Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico upgrades for DL SE+

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Aeromexico upgrades for DL SE+

Returning to the AM Upgrades for DL. AM would always upgrade you to AM+ seats as a DL Medallion Plat/Diamond, just call them and tell them to upgrade you. For upgrades to business, its a true mess, early marriage problems I guess with the DL/AM JV.

Before, I would usually be upgraded after being put on the list at check-in. But a very wacky thing happened two weeks ago as I flew the 787 JFK-MEX. The site redirected me to Delta.com to check in (JFK Check in is handled by DL), and was put as number one in the upgrade list. Then, very strangely, Delta generated a parallel PNR to my reservation, which said "You have been upgraded" (OU) with no assigned seat (?), the initial PNR still said I was on AM+ 12A.

SkyClub people confirmed I was still on the list as number one with 12 seats open, and that AM people would clear them at the gate upon boarding, 5 minutes away, but everything would be done as "If I was flying DL". I get to the gate, AM GA tells me all upgrade seats have been given away, and none left (?). Supposedly AM elites get priority, but a friend of mine (AM Plat) who flew that day told me they were upgraded three days before..

I called DL, they had zero clue of what was going on/a real procedure explanation, and no one seems to know still what happened as I am still waiting for a reply from the SM Plat Service desk...

12 empty seats disappeared in 5 minutes while DL App/Site had already upgraded me and personnel confirmed me as number 1 on the list, and no AM Elites to upgrade.. Nice
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It's like DL flights ex-AMS. The AM system sends flight info about 24-48hrs prior. After that the flight info switches over to DL computers. Unfortunately agents will end up looking at wrong system and give bad info. In your case, while you appeared #1 , you appeared #1 based on DL upgrade priorities. However since this is an AM flight, they must go by AM priorities. In this case, AM elites trump DL elites on AM flights. Since everything was in the DL system, it made it look as you were #1 .
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:33 am

Have had the same experience with Delta handling for check-in at jfk for a few months now. I've been pretty successful getting upgrades on AM as a Delta GM this year but in all instances I had to ask the GA (sometimes more than once) after being put on the upgrade list at check-in.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's like DL flights ex-AMS. The AM system sends flight info about 24-48hrs prior. After that the flight info switches over to DL computers. Unfortunately agents will end up looking at wrong system and give bad info. In your case, while you appeared #1 , you appeared #1 based on DL upgrade priorities. However since this is an AM flight, they must go by AM priorities. In this case, AM elites trump DL elites on AM flights. Since everything was in the DL system, it made it look as you were #1 .
Yeah, but the thing is that AM elites were processed three days before.. So who got the seats in 5 minutes .. Am Gold and Silver (ahead of DL Diamond/Plat?) What really shocks me is that DL guys have zero clue/training on what to answer...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callaweii
Have had the same experience with Delta handling for check-in at jfk for a few months now. I've been pretty successful getting upgrades on AM as a Delta GM this year but in all instances I had to ask the GA (sometimes more than once) after being put on the upgrade list at check-in.
Yeah it was pretty easy before, now it was supposed to be even easier, but they have no idea what to do
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jsegui
Yeah, but the thing is that AM elites were processed three days before.. So who got the seats in 5 minutes .. Am Gold and Silver (ahead of DL Diamond/Plat?) What really shocks me is that DL guys have zero clue/training on what to answer...
Still very new process. All AM elites take priority over DL elites on AM metal. Until recently DL elites didn't even get processed by elite level. Same as FB elites flying DL. They get upgrades only after all DL elites.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Still very new process. All AM elites take priority over DL elites on AM metal. Until recently DL elites didn't even get processed by elite level. Same as FB elites flying DL. They get upgrades only after all DL elites.
Okay, and before it was pretty much just empty seats/no AM elites? I had a 90% upgrade ratio before...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
As a DM, I have not had an upgrade on AM (I usually fly from LAX) for a couple of years now…
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jsegui
Okay, and before it was pretty much just empty seats/no AM elites? I had a 90% upgrade ratio before...
Before recently there was no formal process for STE+. Basically like co-termpinal SDC for DM, it was "unpublished" policy by AM. There also was no formal processing by elite order even for AM elites till 1-2 years ago. It was wild west, call and if seat was available you got it, even if higher level elites were still in Y. Now AM elites auto process on AM flights by window like DL, followed by DL elites. This is Like DL partner elites process only after all DL elites on DL metal.
Jsegui likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Same issue here. I was told I was on the list but never saw the actual list. I saw a couple of AM+ seats empty. I'm about to just give up trying to upgrade on AM.
Jsegui likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by tanglin
As a DM, I have not had an upgrade on AM (I usually fly from LAX) for a couple of years now…
I always book the 787 and am at 100% to/from MEX ... 6 for 7 seats today MEX->

Last edited by kthomas; Nov 9, 2017 at 7:32 pm
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Are companions eligible for upgrade? Is this any flight (I'm looking at Mex to scl if it matters)
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
What is the latest? Is it now automatic?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I flew JFK-MEX Friday and its still a mess - fortunately I was upgraded on-board. At check-in for JFK-MEX, I asked the DL checkin agent about my upgrade and she said called the gate to see if she could clear me. The gate agent said on the phone to the checkin agent that I could get upgrade for $250 immediately or see if space is available at the gate before boarding (I declined). At the gate, they called a bunch of names to the counter and new tickets were reissued (mine wasn't). I boarded early and sat in my seat while the plane filled up. Right before boarding finishes, the gate agent comes on the planes PA calling my name. When I identify myself, they moved me up to 1A (the 787 went out with 3 seats open in F).
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Do we have any information on upgrades on other routes? AM's website seems to imply that they upgrade their elites at T-72, but isn't really clear on if this applies to non US/MX routes or to STE+.

As far as MEX to US, I upgraded several times in Nov and Dec, Chat line said adding to "standby list" no longer necessary, I asked at check in and was cleared very early at gate. Today's agents (and some early this month) seemed to clear some very surprised FOs. Each time I upgraded Nov/Dec I received 150% MQM. Waiting for something from this month to post to see if this continues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.