Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Metal, VA Ticket, VA Flight number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold

I am flying from Boston to Australia via LAX. The domestic legs are all operated by Delta, and the over water legs are operated by Virgin Australia. The ticket was issued on VA stock and the Delta segments are on a VA flight numbers.

The upgrades on the Delta leg were showing as ineligible. I called the Diamond desk and they said they were seeing the same thing and could not do anything about it. Is this right, has anyone had experience with this in the past?

Second question. How will the Miles, MQMs, and Dollars calculate on the Delta operated, VA flight number segments from BOS to LAX? This seems like a grey area on the website.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:33 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Miles and MQMs will be earned as if it is a VA flight, so according to this chart based on your VA booking class. MQDs I'm not 100% sure but I think as if it is a VA flight as well.

And yes these flights are officially ineligible for domestic complimentary upgrades. You can try asking at check-in, at the gate, and at the Sky Club if they can put you on the airport upgrade list, but not sure if it is possible. If it is, a good Sky Club agent is probably your best chance.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
And the fact that the ticket was issued on VA stock means that you may be able to buy up to either PE or Business if there is availability. Check with the VA agents at LAX. A 1 way buy up from PE to Business BNE-LAX about a year ago was about AU$1000. VA can do it with 006 DL tickets as well, but it is easier with VA tickets, I think.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mot29
And the fact that the ticket was issued on VA stock means that you may be able to buy up to either PE or Business if there is availability. Check with the VA agents at LAX. A 1 way buy up from PE to Business BNE-LAX about a year ago was about AU$1000. VA can do it with 006 DL tickets as well, but it is easier with VA tickets, I think.

I am flying PE. I booked this same trip last year also all on VA ticket stock, but it gave me Delta Flight numbers for the BOS-LAX leg. I was upgrade eligible and earned MQM / MQDs according to the Delta rules. It is interesting that it used a code share flight number this year.

I do remember the buy up being about $1000 AUD. I didn't take them up on it. When I went last year VA was in the process of transitioning the PE cabin to the smaller one with the better soft product. I had the old cabin one way and the new cabin back. Though nothing beats a flat bed, the PE cabin on VA is one of the best in my opinion.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by rcurry01
I do remember the buy up being about $1000 AUD. I didn't take them up on it. When I went last year VA was in the process of transitioning the PE cabin to the smaller one with the better soft product. I had the old cabin one way and the new cabin back. Though nothing beats a flat bed, the PE cabin on VA is one of the best in my opinion.
I'm generally pretty happy with W products, but I will say the new VA J is also one of the best out there, and I'd likely pay for the buy up (especially given how long those flights are).

And you will earn based on VA rules for DL (ie: "distance" not "revenue" based), meaning % of distance flown for MQD.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

They were able to add me to the upgrade list in the lounge for the VA ticketed DL metal flight, and it cleared.

On the return DL was able to reroute me to JFK due to weather issues on the east coast. Interestingly, the re-routed DL leg shows miles earned based on ticket price. The other DL operated, VA ticketed leg shows miles earned based on distance. I guess this gives a little insight as to what VA pays Delta for the leg.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
And yes these flights are officially ineligible for domestic complimentary upgrades. You can try asking at check-in, at the gate, and at the Sky Club if they can put you on the airport upgrade list, but not sure if it is possible. If it is, a good Sky Club agent is probably your best chance.
This is interesting because the domestic segments of a VA ticketed DL flights are upgrade eligible for VA elites. What you end up doing is logging into DL with your flight confirmation and request the upgrade when you select your seats.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've never been able to get DL to allow me to request an upgrade on DL metal, VA codeshare USA domestic flights when using my DL SM status.

To be fair I have never tried my VA status.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
To be fair I have never tried my VA status.
I used my VA status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.