Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Total Delta newbie here....please bear with me on a few questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Total Delta newbie here....please bear with me on a few questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by MrsHammer
Our other airline choices from Nashville are American and Alaska airlines. Delta seems to offer the best connection locations (American is OHare...no thanks) and Alaska is Seattle. I am also looking at departing from Louisville, KY (we are just a little futher away from Louisville than Nashville).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
American is evil
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
I just got an all warm and fuzzy feeling.
Aww...... would you like a hug with that warm fuzzy feeling?

Darn! There goes the vibe!!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
The lesson here from most of the posts is keep checking the prices on a regular basis, if you see a good deal, buy it.

The issue with waiting too long is MrsHammer is traveling with a group, so to guarantee good seats together you can't wait as long as you might if you were a solo traveler.

As for the question "why would you buy the tickets any earlier than you need to?" Some of us are hardwired with the "cross that off the check list gene" and we can't fully relax until that particular item has been completed. But I'm sure none of you suffer from that...
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MrsHammer
Our other airline choices from Nashville are American and Alaska airlines. Delta seems to offer the best connection locations (American is OHare...no thanks) and Alaska is Seattle ...).

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
note that AS is a once-daily evening flight BNA-SEA, so you run the risk of having to take the next morning's flight to BZN in the event of a misconnect ... I can think of many worse places to be stuck overnight, but it's certainly not a desirable situation

same caveat for the return; the eastbound jet departs ~830am, so if there are issues (e.g., crew rest) with the 6am departure from BZN you'll have limited recovery options (AS might rebook on AA, but that partnership is also in flux)

I haven't yet been on one of Alaska's 737s in the new Premium Class configuration, but they should have most if not all the fleet done by next summer ... it seems that they're charging a ~$50 premium over coach on the mid-con routes
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Yes, I would also agree that now is way too early to book flights this far out, I'd wait around three months before you plan on flying out because 900 is a lot for domestic, I could fly to Europe in the main cabin for less, or a first class seat from SEA-JFK for nearly the same price.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Way too early to book.

Three months from now, SDF-BZN (one-stop in MSP) is $600 each in C+
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:21 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DL-Don
Way too early to book.

Three months from now, SDF-BZN (one-stop in MSP) is $600 each in C+
Important to note that three months from now (October) is very much Bozeman's low tourist season. Since the OP is looking at peak summer travel it would be prudent to begin looking a bit earlier.

One last word of advice to the OP, once you find a fare that is reasonable and affordable to you. Book it and don't look back. You will drive yourself nuts checking prices after the fact as there is nothing that can be done about it at that point.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
note that AS is a once-daily evening flight BNA-SEA, so you run the risk of having to take the next morning's flight to BZN in the event of a misconnect ... I can think of many worse places to be stuck overnight, but it's certainly not a desirable situation

same caveat for the return; the eastbound jet departs ~830am, so if there are issues (e.g., crew rest) with the 6am departure from BZN you'll have limited recovery options (AS might rebook on AA, but that partnership is also in flux)

I haven't yet been on one of Alaska's 737s in the new Premium Class configuration, but they should have most if not all the fleet done by next summer ... it seems that they're charging a ~$50 premium over coach on the mid-con routes
AS can still place you on a DL flight in IRROPS. Same with AA. They just don't do the codeshare thing anymore. Also with regard to AA, the codeshares aren't ending, but the earnings in each other program are for non-codeshared flights.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
If you want to be certain about having your family sit together, especially with an 11 yo, monitor the seating charts for the flights you want and book before you get closed out.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
If you want to be certain about having your family sit together, especially with an 11 yo, monitor the seating charts for the flights you want and book before you get closed out.
.....and then continue to monitor those seat assignments and watch for schedule changes. However, an 11 year old can sit alone on daytime flights and might enjoy the independence.

Also, remember the 24 hour (actually midnight the next day) free cancel period. When you do purchase tickets--not too early--watch prices until late evening the next day and then do not check further. Be happy about a fare you like and don't try to second guess yourself about whether you could have gotten a better deal by purchasing on a different day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.