Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Delta One Tumi Amenity Kits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I don't get it. Why the heck would the standard D1 kits have "a dental kit with Crest toothpaste" while the blue kits for the A350 suites have "a dental kit with Colgate toothpaste".

Delta seems very proud to call out which ridiculously small tube of toothpaste will be included with the kit. But from a sourcing perspective, it makes zero sense why they are sourcing two different "dental kits".

-RM
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Delta seems very proud to call out which ridiculously small tube of toothpaste will be included with the kit. But from a sourcing perspective, it makes zero sense why they are sourcing two different "dental kits".
Gotta differentiate somehow?

That said, these are normal "travel size" toothpaste tubes (at least in J), I often use them for the rest of my trip. (As opposed to the tiny "single serving" tubes used by other carriers like AF and KL.)
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I don't get it. Why the heck would the standard D1 kits have "a dental kit with Crest toothpaste" while the blue kits for the A350 suites have "a dental kit with Colgate toothpaste".

-RM
This probably has something to do with the contracts they have with the manufacturers. They probably get the toothpaste for free or at a heavily discounted price. The manufactures get the advertising of having their product featured in the amenity kit, and the contract may also stipulate that the brand name is mentioned when DL advertises the kit.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bennos

Interesting that they specifically mention collections here... I wonder how many people have stacks of these things at home?
I have a small collection of kits....mostly vintage amenity kits. I have one from TWA in the 60's, Pan Am in the 50's or 60's, Northwest in the 80's and then all of the contemporary DL kits since 2009 when I took my first BE flight.

I used to have them on display in a powder room, which looked cool.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I hope they start early because I have a flight tomorrow night MSP-AMS-PRG.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Pretty suite... heh heh heh.

Ready to get my Rimowa one from Thai in a few weeks.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I know a few people that collect these, but it's usually one of each type per airline, not every one they get.

Also agree that lots don't use/take them. I normally grab the unused left behind kits on way off plane. (More to give away) Never failed in getting a couple extra.

I did notice that DTW baggage office gives these out for overnight distressed passengers. Curious if they'll use these new ones or the PS kits in future.
In my limited experience, the distressed passenger kits are actually separate: they include deodorant, a small packet of detergent and a translucent SkyTeam branded T-shirt. It's possible they ran out of those and started handing out the Delta One kits instead, though. If so, you're not missing much unless you're trying to be an amenity kit completionist - neither the bag nor the contents were particularly great. (I actually thought AA's distressed traveler kit was nicer - good thing, too, since they distressed me pretty heavily during my one misadventure trying them out.)

For a hot second after the Seattle Sky Club opened, they also gave out a really nice flat zippered Tumi pouch for your amenities when you showered - it looked and was sized a lot like a grade school pencil pouch, about 5"x8". It hasn't returned, though, and now that they are going to the dispensers I don't expect it to come back. It would have been a nice Premium Select amenity kit form factor, though...
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

-RM
Delta offers name brand toothpaste in a quantity large enough to be useful over your whole trip in Delta One, which I really appreciate. (In contrast, KLM's "A.ME" toothpaste from Galien Chemical Industrial Co comes in a tube with barely enough for one brushing and tastes half as good as it sounds like it should.)

The different brands are for D1 and Premium Select, not D1 and D1 "suites". It's likely because the Delta One toothpaste is a full travel size tube of Crest 3D White, but the Premium Select toothpaste is a smaller single use tube; for whatever reason it seems like Colgate has the tiny-tube market cornered, as I can't recall ever seeing a disposable sized Crest tube before in any hospitality kit.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
For a while, when I was flying more and working in homeless shelters, it sometimes felt like a third of the men were carrying around a variety of Delta amenity kits ( mine)😃 Sort of like when I donated 40 shirts to the inpatient psychiatric unit and it seemed like half of the outpatient clinic patients somehow looked familiar!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Lots of interesting details in that press release.

"Customers will enjoy a silver hard-sided amenity kit outbound from the U.S. and a soft-sided black amenity kit inbound to the U.S., allowing them to add variety to their amenity kit collection each way."

Interesting that they specifically mention collections here... I wonder how many people have stacks of these things at home? Looking forward to the complaints "I got a silver kit on my flight to the US... ...?".
Plenty of people, actually. Maybe not stacks, but I keep each unique one. We have BA "sacks" around the house used for shoes, and even for Rummikub and Carcassonne (game) tiles.

I sold a JAL kit to a guy on Craigslist whose mom "collects anything and everything airline related." He was stoked to also get the cardigan for her.

"Complimentary monogramming will be available at any TUMI retail store aside from airport or outlet locations. Customers should bring the patch, which is located inside the kits, to the store to be monogrammed."

Wow, really? Can I then post selfies of myself with it on social media, along with my brag tags and shiny new credit card?
Why not? It caught my attention that they were going to monogram it. I don't know your travel habits but a J seat is once a year for me, but many travelers it might be once a decade or once in a lifetime. If you look past the 'review' vloggers there are plenty of people just excited to have a J seat.

"Customers in the Delta Premium Select cabin, which debuts on Delta’s first Airbus A350 this fall, will receive a soft TUMI blue pouch which includes Malin+Goetz vitamin B lotion, a dental kit featuring Colgate toothpaste, an eye mask, socks and ear plugs"

Not too surprising (W generally gets a less fancy kit), but I thought earlier PR implied a fuller kit?
I don't remember the earlier PR. But compared to the BA Club World (J) kit, the only thing missing from DL premium economy is a pen and a lip balm. So it isn't bad at all.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by cxny1090
I flew JFK-SFO-JFK in D1 last week and got the new amenity kit on the first leg. I could tell it was new and the FA told me they just got them and was surprised I didn't see any press release regarding it. Strange how I got it a few weeks before the official launch date. The return flight had the current kit.

Flying ATL-LHR on 8/18, got the current hard-side kit, the new one would have been a nice change.
Flew VN onward LHR-HAN and got a nice kit which included three stickers - wake me for meal/duty free and do not disturb.
Toothbrush and single use toothpaste (12 g White Glow, Australian made) also, but I'm using those.
Generally bring toothpaste from home; my local CVS sells 2.7 oz/76 g tubes of Crest which can last for a relatively lengthy trip. The tooth paste in the DL kit is 24 g.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mot29; Aug 24, 2017 at 1:18 am
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
So that's like the third or fourth version. I'm still getting circa 2014 amenity kits that supposedly were replaced with newer designs two or three years ago. I should probably start checking the expiration date on the mouthwash.

By the way, I donate all of my amenity kits to the homeless shelter. The men there use them to store their toothbrush and so forth.
Funny, I also do that. I save up ten or so and feel a bit weird going down with what is basically palming off an indicator of a very privileged existence on people far less fortunate, but the shelter supervisor says they're really useful.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: DL DM MM
I actually only reuse the case from the original Tumi kit--the simple black one that's soft (still have a bunch of those in storage). I have all the subsequent versions but only use the grey soft one as a mini toiletry case. All the rest, I gave away.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:01 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by BenA
In my limited experience, the distressed passenger kits are actually separate: they include deodorant, a small packet of detergent and a translucent SkyTeam branded T-shirt.
Yes, I got one a couple of weeks ago. It's a Kiehl's branded black fabric bag, contents:

* Kiehl's lip balm (0.1 oz)
* Kiehls "creme de corps" all over moisturized (5ml)
* Dove anti-perspirant (0.5 oz)
* Schick shaving cream squeeze tube (size not labeled, about 0.3 oz)
* disposable Schick razor
* folding comb/brush
* dental kit (toothbrush/single-serve colgate/floss)
* Delta-branded cotton swabs (2)

I haven't gotten one of these in quite a while, this is a bit more compact than the last one I got
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: DL GM
Hmm, have D1 DTW-NRT next week (August 31), seems thats the day before launch but with reports of others getting the hard sided case, I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm a sucker for weird bags and stuff like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.