Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need advice for what to do at MSP for 3 hour layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice for what to do at MSP for 3 hour layover

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA1K
there is enough to do at MSP to not leave the airport. they have some good food/drink options and it has a mini mall in the middle of the terminal. at 3 hours i would not leave the airport at all.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by kpeterson
They have a golf simulator. http://www.pgamsp.com
Cool! 100% going to stop by the range!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's airside and upstairs, almost across from the Escape lounge.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Thanks for the suggestions. It's too bad escape left the PP program but from what was said in that thread it was necessary due to crowding issues.

I'll just check out the shopping areas and the two skyclubs. I have a couple new books I've added to my kindle and can always read if I cant find an outlet at the SC

I wish they still had the arcade a poster mentioned. I wish more major airports had gyms. It would be nice to get some exercise in on a long layover

ETA: Missed the post about the range. I'll check that out if my DTW lands on time and the fees are reasonable.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Thanks for the suggestions. It's too bad escape left the PP program but from what was said in that thread it was necessary due to crowding issues.

I'll just check out the shopping areas and the two skyclubs. I have a couple new books I've added to my kindle and can always read if I cant find an outlet at the SC

I wish they still had the arcade a poster mentioned. I wish more major airports had gyms. It would be nice to get some exercise in on a long layover
I wopuldn't be very happy about spending three hours in the Escape lounge, even if it isn't crowded.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Rock Bottom Restaurant/Brewery seemed decent although I've only been there once.

There's the small upstairs "observation deck" in the D gates area.

I think there are some free treadmills (with desks?) but personally I prefer walking around the airport. Although I guess if you had a bulky/awkward carryon, it's easier to use the treadmill to get some steps in w/o wrangling bags.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wopuldn't be very happy about spending three hours in the Escape lounge, even if it isn't crowded.
I love white Russians and I heard they have comp Kahlua and Grey Goose so that would be enough to keep me happy I wish Delta One would carry Kahlua or at least give a couple free Sky Bar drinks to D1 flyers at the Skyclub.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:02 pm

Does anyone know whether there are good views of the airport hotel that's under construction from airside places? If so, it could be slightly amusing to check the progress and see how it looks so far.

Rock Bottom is a small chain that's been around for a couple decades. It's not bad for slightly sophisticated bar food, almost with a bit of an Alaska theme. I haven't eaten in one in a while, but I used to like their salmon.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I would think at three hours, you should have time to visit the Mall of America. It might be difficult to get to downtown Minny, but the mall should be doable.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I would think at three hours, you should have time to visit the Mall of America. It might be difficult to get to downtown Minny, but the mall should be doable.
It's doable if you're willing to just go there, look around for a few minutes, and return to the airport, but this is hardly worth doing unless you want to say that you've been to the MOA.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:29 pm

Walking

If you want some exercise, the airport is great for walking. The last time I had a long layover, I put my luggage in a locker and walked end to end. The airport even has walking maps.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hoffmich45
If you want some exercise, the airport is great for walking. The last time I had a long layover, I put my luggage in a locker and walked end to end. The airport even has walking maps.
Good to know. If I have a flight with a serious delay at DTW I'll walk for exercise. It's exactly 1 mile from gate a1 to gate a78
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I've got a 3 hour + layover coming up too. I seem to remember there is a sushi bar there. Is it any good? I've always used Ike's or the little wine bar (blanking on the name) to grab a bite when the Sky Club food wasn't interesting. It's been a year + since my last layover at MSP. Any other good options I may not be aware of?
the sushi place is forgettable compared to options in other airports (ie, OFS in ATL)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
If you still wanted to visit the Escape Lounge (which I found very nice), they are still listed on Loungebuddy (dot com) with a $40 entrance fee. But if your FT profile is correct and you are Diamond, you would also have complimentary access to the Sky Club. Is Escape that much better (I haven't been to an SC)?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone know whether there are good views of the airport hotel that's under construction from airside places? ...
The Skyway between "G" and "C" has views of the hotel construction. Others views can be had from the high number "C" gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.