Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Keep in mind that some of that buy-up for a non-status pax on economy tickets buys things that we're often used to getting complimentary because of our status that they otherwise wouldn't get or would have to pay for with their economy ticket. If a non-status passenger is planning to check bags, $79 becomes a lot less of a premium for F when F would include checked bags that is now $30 for the first bag and $40 for the second. So if a passenger has a choice of $79 for FC and getting "Free" bags or paying $70 at check-in for two bags, it becomes a bit of a no-brainer. The past couple trips my parents have been on to HI, they've bought F for the island hopper flights on HA. It's not that they needed F for a flight that is ~15-20 minutes takeoff to touchdown but they saw that the premium for FC over Economy was basically the same as what two checked bags would have costs anyway, so why wouldn't they buy-up at that point?
Yes, exactly. And to further that point, many of these are folks who are paying $70/$80/$150/whatever only a handful of times a year. That's a far different proposition than paying it every week on your business commute.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mikeef
Side note: I work for a large corporation whose policy is that they'll pay for the lowest logical airfare and, if I want to upgrade, I can pay for it myself. Perfectly reasonable. What's odd is that, after 7+ years with the company, I have yet to figure out the mechanism to do so, i.e., buy the ticket and write a check, buy it on the corporate site and then go back to Delta for the upgrade, etc. I know it sounds odd, but nobody in the company can tell me the proper way to book it. It's kind of like the YBYL policy; nobody knows what it really is.
Mike
I can completely relate! My wife travels a good bit more than I for business and one time I wanted to upgrade her on a BA flight from economy to PE, out of our on pocket, for her comfort (it was a trip to India) and to help her maintain status. Between calls to her company travel department and BA, let's just say by the end we left with our tail between her legs and she flew in economy. It's quite bizarre when you are literally saying to a company, "please, take my money" and they scratch their head and say, "er... we can't"

Regards
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scubadu
This depends greatly on what you value and whether $29 is a large or vanishingly small amount of money to someone, accounting for income/net worth.

Not everyone uses airport lounges just to try maximize alcohol/food intake in a given period of time.

Regards
If someone consumes two or three alcoholic beverages in a SC without bartenders (so that there's no need to tip $1 per drink or risk having the bartender think that too much alcohol has been consumed too quickly and potentially have the person refused boarding), $29 is less than the cost including tax and tip in an airport bar. Of course, those same drinks purchased in a liquor store would be much less than $29.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Quite sometime the waiver (for Diamond) have be raise to 250K.

Have you "feel" it is less Diamond ?
When you are at the gate, or feel more upgrade on domestic flights ?

Any feedback ?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
Quite sometime the waiver (for Diamond) have be raise to 250K.

Have you "feel" it is less Diamond ?
When you are at the gate, or feel more upgrade on domestic flights ?

Any feedback ?
People have adjusted and moved on. Those who think it's worth the effort are doing MQD runs or using partner flights to get there.

With all the other changes that have happened since, plus the variation in experiences naturally caused by routes, locations, booking patterns, etc., it would be hard to isolate any single change as the source of any particular difference in the DM experience.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
People have adjusted and moved on. Those who think it's worth the effort are doing MQD runs or using partner flights to get there.

With all the other changes that have happened since, plus the variation in experiences naturally caused by routes, locations, booking patterns, etc., it would be hard to isolate any single change as the source of any particular difference in the DM experience.
It is not about the DM experience...
It is more about if experience DM have "feel", it is less DM... (if they have more upgrade (GUC, more easy, more domestic upgrade on their regular pattern) than before the change, or less DM in boarding)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FBplatinum
It is not about the DM experience...
It is more about if experience DM have "feel", it is less DM... (if they have more upgrade (GUC, more easy, more domestic upgrade on their regular pattern) than before the change, or less DM in boarding)
What is the DM experience if not what DM's feel like they are experiencing?

I don't think anyone on FT has the actual aggregate data on total UGs, GUC patterns, etc. Or if they do, they certainly don't have permissions to share here. And if we're just asking for specific data points from individual people, then again we're just looking at anecdotal one-offs subject to the route/timing/etc. factors I mentioned earlier.

FWIW, from my perspective there was zero difference in my individual experience when MQDs were added nor when the DM waiver went up to $250k. Or if there was, it was more influenced by other factors specific to my own travel pattern than anything else. I suspect there very much was a noticeable difference to DL's bottom line and their aggregate numbers, otherwise they wouldn't be sustaining and further embedding the changes.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:13 pm

He's asking if people feel like there are fewer DMs or not.

TBH I have no idea and wouldn't even know what it felt like to have fewer (or more) DMs.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
He's asking if people feel like there are fewer DMs or not.

TBH I have no idea and wouldn't even know what it felt like to have fewer (or more) DMs.
Yeah, I get the question. But more importantly, I agree with you on the second point.

To take individual experiences, try to extrapolate to an aggregate, then use that extrapolation to infer whether there are more or fewer DMs....too many steps and too many variables.
rizrizriz likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by gooselee
Yeah, I get the question. But more importantly, I agree with you on the second point.

To take individual experiences, try to extrapolate to an aggregate, then use that extrapolation to infer whether there are more or fewer DMs....too many steps and too many variables.
They might have slimmed the herd a bit...but the grass has not gotten noticeably greener since.
JBJ2435 and TheHorta like this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I haven't noticed my upgrades going up. But a lot of it is probably due to FCM and some former diamonds just not paying for FC instead.

I am surprised GUC's haven't been easier to use though.

I was able to qualify for diamond the last two years with the $250K waiver and don't think I'll do it next year, I am sitting on a lot of miles (a lot of them thanks to all the spending I was doing on the Delta am ex) and I'll be getting a lot better return shifting that spend to another credit card and just use my miles to buy up to first on the flights I want to sit up front on (I do a lot of short hauls that I would probably clear as a PM anyway and if I don't clear C+ is fine) and use my chase points to pay for international J on an airline with a better product.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:11 pm

Any new data points regarding one-time waiver for MQD requirements? I made multiple requests last December with no luck and wound up doing some upgrades/runs to cover my minimum. Will be short $4K for MQD requirement this year and hoping they'll grant me a waiver this time. Any folks have any luck for getting a waiver for 2020 status?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by clsm
Any new data points regarding one-time waiver for MQD requirements? I made multiple requests last December with no luck and wound up doing some upgrades/runs to cover my minimum. Will be short $4K for MQD requirement this year and hoping they'll grant me a waiver this time. Any folks have any luck for getting a waiver for 2020 status?
You can buy the MQMs/MQDs you need starting in December but they are ultra expensive. Better to upgrade to F all of your remaining 2019 flights and at least enjoy the spend.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by clsm
Rene suggested that Delta had been giving out one-time waivers earlier this year for 2020 status. I didn't need it for 2019 status, so since I hadn't use the waiver I tried a few times over this summer and they told me it was never granted to anyone for 2020 status. One rep said the SkyMiles desk was still considering this, so I should call back later in the year. Haven't done that because I'll probably hit DM for 2021 status sometime in April 2020 due to MQM rollover and MQDs I'm expecting from some partner flights already booked in the beginning of the year. So I'm only expecting to be PM for a few months. If you are successful getting the one-time waiver for 2020 status, please update us here.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
IMO it would be pretty generous of them to grant exceptions for 2020 status given the requirements have been known for over two years now. Maybe for people with a crap ton of MQMs, or AMEX spend that is huge but still below $250k. But, it's their show, not mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.