Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Richard Anderson is new CEO of....Amtrak

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richard Anderson is new CEO of....Amtrak

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And don't forget he'll probably add FCM as well
Next time I take the train, I'll check the dining car to see if ham sammiches are on the menu.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
OK boys and girls...I am not going to give the number out...BUT...Richard Anderson's final "Right from Richard" employee newsline recording is still playing! It was about profit sharing day, 2016.

Just an FYI.....
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
When will you and others realize NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. NOTHING. IF the passengers can benefit at the same time then great so be it.

I read elsewhere in this thread about lowering pitch on a train except the fact that pitch wasn't lowered to any significant degree under Anderson's watch at Delta.

Anderson led Delta to the best operational performance in the history of airlines. They had some recent hiccups on that but it was after he left.
Will you at least concede that it's pretty easy to achieve those numbers when 50% of your competition is eliminated?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Will you at least concede that it's pretty easy to achieve those numbers when 50% of your competition is eliminated?
Then the numbers should be YUGE as Amtrak has had basically 100% of its competition eliminated for the last 46 years .
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
From the outside looking in, I'd say he did a pretty solid job at Delta. Delta is a cut above its U.S.-based competition and that's by no means something to be taken for granted.
Delta is like a polished 1990 Toyota Camry. It won't turn heads but it will get the job done satisfactorily. Southwest and JetBlue have always been the darlings of the airline industry. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Jun 26, 2017 at 6:02 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I used to like him; at one point he promised a reporter that a flight would arrive on time. Now---every business has VVIPs that they support. Still, since then I have never trusted him because there are so many factors on a flight being on time.

Amtrak needs good leaders. Hopefully Richard has grown up since his days at NWA.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Then the numbers should be YUGE as Amtrak has had basically 100% of its competition eliminated for the last 46 years .
I feel for the Amtrak passengers. They have absolutely no where else to go when the "enhancements" start rolling out.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Too bad the ME3 can't run competing service......or could they?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Did he bring along CE Woolman's desk?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Delta is like a polished 1990 Toyota Camry. It won't turn heads but it will get the job done satisfactorily. Southwest and JetBlue have always been the darlings of the airline industry. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
WN is the darling of the industry? I always read them as the Greyhound of the industry and they don't even have the ability to do the quick turns they were once famous for.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
WN is the darling of the industry? I always read them as the Greyhound of the industry and they don't even have the ability to do the quick turns they were once famous for.
They are known for their friendly and creative employees. There are hundreds of YouTube clips of their employees engaging the passengers. Not to mention the two free checked bags go a long way with customer gratitude. Delta was once known for their friendly employees. But that was before the merger with you know who.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I feel for the Amtrak passengers. They have absolutely no where else to go when the "enhancements" start rolling out.
https://www.boltbus.com/

Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They are known for their friendly and creative employees. There are hundreds of YouTube clips of their employees engaging the passengers. Not to mention the two free checked bags go a long way with customer gratitude. Delta was once known for their friendly employees. But that was before the merger with you know who.
Dont remember DL employees being known for being friendly. Not that tgey were bad either, but neither side stuck out one way or another. I think most of this type view is being biased toward the carrier one flew prior to merger.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Dont remember DL employees being known for being friendly. Not that tgey were bad either, but neither side stuck out one way or another. I think most of this type view is being biased toward the carrier one flew prior to merger.
I grew up in Memphis and knew several NWA employees. They were signed off by Satan himself. Ready to strike at the drop of a hat and wouldn't do anything more than required. They would have made the Flying Tigers pilots blush. My mother was on a SEA-MEM flight once and the NWA flight attendants moved people out of the back rows and they sat down and talked after they performed one drink service. They were known as Northworst for a reason.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Perhaps its regional, but I have always liked DL personnel. I'm Canadian, and the DL routes I flew when I could were the Asian long hauls and the domestic flights from YYZ/YUL to CVG and connecting onward. Delta personnel in Burlington VT were wonderful too, but then everything about Vermont is wonderful except, Winooski. . Back in the good old days, PDX-NRT was my favourite route because of the warm FAs. Now if you want unfriendly in my region, try American or United. Ugh.

In respect to Anderson, I just don't know how he will do. Airlines and passenger trains operate under very different conditions and the reality is that the passenger trains are third class citizens. Freight gets priority on the rails with the trucking industry wielding some potent lobbyists always trying to redirect infrastructure spending to their trucking routes. I don't know if he will be able to adapt to the fact that Amtrak gets treated like the unwanted child. It's a heartbreaking shame that North American passenger rail is treated this way considering its importance for national security and prosperity.

Considering Anderson's family roots, maybe he will be true to Amtrak and do his best to help it recover. I'm sure when he was a kid he heard the stories of the golden years of train travel, and maybe, just maybe, he is coming "home". And yes, I can dream, and hope that this isn't going to be a Throw Momma from the Train event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.