Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL38/39 (SEA-HKG) Upgrade Offer - Anybody tried this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL38/39 (SEA-HKG) Upgrade Offer - Anybody tried this?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Zorak
I don't believe anyone has pointed out the other salient detail:

i.e. it's not a one-way upgrade, it's only for one segment.

I saw a similar offer on JFK-NRT back in 2015, albeit for $999 (if memory serves)
"If the upgrade is desired for both directions, the upgrade can only be requested within 10 days to departure of each individual leg and is subject to availability at the time of the upgrade inquiry."

It is valid for both directions if space is available.

I wonder which clause overrides the other.

-RM
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
"If the upgrade is desired for both directions, the upgrade can only be requested within 10 days to departure of each individual leg and is subject to availability at the time of the upgrade inquiry."

-RM
I don't think they contradict. One clause is about when you are allowed to purchase the upgrade, and the other is about which direction you can upgrade. If you are purchasing the upgrade 3 days before departure and you are returning 8 days later, you can purchase both. Otherwise, you'd need to wait to purchase the return, assuming the return met the other conditions and was available.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
My point wasn't that you could only upgrade in one direction, it was that the quoted price only covers upgrading a single segment, not the entire direction of travel.

Obviously you could choose to pay twice to upgrade in each direction (one segment each) if it remains available.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
So I'm within 10-days now of my return flight, and I called the phone number listed on the web page to try to upgrade. This is supposedly the domestic/international re-issue desk.

The agent had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, and neither did her supervisor. She could not get the "promotion" to pull up, and suggested that I would have to follow steps online to upgrade myself, and that I must be overlooking a way to do it online. She suggested to transfer me to the online helpdesk to help me with the website.

Sigh. This is very frustrating. I'm about to call the diamond line and see if they can at least pull up the webpage, but it's only accessible from the email I got and not from the website.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dennis88
So I'm within 10-days now of my return flight, and I called the phone number listed on the web page to try to upgrade. This is supposedly the domestic/international re-issue desk.

The agent had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, and neither did her supervisor. She could not get the "promotion" to pull up, and suggested that I would have to follow steps online to upgrade myself, and that I must be overlooking a way to do it online. She suggested to transfer me to the online helpdesk to help me with the website.

Sigh. This is very frustrating. I'm about to call the diamond line and see if they can at least pull up the webpage, but it's only accessible from the email I got and not from the website.
What a joke.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
I called the diamond line, which transferred me to another reissue desk (I suppose the internal one versus the external one, at least that's what she told me). I forwarded the email to the agent I got on the phone, and after being on hold for about 30 minutes (she was supposedly checking with her help desk, and they were checking with their supervisors), they found the offer posted to their internal bulletin board back in June, and she processed the upgrade.

Overall a lot more hassle than it should be (and that I expected), but at least I got it done. If DL wants to do such things on a larger scale they definitely have some kinks to work out, starting with internal communications.

In my trip on delta.dumb it's showing as having booked in Z class, but I'm not sure what the overall result will be for mileage and MQM earning, but I will update this thread once I get back.

Dennis
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I called the diamond line, which transferred me to another reissue desk (I suppose the internal one versus the external one, at least that's what she told me). I forwarded the email to the agent I got on the phone, and after being on hold for about 30 minutes (she was supposedly checking with her help desk, and they were checking with their supervisors), they found the offer posted to their internal bulletin board back in June, and she processed the upgrade.

Overall a lot more hassle than it should be (and that I expected), but at least I got it done. If DL wants to do such things on a larger scale they definitely have some kinks to work out, starting with internal communications.

In my trip on delta.dumb it's showing as having booked in Z class, but I'm not sure what the overall result will be for mileage and MQM earning, but I will update this thread once I get back.

Dennis
Sounds like you were reissued into a D1 fare class. You'll get 150% MQMs.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Shocked I tell ya. Shocked!
It can be frustrating calling in for help.

I bought a ticket yesterday and called in the evening to price F on the outbound. The agent was kind enough to waive the $200 fee. All I said was that's very generous of you in my kindest voice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.