Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's New Automated Boarding Gates at ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

Mods, I haven't been able to find a thread on this, so please forgive me if there's an existing thread, and please merge if necessary.

At ATL, particularly gate T3 (not sure if there are more of them), Delta is testing out automated self boarding "fare gates" not unlike the ones at public transit stations. (I'll mention them as fare gates henceforth, as "gate" can be misinterpreted) These appear to be identical to the ones that United tested in BOS (which were deemed a failure, but are still in use at the GA's discretion)

As a DL kettle (who flies DL on a WFBF basis ) and is normally a UA flyer, here's my take on them:

Pros:

- The ability to board two (theoretically three) passengers at a time with one (but preferable two) gate agent(s).
- (if implemented) the ability the enforce boarding groups

Cons:

- They're slow. Very slow. There's a 10-12 second delay after the closing of the "fare gate's" doors before it will accept the next boarding pass.

Differences between UA and DL:

- UA has screens above the fare gates that will display a big red X and emit a noise when a passenger tries to board ahead of the current boarding group. DL does not have the screens, and does not appear to enforce the current boarding group.
- UA's boarding announcements are automated and integrated into the system. DL still has the GA make announcements.
- UA will board preboards and premium cabin/top tier elites through the GA at the podium for sake of speed. DL boarded the preboards at the podium, but made Prem board via the fare gates. The fare gates are also at the opposite end of the gate from the Prem pillar, so any shred of structure that the Prem line had breaks down.
- UA's fare gates don't have much of a delay. DL's fare gates have a 10-12 second delay AFTER the fare gates close before it is ready to scan the next boarding pass.
- UA tested these and have declared them to be a failure due to the benefit not outweighing the cost. I'm curious to see how Delta thinks they can do better.

Thoughts? And yes, I did send DL my feedback, suggesting that they remove the delay, and board Prem via the GA at the podium.
Xeno and AceReport like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by diburning
Mods, I haven't been able to find a thread on this, so please forgive me if there's an existing thread, and please merge if necessary.

At ATL, particularly gate T3 (not sure if there are more of them), Delta is testing out automated self boarding "fare gates" not unlike the ones at public transit stations. (I'll mention them as fare gates henceforth, as "gate" can be misinterpreted) These appear to be identical to the ones that United tested in BOS (which were deemed a failure, but are still in use at the GA's discretion)

As a DL kettle (who flies DL on a WFBF basis ) and is normally a UA flyer, here's my take on them:

Pros:

- The ability to board two (theoretically three) passengers at a time with one (but preferable two) gate agent(s).
- (if implemented) the ability the enforce boarding groups

Cons:

- They're slow. Very slow. There's a 10-12 second delay after the closing of the "fare gate's" doors before it will accept the next boarding pass.

Differences between UA and DL:

- UA has screens above the fare gates that will display a big red X and emit a noise when a passenger tries to board ahead of the current boarding group. DL does not have the screens, and does not appear to enforce the current boarding group.
- UA's boarding announcements are automated and integrated into the system. DL still has the GA make announcements.
- UA will board preboards and premium cabin/top tier elites through the GA at the podium for sake of speed. DL boarded the preboards at the podium, but made Prem board via the fare gates. The fare gates are also at the opposite end of the gate from the Prem pillar, so any shred of structure that the Prem line had breaks down.
- UA's fare gates don't have much of a delay. DL's fare gates have a 10-12 second delay AFTER the fare gates close before it is ready to scan the next boarding pass.
- UA tested these and have declared them to be a failure due to the benefit not outweighing the cost. I'm curious to see how Delta thinks they can do better.

Thoughts? And yes, I did send DL my feedback, suggesting that they remove the delay, and board Prem via the GA at the podium.
My only thought would be that if DL took UA's idea, but changed it to a trapdoor leading to an alligator/snake pit instead.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: DL - SM
Does it matter that it can load 2 at a time when the bottleneck is usually down the jetway getting people into their seats?
Tom45 and DiverDave like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by willem176
Does it matter that it can load 2 at a time when the bottleneck is usually down the jetway getting people into their seats?
Probably not for narrowbody flights, but it would matter for international. AF uses some of these gates at CDG, and they have a bank of 3 or 4 (I can't remember exactly); that helps mitigate both the delay in the gate itself and the delay in "people are really awful at scanning bar codes". The jet bridge doesn't seem to get overwhelmed, but they're also boarding through both L1/L2 and filling both aisles inside the A/C.

i agree 2 is plenty for a domestic short haul narrowbody.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:47 am

How about we have a "Le Mans" Boarding process.....if it's going to be a cluster **** we could at least make it interesting!

Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems that DL just implemented the technology/infrastructure poorly. There's no reason why it shouldn't "work".

Cost-benefit is another story though. Maybe DL pushed too hard on the cost side.

But don't they normally have at least two GAs boarding a mainline flight? I would think that with the gates and automated announcements, one could do the job, primarily focusing on customer service issues.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Been brought up couple times. Bottom line each discussion, good idea, bad implementation by DL. AF/LH/many others seem to be able to get it right, but not DL.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ijgordon
...But don't they normally have at least two GAs boarding a mainline flight? I would think that with the gates and automated announcements, one could do the job, primarily focusing on customer service issues.
Obviously that is the goal. Instead of having one agent scanning, and one handling the desk, only have one. Handle the desk and only need to go to the gate proper in case of an issue.

For now they are only testing so they still have a GA at the machines.

As far as speed, they might well be triggered to throttle based on the queue ahead. Or they might just be being safe while testing. Who knows.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Thanks for this post. I read the other day the email about the pilot program, and today landed at T2 and saw the setup. Look forward to more feedback.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

The gates DO work if implemented correctly. For example, Brussels Airlines uses them out of LHR and the process is pretty quick.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Delta said they welcomed my feedback. I sent them my feedback and received a canned response apologizing for the gate agent's behavior being unacceptable. I suppose if the gate is its own agent...
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Been brought up couple times. Bottom line each discussion, good idea, bad implementation by DL. AF/LH/many others seem to be able to get it right, but not DL.
This is the whole reason you "Field Test" a proposed product. It sounds like this is what DL is doing. The whole purpose of a FT is to determine issues (when actually used in the field) before you go full speed ahead with a product/service launch.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
This is the whole reason you "Field Test" a proposed product. It sounds like this is what DL is doing. The whole purpose of a FT is to determine issues (when actually used in the field) before you go full speed ahead with a product/service launch.
However, generally you make changes as things come up. DL just seems to be continuing the same flawed processes.

BTW used the JFK test gate this week. Premium could board via GA. Everyone else through the gate.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by willem176
Never understood why GA's are I rush to scan all the BP's and have us sit in the jetway.
must benefit them in some way as all airlines do it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by apodo77
Never understood why GA's are I rush to scan all the BP's and have us sit in the jetway.
must benefit them in some way as all airlines do it.
Because it helps them figure out who is/isn't onboard so they can accommodate (or not) standbys and/or decide if all expected pax are onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.