Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overheard from FR In F to DTW to YYZ - Toronto

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overheard from FR In F to DTW to YYZ - Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that, in most cases, the alcohol served in the air on international flights is duty free, meaning exempt from at least the national excise taxes on alcohol. This is why FAs cannot open the carts for up in the air alcohol when they serve PDBs (on international flights) and the choices tend to be prosecco/moscato/cava or beer.
Duty free from the nation they're flying in/from. Ie to prevent double taxation. However they still pay for it when they buy it in home country.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Duty free from the nation they're flying in/from. Ie to prevent double taxation. However they still pay for it when they buy it in home country.
Then FAs should be able to serve alcohol in the "home country" as PDBs on outbound flights without limitations.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Then FAs should be able to serve alcohol in the "home country" as PDBs on outbound flights without limitations.
Correct. They're subject to their home country regulations. Thus AC need to pay Candian taxes on liquor they serve onboard. BA needs to pay UK liquor taxes. Treaties allow them to not have to pay US tax while in US airspace. However when on the ground they're subject to local rules.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
On the typical DTW-YYZ flight path, the entrance into Canadian air space would happen far before the last half of the flight. The FA simply didn't want to be bothered with providing the service before landing.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by canuk
Tonight we board DTW to YYZ, FA before departure goes around requesting FC drink orders. She then says ``I hope you realize that as we pass into Canada I can not serve any Alcohol

Is the FA correct or 1000+ flights into YYZ did not follow the rules. This was a GO Jet FA.
The FA is a ding bat. After taking off from DTW, your may pass into Canada almost immediately

Last edited by DataPlumber; Sep 24, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I don't put much faith in it, but was advised DL is looking to contract with the new Plaza Premium for D1 customers.
Which DL flight out of YYZ will have D1 serivce?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
My understanding is that, in most cases, the alcohol served in the air on international flights is duty free, meaning exempt from at least the national excise taxes on alcohol. This is why FAs cannot open the carts for up in the air alcohol when they serve PDBs (on international flights) and the choices tend to be prosecco/moscato/cava or beer.
TPAC Woodford service starts after the "ding"

But it taste better with my two rocks in a real glass tumbler.
manacit likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tentseller
Which DL flight out of YYZ will have D1 serivce?
None. However you're still a D1 customer if you connect to a D1 flight. There's a lot of pasengers flying D1 originating in YYZ.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
I don't put much faith in it, but was advised DL is looking to contract with the new Plaza Premium for D1 customers.
Until I read this, I didn't even know that a transborder PP lounge was in the works.

It's a sad reflection on the sad state of T3 transborder when that qualifies as very exciting news to me.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Originally Posted by LBJ
Plenty of us have experienced this (no PDB while on the ground). You can find a number of threads on FT corroborating this --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...lowed-yyz.html
Predeparture Beverages in Canada

There are similar posts in AA/UA forums.
Back in February I had the privilege of sitting on a YYZ-DTW flight for over four hours before we got clearance to de-ice. No PDB booze served because taxes had not been paid to 'import' it. I have been served over Canadian airspace so my guess is the FA confused her briefing on no booze on the ground in Toronto with no booze over Canadian airspace.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kent
Back in February I had the privilege of sitting on a YYZ-DTW flight for over four hours before we got clearance to de-ice. No PDB booze served because taxes had not been paid to 'import' it. I have been served over Canadian airspace so my guess is the FA confused her briefing on no booze on the ground in Toronto with no booze over Canadian airspace.
Shouldn't these rules be clearly stated for reference in the FAs' notebooks/iPads they're required to carry or is only safety information included?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by canuk
Is the FA correct or 1000+ flights into YYZ did not follow the rules. This was a GO Jet FA.
I had a Gojet FA act like she was doing me a huge favor by comping my Woodford when I was sitting in C+...maybe it's the same one
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:24 am

I would have told the Flight Attendant that AF serves alcohol over Canada and then order a Woodford with a smile. Unless they have to secure the cabin and complete a Customs Inventory form I am not sure why this was said.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by captaink
I had a Gojet FA act like she was doing me a huge favor by comping my Woodford when I was sitting in C+...maybe it's the same one
I would have told the FA I am doing a huge favof by paying $$$$ or getting upgraded and that my Woodford is a stated benefjt and tk go and reread your manual. Did the FA fall asleep during this part of the training?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.