Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to buy 10% of AFKL and AFKL to buy 31% of VS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to buy 10% of AFKL and AFKL to buy 31% of VS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:47 pm

Interesting news considering the recent publications regarding the strains in the AF-KL "marriage".
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by mpf48124
Interesting news considering the recent publications regarding the strains in the AF-KL "marriage".

Exactly my thoughts. I am not so sure this AF/KL marriage will last. We know KL is not happy since they are the "profitable" side for a long time. And as per Dutch law they are to be run as a separate entity ( personally never understood this setup ). But what do I know.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Jul 27, 2017 at 8:12 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Air France losing their shares while buying other's shares.

Sounds like AF is hedging their bets and can't hack it on their own. Not surprising to me since I think they suck as an airline.
Out of curiosity... How do you think publicly traded companies work?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Exactly my thoughts. I am not so sure this AF/KL marriage will last. We know KL is not happy since they are the "profitable" side for a long time. And as per Dutch law they are to be run as a separate entity ( personally never understood this setup ). But what do I know.
It doesn't really matter how happy or unhappy KL might be.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
It doesn't really matter how happy or unhappy KL might be.
I understand. However, it has been KL who has been the profitable arm of this merged body, while AF has struggled. Not sure how this could be detangled. Maybe or probably it lives on forever, regardless of Dutch feelings. Surely it is a marriage of two very incompatible partners.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I understand. However, it has been KL who has been the profitable arm of this merged body, while AF has struggled. Not sure how this could be detangled. Maybe or probably it lives on forever, regardless of Dutch feelings. Surely it is a marriage of two very incompatible partners.
Actually, the biggest drag ons earnings lately has been Transavia and cargo. Transavia was brought in by KLM and the cargo albatross is on both parties.

But, regardless, whining about other divisions or "corporate" is as old as the corporation itself and I think folks are reading too much into normal office politics.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
According to the e-mail I got from Virgin today, they are touting the onward connections beyond the UK on KLM and AF as well as access to all the skyteam lounges.

I just can't bring myself to long after any connections in the UK to get to mainland Europe.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
According to the e-mail I got from Virgin today, they are touting the onward connections beyond the UK on KLM and AF as well as access to all the skyteam lounges.

I just can't bring myself to long after any connections in the UK to get to mainland Europe.
All SkyTeam lounges? Not just AF/KL? That pretty much confirms SkyTeam membership.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
I'm personally more surprised by the AF/KL purchase of 31% of VS.
Why?

DL can't buy any more of VS, and they certainly wouldn't have allowed Beardy to sell 31% on the open market.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
How? I still don't understand what VS brings to AF and KL.
AF and KL were cut out of the DL/VS joint venture, and you must know that UK to US is the most lucrative of all transatlantic markets. So now AF and KL will finally get what they have been salivating over for the last several years - a slice of DL's UK-US market.

(That said, VS is forecast to plunge back into the red this year).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
The only thing missing is someone with a big Australia presence though perhaps we'll see VA come into this down the line
Hard to see how, or why.

Originally Posted by Crikey
Branson owns 10 percent of Virgin Australia Holdings, alongside one fifth stakes held by Singapore Airlines, Etihad, HNA and Nanshan Group.
Neither SQ nor EY will particularly want to assist Skyteam competitors though, of course, if either wanted to sell completely they probably wouldn't care who took their stake - but there is plenty of interest from the Chinese side [Nanshan group snapped up part of Air NZ's share, with Air NZ still retaining a small holding], and the HNA and Nanshan groups are not affiliated to Skyteam (or any other alliance).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by irishguy28
AF and KL were cut out of the DL/VS joint venture, and you must know that UK to US is the most lucrative of all transatlantic markets. So now AF and KL will finally get what they have been salivating over for the last several years - a slice of DL's UK-US market.

(That said, VS is forecast to plunge back into the red this year).
They weren't cut out. They had to agree to let DL/VS carve the UK JV out of the existing DL/AF/KL JV.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo

Especially since excluding CDG/AMS, it means yet one more connection.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFKL's rationale for investing in VS, as presented in this morning's 1H2017 results presentation
Attached Images  
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
There are some rumors stating that 9W also might participate. In exchange they will sell a part of 9W to Delta. That's gonna be intresting since Etihad already owns 24% of 9W (and the max% allowed in foreign hands is 49%)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.