Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerWx
Hurricane Irma Travel Advisories for Delta:

Delta Travel Advisory Hurricane Irma

Updated as of 28 Sep 2017, 12:45pm EDT:

Affected Cities & Dates

Key West, FL (EYW)

Travel Dates: September 20- October 12, 2017 (New travel must originate on or before October 15, 2017)
---

Turks and Caicos, TC (PLS)

Travel Dates: September 5- October 31, 2017 (New travel must originate on or before October 31, 2018 )
---

San Juan, PR (SJU)
St. Thomas, VI (STT)
St. Maarten, SX (SXM)

Travel Dates: September 5, 2017 - April 2, 2018 (New travel must originate on or before September 27, 2018 )
---

Albany, GA (ABY)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Augusta, GA (AGS)
Birmingham, AL (BHM)
Brunswick, GA (BQK)
Charleston, SC (CHS)
Columbus, GA (CSG)
Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
Dothan, AL (DHN)
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, FL (FLL)
Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Fort Walton Beach, FL (VPS)
Freeport, BS (FPO)
Gainesville, FL (GNV)
Georgetown, BS (GGT)
Havana, CU (HAV)
Huntsville, AL (HSV)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Key West, FL (EYW)
Marsh Harbour, BS (MHH)
Melbourne, FL (MLB)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Mobile, AL (MOB)
Montgomery, AL (MGM)
Nassau, BS (NAS)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
Panama City, FL (ECP)
Pensacola, FL (PNS)
Punta Cana, DO (PUJ)
Sarasota/Bradenton, FL (SRQ)
Savannah, GA (SAV)
Santiago, DO (STI)
St. Croix, VI (STX)
Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater, FL (TPA)
Valdosta, GA (VLD)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

Travel Dates: September 6-20, 2017 (rebooked travel must begin by September 30th)
---

TEMPORARY BAGGAGE AND PET IN CABIN FEE WAIVER
Delta has put a temporary policy in place to waive all baggage and pet-in-cabin fees for customers traveling to or from the following cities:
Brunswick, GA (BQK)
Charleston, SC (CHS)
Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
Destin-Ft Walton Beach, FL (VPS)
Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Freeport, BS (FPO)
Gainesville, FL (GNV)
Georgetown, BS (GGT)
Havana, CU (HAV)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Key West, FL (EYW)
Marsh Harbour, BS (MHH)
Melbourne, FL (MLB)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Nassau, BS (NAS)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
Panama City, FL (ECP)
Pensacola, FL (PNS)
Punta Cana, DO (PUJ)
San Juan, PR (SJU)
Santiago, DO (STI)
Sarasota/Bradenton, FL (SRQ)
Savannah, GA (SAV)
St. Croix, VI (STX)
St. Maarten, SX (SXM)
St. Thomas, VI (STT)
Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
Tampa, FL (TPA)
Turk Caicos ISLS, TC (PLS)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

When you check in at the airport, Delta will waive all baggage fees and pet-in-cabin fees for customers traveling to or from the above cities now through September 15, 2017. There will be limitations to the amount of baggage that an aircraft can carry, and some or all of your luggage may not be able to be accommodated on your flight. In that event, please ask the Airport Customer Service representative if baggage that cannot be placed on your flight can be accommodated on a later flight. Pets traveling in the cabin must be properly contained in accordance with carry on policy.
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Irma Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by apodo77
I am battened down on South Hutchinson Island in Fort Pierce, FL.

Has been rough since last night. About 12" of rain thus far (2x more than they were predicting for the entire storm) and the worst is yet to come.

US 1 is closed and no way off the island at this point due to flooding. Plenty of supplies and no loss of power. Despite being on the east coast we have been hammered.

As the eye passed to the west it should get worse. Schools closed at least through Tuesday in all the local counties.

Has been 8 tornado warnings for the county (4 very close to where we are).

Everyone in the area be safe.
Good luck. God speed. We are all with you in this difficult period.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
MARTA service suspended for Monday.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hunkered down a bit South of you in Palm Beach Gardens - agreed, it has been quite a weekend and far from over yet. We are still getting hammered and based on all the thuds I've heard on my roof, am expecting lots of trees down at a minimum. - and good luck to anyone who parked their car outside.

74% of Palm Beach County is without electricity; mine went at 2 pm. Tropical storm winds expected through tomorrow afternoon. Saw on the news that Fort Pierce had quite a bit of flooding.

Definitely don't expect MIA, FLL or PBI to reopen tomorrow and wouldn't be so sure about Tuesday either.

Originally Posted by apodo77
I am battened down on South Hutchinson Island in Fort Pierce, FL.

Has been rough since last night. About 12" of rain thus far (2x more than they were predicting for the entire storm) and the worst is yet to come.

US 1 is closed and no way off the island at this point due to flooding. Plenty of supplies and no loss of power. Despite being on the east coast we have been hammered.

As the eye passed to the west it should get worse. Schools closed at least through Tuesday in all the local counties.

Has been 8 tornado warnings for the county (4 very close to where we are).

Everyone in the area be safe.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL GM
Here is my dilemma, I have a return flight to FLL to check for damage at my house scheduled for Tuesday through ATL. FLL is closed at least through Monday and who knows what ATL will look like. I also have a flight from FLL to SLC (via ATL) scheduled for Friday the 15th and an overnight return from LAS to FLL on Monday night/Tuesday morning.

If FLL opens Tuesday, I may be able to reroute through MSP or DTW to avoid ATL, but who knows what delays may look like. If I can't get back Tuesday, or it looks like I might not be able to get back in time to to get out again Friday, I would need to do a bunch of reshuffling and I'm not sure how much would be covered by change waivers, etc.

I would need to cancel my current return flight to FLL, change my flight from FLL to SLC to depart from OMA not FLL (who knows if that would be covered) and I would likely cancel my trip to LAS to get back to FLL earlier, which would require changing the return to be from SLC. All of these are one way tickets.

I hope I can just get back to FLL on Tuesday but at the moment it isn't looking that promising.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Do people keep/rent generators to generate electricity at home or do most just not bother with using one during times like this?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Here is my dilemma, I have a return flight to FLL to check for damage at my house scheduled for Tuesday through ATL. FLL is closed at least through Monday and who knows what ATL will look like. I also have a flight from FLL to SLC (via ATL) scheduled for Friday the 15th and an overnight return from LAS to FLL on Monday night/Tuesday morning.

If FLL opens Tuesday, I may be able to reroute through MSP or DTW to avoid ATL, but who knows what delays may look like. If I can't get back Tuesday, or it looks like I might not be able to get back in time to to get out again Friday, I would need to do a bunch of reshuffling and I'm not sure how much would be covered by change waivers, etc.

I would need to cancel my current return flight to FLL, change my flight from FLL to SLC to depart from OMA not FLL (who knows if that would be covered) and I would likely cancel my trip to LAS to get back to FLL earlier, which would require changing the return to be from SLC. All of these are one way tickets.

I hope I can just get back to FLL on Tuesday but at the moment it isn't looking that promising.
76% of Broward is without power and 81% of Miami-Dade. Despite all the pre-planning of recovery assets, it's going to take a while for FPL to restore in meaningful numbers since the storm is still moving upstate.
And I hesitate to even mention some of the latest thoughts on what Hurricane Jose is going to do.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by wolf72
Do people keep/rent generators to generate electricity at home or do most just not bother with using one during times like this?
When I lived by the Chesapeake Bay a while back, we had a hurricane come right up the bay and flood/blow down a lot of stuff. Power out for about a week.

The predominant sound after the storm passed was the hum of generators sitting outside all the houses in our neighborhood. Many neighbors, including us, shared generators as one generator and a handful of extension cords worked just fine for 2-3 houses.
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
Completely unscientific sampling from a native Floridian, but I would say 10-30% of households own smaller generators that can provide some power, but not the air conditioner. The number that have generators that can power their entire home, A/C included, is fairly low.

Homes with a generator fill up in times like these so I would expect those enjoying generator power is double if not more than the percentage of households actually owning one.
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by pbjag
And I hesitate to even mention some of the latest thoughts on what Hurricane Jose is going to do.
I had not even been aware of the current projected track for Jose until this not-mention. Holy carp, you're right, let's leave that to the not mentioning.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL GM
76% of Broward is without power and 81% of Miami-Dade. Despite all the pre-planning of recovery assets, it's going to take a while for FPL to restore in meaningful numbers since the storm is still moving upstate.
Jose is certainly a concern. If I can get back at all, I would like to. Just to see what (if any) damage there was. I do know my home lost power around 5pm ET but I do not know if it has come back.

If FLL can't open back up before I'd need to be leaving again, I hope DL would be understanding about some of these other flights. I'd have 7 segments all needing to be changed but only a few involving airports with waivers.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:12 am

Well, big kudos to FPL!!!^
My power was just restored. Never been so happy to be awakened at 3 am in my life.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Jose is certainly a concern. If I can get back at all, I would like to. Just to see what (if any) damage there was. I do know my home lost power around 5pm ET but I do not know if it has come back.

If FLL can't open back up before I'd need to be leaving again, I hope DL would be understanding about some of these other flights. I'd have 7 segments all needing to be changed but only a few involving airports with waivers.
FPL has an app you can download and if you report the power outage on it, it will notify you when restored.

Re: Airports

PBI reopens this afternoon at 3:30 pm
FLL is assessing for damage and hopes to re-open on Tuesday
MIA did experience damage and hopes to re-open on a limited schedule Tuesday

Note that not all roadways are passable and many traffic lights are down.
Most curfews have been lifted or will be lifted by Noon today. Palm Beach County will maintain a dusk to dawn curfew.

Last edited by pbjag; Sep 11, 2017 at 7:04 am Reason: Update
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:27 am
Suspended

Well, big kudos to FPL!!!^
My power was just restored. Never been so happy to be awakened at 3 am in my life.
glad to hear all is okey
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Just changed my flight from SDQ to ATL to JFK on Wednesday to

SDQ to JFK on Sunday was able to keep my C+ seating.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
So Delta is cancelling 800 flights today and WN is shutting down in ATL at 1:00 or so.

http://www.ajc.com/business/updated-...MiyTuONbPMCmI/

I am returning from LAX to HSV on Wednesday. I think I am going to roll the dice and travel as planned, hoping that ATL will be recovered by then. Of course based on recent history of ATL recoveries from outages, most likely I will be tragically wrong.

It's good that the damage from the storm seems to be far less than originally projected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.