, diamonds will get those before I do...

Can anyone tell me what else gold or plat is good for in my case?

TTT Sep 22, 2017 5:02 am

Lounge access on international flights, higher phone priority, SkyPriority check in and security access.

vincentharris Sep 22, 2017 5:05 am

Complimentary access to C+ on domestic and international flights for PM.

Psyduck1 Sep 22, 2017 5:08 am

Gold:
Lounge access on international routes. Sky priority. Better upgrade probability on your domestic legs. RDM bonus.

Platinum:
Choice benefit selection. Free redeposit of award tickets.

In my opinion gold is a huge step up from silver. I've found a lot of value in sky priority and skyteam elite plus. Lounge access in particular has been my favorite benefit.

sydneyracquelle Sep 22, 2017 5:13 am

Free redeposit on award tickets has saved me thousands of dollars in redeposit fees. As a Platinum or Diamond you can book multiple flights/dates/times with ultimate flexibility and simply redeposit them by T-72 and not be out of pocket whatsoever.

CPMaverick Sep 22, 2017 5:14 am

If you travel mostly international, or are based outside the USA, there isn't much to get excited about when 'upgrading' to PM.

I get the most value out of the free redeposit on award tickets. The complimentary C+ and choice benefits are nice. But I've already decided to not bother stretching to PM next year, I'll drop down to Gold.

Bowgie Sep 22, 2017 8:13 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 28845430)
...I get the most value out of the free redeposit on award tickets. The complimentary C+ and choice benefits are nice. But I've already decided to not bother stretching to PM next year, I'll drop down to Gold.

Wife is dropping from Plat to Gold next year because she's not earning the MQM's despite the cc waiver and 10k miles bonus from $25,000 annual spend on a Delta Platinum Amex credit card. Because she travels with me (a Diamond), her status doesn't get her any additional domestic upgrade benefits. She's thinking of dropping the Amex card to save the $195 annual fee. She feels her Chase Sapphire Reserve card is enough. With no Amex waiver, she'll drop again the following year to Silver status on Delta based on MQD's. Outside loss of access to the few and far between Skyteam lounges on international coach travel at Silver level, neither of us see much downside to such a move.

Bowgie Sep 22, 2017 8:21 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 28845428)
Free redeposit on award tickets has saved me thousands of dollars in redeposit fees. As a Platinum or Diamond you can book multiple flights/dates/times with ultimate flexibility and simply redeposit them by T-72 and not be out of pocket whatsoever.

I have not once needed to use this benefit, and I've been a Diamond since the inception of the program on Delta. I encourage FT'ers to be considerate of their fellow flyers because I don't see evidence that redeposited award flights go back into award inventory for use by others.

HDQDD Sep 22, 2017 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie (Post 28845917)
I have not once needed to use this benefit, and I've been a Diamond since the inception of the program on Delta.

I do this a few times a year.

Originally Posted by Bowgie (Post 28845917)
I encourage FT'ers to be considerate of their fellow flyers because I don't see evidence that redeposited award flights go back into award inventory for use by others.

Supply and demand. It's the same if someone cancels a SLUT fare at the last minute. That doesn't mean that new SLUT inventory is opened up. If it no longer fits the fare rules or the fare bucket is full, then it's kicked to whatever fare is available at that time.

mnbp Sep 22, 2017 8:44 am

Originally Posted by kerosundae2 (Post 28845353)

Can anyone tell me what else gold or plat is good for in my case?

+1

With domestic upgrades disappearing, this, plus the PM choice benefits, are probably the most tangible differences between GM and PM.

CommentatusMaximus Sep 22, 2017 10:02 am

I'm flying mostly paid J class so most of the travelling benefits of elite status are included. Considering switching my miles to KE so I can earn lifetime ST E+ at just 500k miles!

Orange County Commuter Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am

That's the one benefit I miss from my road warrior days!

sydneyracquelle Sep 22, 2017 6:34 pm

With a family of 5 who all travel on miles frequently but who need flexibility every redeposit would otherwise cost me $750.

mnredfox Sep 22, 2017 7:22 pm

This will be the huge benefit I will lose the day I lose DM status.

StayingHomeIsBetter Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD (Post 28845980)

Supply and demand. It's the same if someone cancels a SLUT fare at the last minute. That doesn't mean that new SLUT inventory is opened up. If it no longer fits the fare rules or the fare bucket is full, then it's kicked to whatever fare is available at that time.

But, I would hazard a guess that the original redemption, now cancelled, still goes into the DL brag-stistics where they claim how easy it is to redeem miles and how many miles are redeemed each year. ;)