Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overheard from FR In F to DTW to YYZ - Toronto

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overheard from FR In F to DTW to YYZ - Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
FA was confused. I had one that thought couldn't serve at all for an ex-Canada flight. Not just PDB, but at any point. Luckily for drinkers, there was a GoJet exec on board. He explained it was just PDB that was an issue.
The only law that I am aware of that prevents drink service is while the plane is on the ground in Canada as Canadian duty and excise taxes hasn't been paid.

The good FAs out of YYZ will take drink orders during the "dry" PDB service and serve them once airborne the the "ding" is sounded
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by tentseller
The only law that I am aware of that prevents drink service is while the plane is on the ground in Canada as Canadian duty and excise taxes hasn't been paid.
No big deal, but if you have that law I would like to see it.

I have never had a problem getting a PDB (Booze) from Canada on DL or any other carrier in FC. Ever.

I sure have not been "cut off" flying from the USA into Canada, once we cross the border.

That is the beauty of Canada. ^^^ "Our" friends North.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kettle1

I have never had a problem getting a PDB (Booze) from Canada on DL or any other carrier in FC. Ever.

I sure have not been "cut off" flying from the USA into Canada, once we cross the border.

For YYZ it would be LLBO.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
As the other DL DM from YYZ....
Hey now! There's at least three of us.

Extra-mini-micro-DO?!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by kop84
Hanlon's razor, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
I can't help but be amused by our idea of "malice" including "lack of free booze"...but I know I'm one to talk there!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plenty of us have experienced this (no PDB while on the ground). You can find a number of threads on FT corroborating this --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...lowed-yyz.html
Predeparture Beverages in Canada

There are similar posts in AA/UA forums.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

It depends on the province and if the carrier buys alcohol for the flight or brings it in with them. AC will of course have bought everything locally and thus taxes paid. DL OTOH bought it in the US. Thus no Canadian taxes paid, thus can't serve on ground.

Basically it comes down to if the airline is buying locally (and thus paying taxes) or flying in their alcohol to use on return (and thus not paying taxes).

Note this only applies on the ground. In air the local liquor laws/taxes aren't an issue.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
Hey now! There's at least three of us.

Extra-mini-micro-DO?!
YYZ SC as a venue?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends on the province and if the carrier buys alcohol for the flight or brings it in with them. AC will of course have bought everything locally and thus taxes paid. DL OTOH bought it in the US. Thus no Canadian taxes paid, thus can't serve on ground.

Basically it comes down to if the airline is buying locally (and thus paying taxes) or flying in their alcohol to use on return (and thus not paying taxes).

Note this only applies on the ground. In air the local liquor laws/taxes aren't an issue.
Surely AC isn't paying Canadian taxes on the alcohol they serve up in the air.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect it's more complicated than that. If the duties/tax treatment are similar to what individuals are subjected to, I would assume the tax exemption would only apply to international flights and that alcohol on domestic flights (even if consumed while in the air) may still be subject to taxation.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
I suspect it's more complicated than that. If the duties/tax treatment are similar to what individuals are subjected to, I would assume the tax exemption would only apply to international flights and that alcohol on domestic flights (even if consumed while in the air) may still be subject to taxation.
Of course. We were talking about transborder flights, which are international. However, Canada might have strange rules about alcohol purchased in one province and brought into another province to be consumed there. There might be similar rules in the USA, as individuals typically aren't officially permitted to purchase alcohol in one state and transport it to another state for consumption, al least not in nontrivial quantities. Yet airlines manage to cater flights for RTs (rather than at out of state outstations), etc.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They had to buy it in Canada. International treaties allow it to be served in air on international flights. However they had to pay it when they bought it in Canada. Just like US carrier would pay US taxes. As long as in air, they don't have to comply with other countries taxes. On the ground they do.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
YYZ SC as a venue?
Shhhhhh! We can't let the non-DMs know about the ultra-secret YYZ SyClub.

If everyone gets in, they'd have to take out the teleport-you-directly-to-your-seat service, and just drive us to our planes in a luxury SUV like some kind of La Premiere plebeian!

Pearls = Clutched.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
Shhhhhh! We can't let the non-DMs know about the ultra-secret YYZ SyClub.

If everyone gets in, they'd have to take out the teleport-you-directly-to-your-seat service, and just drive us to our planes in a luxury SUV like some kind of La Premiere plebeian!

Pearls = Clutched.
I don't put much faith in it, but was advised DL is looking to contract with the new Plaza Premium for D1 customers.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:58 am

They had to buy it in Canada. International treaties allow it to be served in air on international flights. However they had to pay it when they bought it in Canada. Just like US carrier would pay US taxes. As long as in air, they don't have to comply with other countries taxes. On the ground they do.
My understanding is that, in most cases, the alcohol served in the air on international flights is duty free, meaning exempt from at least the national excise taxes on alcohol. This is why FAs cannot open the carts for up in the air alcohol when they serve PDBs (on international flights) and the choices tend to be prosecco/moscato/cava or beer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.