Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Did they say whether or not this is a one-time-only event, or that these waiver waivers will continue?

I’m thinking (hoping) this is a one-time thing by Delta, and that waivers end with 2018, else why bother?
One would presume. The question is whether there isn't a more reasonable path going forward.

I get why they did this, but even having reached the spend requirement, it's pretty clearly unreasonable and the Delta cards are pretty clearly awful for actually using.

Aside from buffing the credit-card benefits it seems like a sliding scale would be interesting here.

If every $15,000 of card spend = $1,000 of MQD you could get there by:

a) Spending $15K on Delta flights or partner flights with the calculations applied
b) Spending $225K on the cards
c) Spending any combination thereof... e.g. $5,000 on flights + $150K on cards
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Diamond Waiver

2018 MQMs: 253,792
2018 MQDs: $7509
2018 AMEX Card spend $34-35K

Anyone else get this response after requesting a Diamond waiver:

Because the 2018 elite qualification program is in effect thr 31DEC2018 - we are not reviewing any requests for complimentary status in 2019 at this time.

Please direct your request again after 01JAN2019 - and we will be happy to review your request at that time.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, HH
I was Bout to request a waiver with:
MQM: 135k
MQD: 11k
Amex spend: 100k

So a question in HOW is everyone requesting? Maybe those calling the diamond line or email get higher hit rate than others?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm not going to lie, the waiver steams me. I probably spent $1K of my own funds doing FCM or getting re-issued in F to increase my MQD on certain tickets this fall when I had a pretty clear what my spend would be for the year. By following the rules, I wasted significant funds and get to compete for RU/RUC/GUC space with those who got the rules waived. If anything, this makes me less loyal.
ULDB65 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by anbhc
2018 MQMs: 253,792
2018 MQDs: $7509
2018 AMEX Card spend $34-35K

Anyone else get this response after requesting a Diamond waiver:

Because the 2018 elite qualification program is in effect thr 31DEC2018 - we are not reviewing any requests for complimentary status in 2019 at this time.

Please direct your request again after 01JAN2019 - and we will be happy to review your request at that time.
I called in last night to request a waiver and got the same explanation - call again in 2019.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta, American
I am 6K short in MQD's for Diamond for 2019... I have the MQM's and amex spending. Can anyone advise me on how to deal with this?

TIA
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
waiver is boiling me too. because of the rule change, I

1) Stopped using the Delta card altogether - I easily qualify anyway for Platinum, the waiver was helping me for Diamond

2) Increased my spending - purposely paying for higher fare classes on many tickets, ie, booking in M when K was available, to hit the MQDs

and I was winning at this game and was happy to know I would make Diamond the "real" way and with the pool being narrowed, meaning fewer Diamonds next year....

and now I see that everyone is going to get it for free and compete with me for upgrades anyway. Sucks. If they are going to announce a drastic rule change they should at least stick with it. By the time the waiver rumors came out, it was already too late for me to spend 25k on the card myself anyway.

Meanwhile I downgraded the Amex to the free version Delta Blue while I sulk and ponder 2019.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by klm14
I am 6K short in MQD's for Diamond for 2019... I have the MQM's and amex spending. Can anyone advise me on how to deal with this?

TIA
By Amex spending, I'm guessing you mean the previous $25K Waiver, not the new $250K requirement for DM? You can ask DL for the one-time exception, but it looks like processing these are currently on hold until 2019 based on some previous posts. If you don't want to risk it, you could do an MQD run on a partner.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 13, 2018 at 9:04 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by marcworld
waiver is boiling me too. because of the rule change, I

1) Stopped using the Delta card altogether - I easily qualify anyway for Platinum, the waiver was helping me for Diamond

2) Increased my spending - purposely paying for higher fare classes on many tickets, ie, booking in M when K was available, to hit the MQDs

and I was winning at this game and was happy to know I would make Diamond the "real" way and with the pool being narrowed, meaning fewer Diamonds next year....

and now I see that everyone is going to get it for free and compete with me for upgrades anyway. Sucks. If they are going to announce a drastic rule change they should at least stick with it. By the time the waiver rumors came out, it was already too late for me to spend 25k on the card myself anyway.

Meanwhile I downgraded the Amex to the free version Delta Blue while I sulk and ponder 2019.
It's unclear weather or not 25k would be enough to persuade the Delta gods to give a free waiver. I will end the year with about 255k MQMs, about 8k MQDs, and about 240k in Amex Spend. I was on track for the 250k, but things slowed a bit in the fall. I will not be relying on the Amex waiver next year, but I'm thankful for the wavier since I was so close as it was.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
delete
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Did they say whether or not this is a one-time-only event, or that these waiver waivers will continue?

I’m thinking (hoping) this is a one-time thing by Delta, and that waivers end with 2018, else why bother?
I wish this had never started, but given that it's been done, IMO it should become a one time only (once in a lifetime) courtesy waiver available for multi-year DMs. It would seem only fair that those who aren't asking for it this year because we don't need it (MQD requirement already met) have the option for some future year.
Seabilly and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
<snip>It would seem only fair that those who aren't asking for it this year because we don't need it (MQD requirement already met) have the option for some future year.
What in the world makes you think "fairness" factors into their decisions in areas such as this? If you are operating with that assumption you will be continually disappointed...

Regards
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
What in the world makes you think "fairness" factors into their decisions in areas such as this? If you are operating with that assumption you will be continually disappointed...

Regards
If a person has say $8K MQDs and $35K in spend, how is it "fair" for a person to believe they should be granted a waiver?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, United 1K, Bonvoy Plat Elite, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC, Nat'l Executive Elite
Requested a waiver by email Dec. 14, denied Dec 20. Also tried calling in and was also denied.

Stats:
MQM: 205k
MQS: 25
MQD: 14k
Delta CC spend: $61k

The email from Delta read:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your comments.

At this time we are currently not taking any exception requests for status. We have a few options that you can try to maintain your status for the 2019 year.

The first would be the Elevate Your Status promotion where you can purchase additional MQM's. Any dollar amount that is spent on the purchase of MQM's also counts towards your MQD balance.

The next option you will have is the Back to Status challenge. This challenge will require you to travel and we suggest that you not enroll into the challenge until you are ready to fly again at your normal level. The best time to start this challenge will be around the end of January beginning of February.

You can also request an exception again in mid January.

Thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to your concern.
We very much appreciate your Diamond Medallion loyalty to Delta and look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon.

Last edited by NC17376; Dec 20, 2018 at 7:58 am Reason: Forgot to include CC spend
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jboylan
Requested a waiver by email Dec. 14, denied Dec 20. Also tried calling in and was also denied.

Stats:
MQM: 205k
MQS: 25
MQD: 14k

The email from Delta read:
Ouch, so close on MQDs! I find this very interesting: "You can also request an exception again in mid January."

And also the "the Back to Status challenge" is that a new thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.