Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to buy 10% of AFKL and AFKL to buy 31% of VS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to buy 10% of AFKL and AFKL to buy 31% of VS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobertS975
DL will have 49% voting shares assuming that all shares have voting rights and AFKL will have 31% voting shares. DL does not, in theory, gain voting shares in VS because it owns 10% of the AFKL shares. It may be able to exert influence on how AFKL votes, but one cannot do the equation which you offered with any validity.
...so, DL's influence over VS definitely increases (albeit by a little).
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
True, but planting a DL guy on the board of AF will have some influence over VS decision making. I mean, some influence- even very little - is better than none, right?
Some influence trying to get the French to do something may, in fact, be worse than not trying to influence them
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:14 pm
Suspended

I think we can all agree that DL would not do this if it was not advantageous to them. They're not stupid at Virginia Ave.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
Just found this on Twitter from Richard Branson...2 key takeaways for me.

1) It seems that VS and AF/KL are seeking to be part of 1 big JV with DL instead of 2 separate ones...that could be interesting given the slots that AF/KL have a LHR.
2) seems to me that come Christmas RB gets to knee Willie Walsh in the balls...and RB intends to collect on that debt!

https://www.virgin.com/richard-brans...irgin-atlantic
I think the most interesting thing from that post is his mention of AF/KL bringing feed from Europe. It is possible he simply means Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, & Rome (and there is certainly some non-minimal feed possibilities from those key markets), but is there maybe some intention to leverage AF/KL slots and planes to add a few other spokes to the LHR hub?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I think we can all agree that DL would not do this if it was not advantageous to them. They're not stupid at Virginia Ave.
Shhh, don't tell some people on FT that.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think the most interesting thing from that post is his mention of AF/KL bringing feed from Europe. It is possible he simply means Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, & Rome (and there is certainly some non-minimal feed possibilities from those key markets), but is there maybe some intention to leverage AF/KL slots and planes to add a few other spokes to the LHR hub?
That would make sense. I wonder if VS still holds the slots from the discontinued flights.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I'm basically not really considering AZ at the moment,

BUT if there is one unified JV between DL/AF/KL/VS then at least to me it would make some sense to re-allocate some of the ~10 LHR/AMS and ~7 LHR/CDG daily flights to something else. TBH I don't know if it's allowed to say take a slot from LHR/AMS and change it to LHR/CVG which would alter the calculus.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:18 pm

VS and AF/KL linking up in an increasing fashion would definitely be noteworthy for TATL Skyteam flyers (on both ends of the pond). Up to now, the VS and DL relationship seemed to bypass AF/KL mostly..I'd expect that to end now.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended

BUT if there is one unified JV between DL/AF/KL/VS then at least to me it would make some sense to re-allocate some of the ~10 LHR/AMS and ~7 LHR/CDG daily flights to something else. TBH I don't know if it's allowed to say take a slot from LHR/AMS and change it to LHR/CVG which would alter the calculus.
The timing of the slots may not align well with TATL schedules. I was thinking more along the lines of moving a handful of LHR-AMS frequencies to LHR-CPH or something like that.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
They weren't thought to be stupid in Zurich, either, but there's a precedent for a really bad outcome holding non-controlling stakes of multiple carriers.

In the 1990s Swissair initiated the controversial “Hunter Strategy”, a major expansion programme devised by the consulting firm McKinsey & Co. Using this strategy, Swissair aimed to grow its market share through the acquisition of small airlines rather than entering into alliance agreements. Swissair decided to acquire 49.5 percent of the very successful Italian charter airline Air Europe, the unprofitable Belgian flag carrier, Sabena, and significant stakes in the carriers Air Liberté, AOM, Air Littoral, Volare, LOT, Turkish Airlines, South African Airways, Portugalia and LTU...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair#Hunter_Strategy
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

The timing of the slots may not align well with TATL schedules. I was thinking more along the lines of moving a handful of LHR-AMS frequencies to LHR-CPH or something like that.
With 10 flights per day, if it's allowed to switch to a TATL flight, I'm sure they can find a way to make it work.

I really don't know how much DL/VS/AF/KL would benefit moving LHR slots to other European cities. I'm just not sure how many people they'd get to connect through LHR on VS/DL, when to me it would make a ton more sense to keep those people who want to fly ST, funneled through AMS/CDG anyway.

Plus I'd rather connect in AMS/CDG 10 times out of 10 than deal with an LHR connection especially if I had to switch terminals.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
With 10 flights per day, if it's allowed to switch to a TATL flight, I'm sure they can find a way to make it work.

I really don't know how much DL/VS/AF/KL would benefit moving LHR slots to other European cities. I'm just not sure how many people they'd get to connect through LHR on VS/DL, when to me it would make a ton more sense to keep those people who want to fly ST, funneled through AMS/CDG anyway.

Plus I'd rather connect in AMS/CDG 10 times out of 10 than deal with an LHR connection especially if I had to switch terminals.
That makes me think that AF/KL might move to T3. Indeed, if VS does join SkyTeam, I could see some sort of terminal swap that moves all SkyTeam carriers to T3.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Sure. But RB wasn't talking about adding CVG-LHR, he was talking about adding European feed.

we’re unable to enjoy feed from Europe or provide extra onward journeys for those customers we are now carrying to London. To address this we’ve been in discussions with Delta’s partners in Europe, Air France and KLM, to give us that network and connections
And, yet, millions of people connect through LHR every year.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
I believe it has far more to do with a combined joint venture than just that.

In addition, Delta did not sell any of its stake to AF-KLM.

To wit:
"China Eastern, a Delta partner, will also acquire 10% of Air France-KLM, while Air France will in turn buy a 31% stake in Virgin Atlantic from parent Virgin Group."
I follow now. Other articles make clear that Branson is selling his interest. So post closing, it will be DL 49%, AFKL 31%, Branson 20%.

So DL has controlling majority, putting aside any ability to influence the AFKL 31%.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They weren't thought to be stupid in Zurich, either, but there's a precedent for a really bad outcome holding non-controlling stakes of multiple carriers.

In the 1990s Swissair initiated the controversial “Hunter Strategy”, a major expansion programme devised by the consulting firm McKinsey & Co. Using this strategy, Swissair aimed to grow its market share through the acquisition of small airlines rather than entering into alliance agreements. Swissair decided to acquire 49.5 percent of the very successful Italian charter airline Air Europe, the unprofitable Belgian flag carrier, Sabena, and significant stakes in the carriers Air Liberté, AOM, Air Littoral, Volare, LOT, Turkish Airlines, South African Airways, Portugalia and LTU...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair#Hunter_Strategy
If you compare those acquisitions in character to those by Delta, you'll notice a significant difference. DL is using them to create closer ties with strategic partners in one of their core business areas. Swissair was pursuing a very expensive strategy that essentially represented a misunderstanding of the alliance concept.

At this point in time DL is so entwined with AF/KL in the TATL business that a collapse on the AF/KL side would be extremely damaging to DL anyway - share ownership or not. This may give them a certain amount of say in creating conditions on the AF/KL side that make a collapse unlikely.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Sure. But RB wasn't talking about adding CVG-LHR, he was talking about adding European feed.

And, yet, millions of people connect through LHR every year.
On BA for the most part who has multiple daily flights to a ton of European cities. Shuffling a few AMS/CDG to LHR flights isn't going to hold a candle to what BA provides.

Unless the new JV comes up with a few hundred more slots, they aren't going to be able to hold a candle to BA for LHR connection traffic.

I just don't think it' worth it when there are already 2 established connection options that have lower taxes and are for the most part easier to connect through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.