Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Daughter flying J Intl - Birthday in air - Will DL honor birthday requests?

Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum

Hi Folks,

My daughter and I will be flying JFK-BRU on Sep 3 (redeye of course). My 7 year old will turn 8 in the air. I want to do something special for her since we are traveling on her birthday. She loves airplanes and traveling and has already had the "cockpit tour" before. So, I was thinking:

1) See if the captain would take her on the "walk around" outside the aircraft (I doubt that this is possible)

2) See if the FAs would show her the super secret crew rest area of the plane

3) Worst case, have the FAs put an LED birthday cake (provided by me) on her breakfast before we land.

I am very conscious of the fact that this is a redeye flight...

Any ideas? I want to make this special for my travel buddy since I am now a single parent and love to make a big deal out of birthdays.

Last question - Any suggestions on who to contact at DL about these requests?

TFD
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
While I don't believe either of your specific tour-the-airplane requests could be honored - particularly the tarmac walkaround, when the captain needs to be 100% focused on safety - I do imagine a brief cockpit visit before or after the flight or at least a hello from one of the pilots along with a set of wings or commemorative trading card could easily be arranged. Even if she's seen it before, perhaps the pilots could point out unique features of the specific plane they fly...

I am pretty confident the crew would be happy to deliver birthday wishes with a meal service, though. You could consider an LED candle to be supplied with the ice cream sundae, for example, and I am sure they wouldn't mind bringing out a birthday cake you supply discreetly before the flight either.

I'd approach the gate agent before boarding begins and mention the special occasion, and ask if a cockpit tour is possible if the crew isn't too busy. If the GA isnt able to help coordinate, I'd ask the purser once onboard; they're also the right ones to approach about the special birthday treat requests.

Most flight attendants are totally onboard with celebrations as long as they don't disrupt other people's flights, so I'd imagine a reasonable request would be granted. I'd definitely phrase it as "she'd love to meet the pilots and/or see a new part of how the plane works", rather than a specific request they'd be unable to accommodate like the walkaround though... it's possible the crew might have some even cooler ideas if you let them be creative.

(And in the future, if you want an official onboard celebration, book your flight on Korean Air - in J and F, they offer preorderable birthday and anniversary cakes!)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Hi Folks,

My daughter and I will be flying JFK-BRU on Sep 3 (redeye of course). My 7 year old will turn 8 in the air. I want to do something special for her since we are traveling on her birthday. She loves airplanes and traveling and has already had the "cockpit tour" before. So, I was thinking:

1) See if the captain would take her on the "walk around" outside the aircraft (I doubt that this is possible)

2) See if the FAs would show her the super secret crew rest area of the plane

3) Worst case, have the FAs put an LED birthday cake (provided by me) on her breakfast before we land.

I am very conscious of the fact that this is a redeye flight...

Any ideas? I want to make this special for my travel buddy since I am now a single parent and love to make a big deal out of birthdays.

Last question - Any suggestions on who to contact at DL about these requests?

TFD
I'd say the most likely outcome for this would be your option #3 - putting the LED birthday cake on her tray for breakfast time. I feel confident the FA would be happy to oblige and if you have a great crew, will definitely make it a special occasion.

Depending on the crew #2 might be possible to see the rest area. It's about the same likelihood of a cockpit tour.

#1 going on the walk round - There is a ZERO % chance of that happening. Talk about major security violations. (I'm an airline pilot, so trust me, I know). Don't even ask as that will raise security questions and possibly a delay.

Happy birthday to your daughter! I'd ask the lead FA/Purser regarding the birthday cake idea and go from there once onboard.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
#1 is impossible and #2 would, IMO, put the crew in an awkward position. I would forget about those.

Bday cake/candle/wishes delivered by the crew is your best bet
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:45 pm

I would try to twitter @Delta your request, they seem to be pretty good at getting in touch with the right people
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Sadly, the walk around is a no go, but I'm sure the flight crew would be happy to show her the flight deck either before takeoff or after landing. I've done this for passengers many times, and always enjoy showing off my office.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
An AA FA was suspended for uploading pics from the employee rest area, and an AirAsia attendant was fired for letting her child in the area, so save putting any employees in an awkward position and don't even ask for that. The cake sounds safest.

I flew to Asia on four of my last five birthdays. Hitting the international date line and having it be my birthday actually makes my birthday shorter. Being on a plane also ensured there were to surprise parties, as my first year doing this was a milestone and there were threats of a party. Only once was the birthday even mentioned. A male FA came to my seat and quietly said "Happy Birthday." The GA noticed when looking at my passport and told the FA. I was Diamond at the time, so that may have been why.

On a DL flight to BKK, back when they had those, I was sitting across from a family with two young children. We landed a few minutes late. The pilot announced it was 12:15 am and the older girl, maybe 5, excitedly exclaimed, "Daddy, it's Ginger's birthday." lGinger was obviously the younger child. She started singing "Happy Birthday" and pretty soon everyone sitting nearby joined in.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, do not contact DL in advance. DL simply is not set up to arrange these things and will not direct FA's to undertake special tasks of this sort.

Second, ask the lead FA in your cabin at the time of boarding for some help with the birthday cake. The LED candle is fine, but you may find a FA reluctant to use it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I actually had an FA light a real candle and stick it in the dessert for the birthday of my seatmate on a flight two years ago. This was not on DL though it was surprisingly a US airline. FA didn't seem too concerned about it, though I wouldn't expect many to act the same way.

There is a 0% chance of the pilot taking the child on a walk-around with a US airline at a US airport. Not even so much because they would be concerned about a 7 year old not being SIDA badged, but more so because of the liability factor of it. If you're lucky though, maybe your flight will depart from a remote stand, in which case you can have a tarmac tour for everyone!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.