help with bkk routing?

Old Jun 23, 17, 3:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 416
help with bkk routing?

Greetings -

I am looking at getting married at Angkor Wat this summer. We are running into some issues though with ticket pricing and scheduling. We need four tickets.

Could someone give me some tips for getting to BKK on August 2nd? I am cool with flying an ULCC to a departure hub if that is better. Normally I fly out of DEN, but that seems absurd (2000 for coach).

Thanks!

EDTI: This needs to be on delta.
FlyingBeanCounter is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 3:24 pm
  #2  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
What is your return date?
C W is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 3:30 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Land of 10,000 Upgrades
Posts: 9,465
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter View Post
Could someone give me some tips for getting to BKK on August 2nd?
What research have you done?

It took me less than 60 seconds to find one-way fares on DL to BKK from the West Coast on July 31 for under $700.
UpgradeMe is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 4:21 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Posts: 3,703
You should also look into flights to SIN. From there you can get inexpensive Air Asia flights all over SE Asia.
CarmenOM is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 4:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,347
DL doesn't fly their own metal to BKK anymore.

I'd find something to HKG, SIN, TYO, MNL and then look for a cheap Asian ULLC to get the rest of the way. You should be able to find something to one of those cities for a reasonable fare
kop84 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 7:05 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: MPC Green
Posts: 35
"I'd find something to HKG, SIN, TYO, MNL"

Or out of Guangzhou (CAN) with CZ. They run deals often out of LAX and just get a DEN-LAX separately.
Counterpointing is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 7:19 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,512
Originally Posted by Counterpointing View Post
"I'd find something to HKG, SIN, TYO, MNL"

Or out of Guangzhou (CAN) with CZ. They run deals often out of LAX and just get a DEN-LAX separately.
There's probably also a routing with MU, through PVG or maybe PEK too.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 7:59 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 94
Quick search brought this up for me flying into HAN which you can then catch a dirt cheap flight to BKK from HAN and its flying out of HAN aug 13 (not sure if thats long enough but seems there are much cheaper tickets than you found
http://imgur.com/a/ti6D6

As a reference I got a delta coded flight out of dab into sgn and out of bkk to dab for $700 in november, so id say play around with different cities and dates because it seems that you can easily find a cheap ticket, especially out of big city like DEN
bstv69 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:02 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,512
Originally Posted by bstv69 View Post
Quick search brought this up for me flying into HAN which you can then catch a dirt cheap flight to BKK from HAN and its flying out of HAN aug 13 (not sure if thats long enough but seems there are much cheaper tickets than you found
http://imgur.com/a/ti6D6

As a reference I got a delta coded flight out of dab into sgn and out of bkk to dab for $700 in november, so id say play around with different cities and dates because it seems that you can easily find a cheap ticket, especially out of big city like DEN
.....especially out of an airport like DEN that is a major hub for one of DL's competitors.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jun 23, 17, 8:14 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 416
Thanks!

I found out we have to leave the fourth and come back the 16th. It is a wedding trip for just us. Originally we were going in July with some killer fares but circumstances caused some issues.

Let me check this this out and see what I can do. Thanks again, I appreciate the tips.
FlyingBeanCounter is offline  
Old Jun 24, 17, 8:44 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BWI
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 165
I suggest checking out China Airlines (CI) for LAX-TPE-Phnom Penh. I saw about $1400 rt with one way being premium economy. The connection in Taipei is very convenient and you will get some skymiles out of the trip. Check the Delta website for more skymiles info. EVA works also, but you will get no skymiles.
Dalewood is offline  
Old Jun 24, 17, 8:57 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter View Post
Thanks!

I found out we have to leave the fourth and come back the 16th. It is a wedding trip for just us. Originally we were going in July with some killer fares but circumstances caused some issues.

Let me check this this out and see what I can do. Thanks again, I appreciate the tips.
Be careful with separate tickets DEN-LAX and/or BKK-PNH. You put yourself at risk of real problems if something goes wrong; you get hit with higher baggage fees (a wedding in just a carry-on!); you may have costs of forced overnights to give yourself adequate schedule padding.

ITA Matrix finds 2-segment DEN-PNH with 9-11 day stays from $1,187 on United and ANA in early August. Three segments can get you China Southern, China Eastern, or Delta tickets (among others).
3Cforme is offline  
Old Jun 24, 17, 9:36 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 24
Any particular reason you are heading to Bangkok to get to Angkor Wat? I know flying into Bangkok from the US you end up in a different airport than you would use to fly to Siem Reap. Have you looked for flights itineraries that would get you to Siem Reap? Perhaps another hop off point to Cambodia would be cheaper.
charmed is offline  
Old Jun 25, 17, 7:33 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BWI
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 165
Originally Posted by charmed View Post
Any particular reason you are heading to Bangkok to get to Angkor Wat? I know flying into Bangkok from the US you end up in a different airport than you would use to fly to Siem Reap. Have you looked for flights itineraries that would get you to Siem Reap? Perhaps another hop off point to Cambodia would be cheaper.
+1 -- I completely forgot about that.
Dalewood is offline  
Old Jun 25, 17, 7:49 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Originally Posted by charmed View Post
I know flying into Bangkok from the US you end up in a different airport than you would use to fly to Siem Reap.
There are non-stop flights from BKK to REP, on Bangkok Airways and others. More flights than operated DMK-REP, actually.
3Cforme is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: