Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL38/39 (SEA-HKG) Upgrade Offer - Anybody tried this?

Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium

Surprised DL is offering this.

I have a flight coming up next week that includes SEA-HKG-SEA. Already booked in J on the flight out, but now I see this, may consider it for the flight back. Of course, if I had seen this before I booked the flight I might have considered to wait for this. I might consider it on the way back as I have a K fare on the way back.

ARRIVE REFRESHED IN DELTA ONE.
ENJOY MORE PRIVACY, COMFORT AND EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE FROM $699 ONE-WAY.
Treat yourself to an elegant onboard atmosphere between Seattle and Hong Kong. Stretch out in your own private 180 flat-bed seat, savor chef-curated meals with thoughtful wine pairings and experience exceptional service at each moment of your journey. Your luxurious experience awaits in Delta One.

Act fast because quantities are limited. Call 1-800-325-0767 to upgrade today.

DETAILS

Origins & Destinations
Delta One upgrade offer for travel between Seattle and Hong Kong.
Fares
Starting at $699 one way. Additional fees/restrictions/baggage charges may apply.
Purchase By
August 31, 2017
Travel Period
July 3 – August 31, 2017
Advance Purchase
None
Blackout Dates
None
*For more information regarding additional fare rules, fees, and baggage charges that may apply, see Terms and Conditions.
*Terms & Conditions

Limited to Delta-issued tickets. Travel must include flights between Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) and Hong Kong International Airport (HKG), specifically flight numbers DL 38 or DL39. Travel may originate or terminate in other cities, but upgrades are limited to the portion of travel between Seattle and Hong Kong. Reservation must be confirmed in the following fare classes: W, Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K and L. Valid for travel on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday only. Travel must be completed by August 31, 2017. Reservations may be upgraded, based on availability, for $699 one-way within 10 days of departure. If the upgrade is desired for both directions, the upgrade can only be requested within 10 days to departure of each individual leg and is subject to availability at the time of the upgrade inquiry. Ticket must be issued on or before August 31, 2017 while supplies last. Offer limited to Delta and Delta Connection flights only. Other Delta codeshare/interline flights are not eligible. After ticketing, if future travel is rescheduled, all fare rules applicable to fare type used in original Delta ticketing applies. Change or cancellations are permitted, and any unused value of the ticket can be applied toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity period.

Travel Period | July 3 - August 31, 2017

Blackout Dates | None

Advance Purchase | None
Cancellations/Refunds/Changes | Tickets are nonrefundable except in accordance with Delta’s cancellation policy. Fees may apply for downgrades/reissues and itinerary changes. Contact a Delta agent or visit delta.com for details.

Baggage Charges | Allowances subject to size/weight limits. Contact a Delta agent or see Excess Baggage for details.

SkyMiles Partner Offers | SkyMiles partner offers subject to the terms and conditions of each individual offer. SkyMiles partners subject to change. All SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/memberguide.

Miscellaneous | Fares, fees, rules, and offers are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I assume you got that as an email? I'd definitely pay that to upgrade.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

It was a link I got in a "get ready for your SMF-HKG trip".

Expertflyer shows J9 and Y9 for my return flight, so it's definitely not oversold
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dennis88
It was a link I got in a "get ready for your SMF-HKG trip".

Expertflyer shows J9 and Y9 for my return flight, so it's definitely not oversold
That flight is 15 hours. I would have booked first (if I actually got the $699 or some reasonable figure), and asked questions right after booking.

Last edited by Carl Johnson; Aug 8, 2017 at 5:43 pm
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
So DL is following the lead of other airlines, I know AF has offered this at the gate from the MSP-CDG flights and KL makes these offers from AMS.
And I took one for BNE-LAX on VA a few years back -- but offered at checkin.
For $699, I'd grab it.
DL testing a new FCM program.
What about MQM earnings -- at the base fare or the upgraded fare?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Surprised to see such a price cut on a typically expensive J route.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Xeno
Surprised to see such a price cut on a typically expensive J route.
It's only for travel until 8/31 - aka the period when traditionally business travel is down, and thus less demand (relatively) for paid J. I assume this is also why there is the verbiage on the 10 days out - if they think they can sell it, they aren't going to discount it.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

The conditions don't say anything about what fare class you will be booked into, so I'm presuming that you will only get credit for your original booking.

Since I'm already in J on the outbound I will have to wait until this Saturday to see if they offer the same thing for the return flight. $699 certainly is fair value to me, so I might bite.

Last edited by Dennis88; Aug 8, 2017 at 3:19 pm Reason: can't type decent English today
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
This is a very good offer. I've been eyeing SEA-HKG for a while since during promotion in the fall time it can be had RT for $600 in coach. $2000 combined with this offer (assuming you'd get the same offer there and back) in J is pretty decent for ~25 hours in DL A330 J.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bj27
This is a very good offer. I've been eyeing SEA-HKG for a while since during promotion in the fall time it can be had RT for $600 in coach. $2000 combined with this offer (assuming you'd get the same offer there and back) in J is pretty decent for ~25 hours in DL A330 J.
Don't forget it has to be booked at least in K, so you're base fare is going to be more than a low V fare would be.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC SEA-HKG is the 767, so it's not the best D1 seats for such a long flight.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nope. It's either an A332, or a 772.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by Dennis88
Don't forget it has to be booked at least in K, so you're base fare is going to be more than a low V fare would be.
Ah -- didn't see that. Okay so my post is now invalid. A K fare is much more expensive than your normal X/V fares are.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by WWads
Nope. It's either an A332, or a 772.
A332 all the way!!! I haven't seen it as a 777 lately, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this one of DL's longest routes in their system? I know ATL-ICN/PVG, ATL-JNB, DTW-PEK/PVG probably top this, but anything else?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
I've gotten offers like that when there are plenty of seats in Delta One but economy is oversold. They do this to avoid Op-Ups. Take it. I gambled for an Op-Up and didn't get one. In that case, they filled up the J cabin that was less than half full two days out, presumably with cheap upgrades (and non-revs).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Originally Posted by bj27
Ah -- didn't see that. Okay so my post is now invalid. A K fare is much more expensive than your normal X/V fares are.

A332 all the way!!! I haven't seen it as a 777 lately, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this one of DL's longest routes in their system? I know ATL-ICN/PVG, ATL-JNB, DTW-PEK/PVG probably top this, but anything else?
JFK-DTW-NRT-SIN; etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.