Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP! Incident on Delta 1343 LAX - DTW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PLEASE HELP! Incident on Delta 1343 LAX - DTW

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gooselee
OP, you could at least be internally consistent.

All within the same post, we have:
- Pax was in the cockpit with captain and co-pilot when her phone was snatched away.
- Redcoat would not allow pax to speak to the captain.
- Redcoat DID allow pax to speak to the captain.

Regardless, if this pax was indeed in on the flight deck, on the phone, and trying to argue with the flight crew, I'm not entirely surprised that this escalated in the way it did. I might also doubt this:

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel like it takes at least a little bit of cojones to walk into the cockpit to complain about something while a flight is actively boarding.
And maybe the Pilot took the phone to prevent recording of the cockpit for security reasons...if he/she did GRAB it, that is unprofessional. But I can understand their concern for what COULD BE happening on the phone while inside the actual cockpit.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Wow Delta is on a roll this week. This is good. Delta has had it too good for too long and needs a lesson in humility. Anderson was so incredibly smug and it rubbed off on the front line employees.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
And maybe the Pilot took the phone to prevent recording of the cockpit for security reasons...if he/she did GRAB it, that is unprofessional. But I can understand their concern for what COULD BE happening on the phone while inside the actual cockpit.
Security reasons? As if I can't find hundreds of YouTube videos of flight deck recordings... You can even find the aircraft specific flight manuals quite easily. Let's not kid ourselves.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Wow Delta is on a roll this week. This is good. Delta has had it too good for too long and needs a lesson in humility. Anderson was so incredibly smug and it rubbed off on the front line employees.
What? Sounds like someone has an iasue with DL. Anderdon ran an efficient, profitable airline. Every company has bad apples, but DL employees on whole are good, nice people.

The first incident this week, is looking badly for the complainer. This incident leaves some questions as to validity. Neither has shown DL in a bad light, nor is either indicative of a large problem.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Wow.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
If what you say is true, if this event unfolded with the drama and intensity you describe, then surely at least one of the dozens of nearby passengers will have documented it and we will all watch as the hysteria unfolds tomorrow. Or, perhaps we will hear nothing more.

But you really have no role other than to advise your friends that they can complain to Delta, complain to the police and/or hire a lawyer.

I'm not sure there's really anything much else to say Let us know how the story ends.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm not really going to comment on the specific issue the OP had (too much gray area). However, the OP did mention that they felt it incorrect that the decision for the pax to remain onboard was given to the FA.

While the Captain does have the ultimate (legal) responsibility, any cremember on board has the right to refuse a passenger. I'm an FO myself and there have been many times the Captain and I have decided to let the decision rest with the FA on whether to remove a pax. Ultimately they are the ones that have to deal with them while we're behind a locked door
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I'm not really going to comment on the specific issue the OP had (too much gray area). However, the OP did mention that they felt it incorrect that the decision for the pax to remain onboard was given to the FA.

While the Captain does have the ultimate (legal) responsibility, any cremember on board has the right to refuse a passenger. I'm an FO myself and there have been many times the Captain and I have decided to let the decision rest with the FA on whether to remove a pax. Ultimately they are the ones that have to deal with them while we're behind a locked door
Only problem is you're the one that will be in trouble if removal is improper.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Only problem is you're the one that will be in trouble if removal is improper.
Hence GagaPilot's statement that the Captain does have the ultimate (legal) responsibility. (A rather simple and universally held notion: one can delegate authority, not responsibility.)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Grog
Hence GagaPilot's statement that the Captain does have the ultimate (legal) responsibility. (A rather simple and universally held notion: one can delegate authority, not responsibility.)
The way Gaga worded it made it seem like the FA had the responsibility and authority. The Capitan could just choose to override.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The way Gaga worded it made it seem like the FA had the responsibility and authority. The Capitan could just choose to override.
We could trip on these two particular words for a while if we're not careful. I'll gracefully step back at this point.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
OP while your 'FRIEND' is looking for a pay-out or media hype, this is the opinion I would share:

#1 Overhead space is shared space. No passengers has the right to space or location in overbin as it is a courtesy. A FA has the right to take a bag from overhead, move it and check-in if determined too big.
#2 IF a passengers packs a bag so irresponsible that items break just because they are moved in overhead - there is absolutely 0 proof that is via a FA vs. another passenger vs. the passenger himself or herself. The easiest evidence of this - if the aircraft can share turbulence, hard landing, hard braking on landing - can't prove which of those events caused breakage. The fact that this person made a phone call because the bag was moved prior to departure shows they were setting up an incident likely with recording device on the other end.
#3 If the passenger requested to speak to cockpit/pilot - his/her phone must be turned off for security purposes - I'm not sure on grabbing it but wouldn't make sense to be in the cockpit recording anything.

Finally, this passenger should have been kicked off the plane as sounds stupid and juvenile. If this person is indeed a Silver - I'm curious unless using credit card how did they obtain this status as sounds like an inexperience traveler. I hope Delta bans this passenger going forward knowing there are some DL staff members reading this post - I hope they do report this to PR/Marketing to maybe handle this like an Ann Coutler.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by JonathanK81
As for the telephone game, I'm told everything FIRST HAND from the PAX.
You've given a lovely narrative, in which you state a sequence of "facts" rather emphatically (using all caps here and there, etc.). And yet, you were not there so you have no way of KNOWING with 100% accuracy, what actually happened, or what was actually said.

There are always 3 sides to the story... 1. The pax, 2. The airline, 3. The actual complete truth, which lies somewhere in the middle. You weren't there, so you have no way of knowing what might have been left out of the story, what might have been exaggerated, etc.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
OP while your 'FRIEND' is looking for a pay-out or media hype, this is the opinion I would share:

#1 Overhead space is shared space. No passengers has the right to space or location in overbin as it is a courtesy. A FA has the right to take a bag from overhead, move it and check-in if determined too big.
#2 IF a passengers packs a bag so irresponsible that items break just because they are moved in overhead - there is absolutely 0 proof that is via a FA vs. another passenger vs. the passenger himself or herself. The easiest evidence of this - if the aircraft can share turbulence, hard landing, hard braking on landing - can't prove which of those events caused breakage. The fact that this person made a phone call because the bag was moved prior to departure shows they were setting up an incident likely with recording device on the other end.
#3 If the passenger requested to speak to cockpit/pilot - his/her phone must be turned off for security purposes - I'm not sure on grabbing it but wouldn't make sense to be in the cockpit recording anything.

Finally, this passenger should have been kicked off the plane as sounds stupid and juvenile. If this person is indeed a Silver - I'm curious unless using credit card how did they obtain this status as sounds like an inexperience traveler. I hope Delta bans this passenger going forward knowing there are some DL staff members reading this post - I hope they do report this to PR/Marketing to maybe handle this like an Ann Coutler.
#3 is wholly inaccurate. Theres no security concern recording in the cockpit. There's plenty of videos/photos of commercial cockpits. Pilots invite people pre/post flight in all the time.

I agree that we're missing something, and passenger is likely very at fault. However, I have to laugh at the attempts to make recording a security issue that justifies action.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by btonkid12345

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Where do people get this stuff?

What's the threat here? Explain how a video leads to something bad happening.

OP: is your "friend" Ann Coulter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.