Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Routing to Baku, Azerbaijan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, HHonors Gold, AMEX SkyMiles Reserve, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hyatt Gold
Routing to Baku, Azerbaijan

I have a conference scheduled in the near future in Baku, Azerbaijan. I am concerned about the safety of connecting airlines into Baku. Assuming a departure from ATL, perhaps connecting to Paris or Amsterdam, what airlines connect from there to Baku?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
I think the only skyteam option is Aeroflot through SVO, but there might be something else I'm not aware of.

Neither AF nor KL flies to Baku as far as I know.

Dennis
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Aeroflot is the only SkyTeam airline operating at Baku. On the East Coast, Aeroflot has flights from JFK, IAD, and MIA. ATL-JFK-SVO-GYD is a possible routing, and would probably be best, since DL does fly JFK-SVO. Minimize your time on Aeroflot metal (which isn't as bad as it used to be, but DL is still preferable).

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Aug 12, 2017 at 11:36 am
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by gb88
I have a conference scheduled in the near future in Baku, Azerbaijan. I am concerned about the safety of connecting airlines into Baku. Assuming a departure from ATL, perhaps connecting to Paris or Amsterdam, what airlines connect from there to Baku?
Your only option for Skyteam is Aeroflot from Moscow, as noted above.

Other than that, the only "mainstream" carriers that fly into Baku are Lufthansa from FRA (with extremely limited service) and Turkish from IST. Or QR if you're willing to fly all the way to Doha first
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by WWads
Aeroflot is the only SkyTeam airline operating at Baku. On the East Coast, Aeroflot has flights from JFK, IAD, ORD, and MIA. ATL-JFK-SVO-GYD is a possible routing, and would probably be best, since DL does fly JFK-SVO. Minimize your time on Aeroflot metal (which isn't as bad as it used to be, but DL is still preferable).
Are you sure about ORD? SVO-ORD would be news to me, and super convenient too. A quick search doesn't seem to indicate that SU flies this route.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by eastindywalrus
Are you sure about ORD? SVO-ORD would be news to me, and super convenient too. A quick search doesn't seem to indicate that SU flies this route.
You're correct. I guess the route list on Aeroflot's Wikipedia page is out of date.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Minimize your time on Aeroflot metal (which isn't as bad as it used to be, but DL is still preferable).
OMAAT seemed to rather like Aeroflot last year. Gave me pause thinking about it.

edit: In J, natch.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:12 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I flew AZAL GYD-LHR and then connected to a Delta flight (all on 006 ticket). It worked reasonably well and AZAL isn't too bad. The 787 was empty so I got a row to myself. I imagine the reverse could work as well.

IRRC, AF codeshares on an AZAL flight from CDG a couple times a week.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
I flew AZAL GYD-LHR and then connected to a Delta flight (all on 006 ticket). It worked reasonably well and AZAL isn't too bad. The 787 was empty so I got a row to myself. I imagine the reverse could work as well.

IRRC, AF codeshares on an AZAL flight from CDG a couple times a week.
I doubt that the AZAL segment earns miles though (if that is important to OP). DL can technically issue tickets on almost any airline using 006 stock, but only ST/affiliated partners earn mileage.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ekozie
OMAAT seemed to rather like Aeroflot last year. Gave me pause thinking about it.

edit: In J, natch.
From flying prospective in J i d take aeroflot over most eu or us carriers..
The only negative is 2 2 2 config if you are alone

irrops or ground ops may be more questionable..
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:11 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I doubt that the AZAL segment earns miles though (if that is important to OP). DL can technically issue tickets on almost any airline using 006 stock, but only ST/affiliated partners earn mileage.
Of course no mileage. AZAL doesn't have many partners (not does Delta outside of SkyTeam).
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Just randomly interested it's pricey as well. Main Cabin ~5000 dollars for random 7 day stays on DL/KLM/Aeroflot with Multiple Cabins including some Business class is 22K...
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Google flights shows various options through AMS and CDG, connecting to Azerbaijan direct to Baku. You won't earn miles on the last leg, but that might be the best option without having to go through SVO.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Just randomly interested it's pricey as well. Main Cabin ~5000 dollars for random 7 day stays on DL/KLM/Aeroflot with Multiple Cabins including some Business class is 22K...
Sounds like broken fares.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Sounds like broken fares.
Probably. I just did ATL->Baku on delta.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.