Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Alitalia economy benefits for Delta Platinum Medallions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold

Hi all,

I am flying NAP-FCO-TLV RT in October with Alitalia in Economy. I am a Delta Platinum Medallion (SkyTeam Elite Plus). I called Alitalia to see if that grants me any benefits on the ground/air and the customer service person said that the only benefit I get is an extra luggage.

I find that hard to believe, right? I should be getting the basics (check-in, security, boarding, lounge), correct? Do you know if that'll show on my AZ boarding pass?

Grazi!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:29 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Yes, you should be able to get the other benefits you list.

I have been turned away at the AZ NAP lounge before when flying only domestically, so make sure you present both boarding passes. In any case it's fairly small and the terminal is actually pretty nice so it may not be worth it. FCO the lounge may be a bit more worthwhile.

Have your PM card ready. I have actually been asked to show it to prove I was eligible for SkyPriority check-in with AZ (which I appreciated, since given Italy is not known for orderly queues, presumably SP would be a mess otherwise).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff

I have been turned away at the AZ NAP lounge before when flying only domestically, so make sure you present both boarding passes. In any case it's fairly small and the terminal is actually pretty nice so it may not be worth it. FCO the lounge may be a bit more worthwhile.

Have your PM card ready. I have actually been asked to show it to prove I was eligible for SkyPriority check-in with AZ (which I appreciated, since given Italy is not known for orderly queues, presumably SP would be a mess otherwise).
Thanks. Did you have to show your PM card during boarding/security as well?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:26 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by urifin
Thanks. Did you have to show your PM card during boarding/security as well?
In my experience, boarding was a demonstration of what you would expect an Italian queue to look like, and security lines were not generally an issue. But in both cases by that point you should have a boarding pass with Sky Priority printed on it which I think would suffice if needed.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bgriff

Now NAP is pretty decent, but it was horrible IMO before and during the renovations.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Hi.

Im flying CTA-FCO-JFK on Alitalia this June in Economy. Platinum medallion.

I understand the benefits I will receive as outlined above but what about access to any type of preferred seat such as bulkhead or exit row seating?

in general how is Alitalia service in economy on the TATL flights? Pretty decent food and wine I would imagine but I've only flown AZ on short hops intra Europe. Nothing like a TATL.

thanks.

Last edited by mridley2; Jan 2, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by mridley2
Hi.

I understand the benefits I will receive as outlined above but what about access to any type of preferred seat such as bulkhead or exit row seating?

in general how is Alitalia service in economy on the TATL flights? Pretty decent food and wine I would imagine but I've only flown AZ on short hops intra Europe. Nothing like a TATL.

thanks.
I flew BOS-FCO round trip in Premium Economy on Alitalia this past November. I was not impressed. The food was probably the same as regular economy and was mediocre. IIRC, the food on the return flight was better than on the outbound. They did serve limoncello liqueur!

The seats seemed to be in somewhat poor condition and were definitely not as comfortable as in PE on VS.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mridley2
Hi.

thanks.
At FCO as a Diamond, the agent checking in SkyPriority was unaware that of the +1 elite plus checked bag benefit (well, I was only checking 1 bag total, and my ticket/routing allowed a comp checked bag, so...) and also was unaware of any priority seating benefit. Had to ask for a Supervisor who straightened her out, and eventually approved exit row seats without charge. Hilarious because Air Europa, a "LCC", gave me free seats and a checked bag as an E+ on a HBO fare. Yeah, I earned nothing on Delta for it, but the benefits alone were worth it.

So be prepared to educate the agents in Italy as to your benefits. Also, hilariously, once on the plane, me and companion were only two in exit row. We spaced out and left the middle free between us once the door closed. The other 3-seater side was quickly filled by two random passengers who jumped into the aisle and window first. FAs didn't say anything. This was intra-Europe.

When I flew from JFK to FCO on AZ, the check in agent there knew about the XL seats (or whatever they call their bulkhead/preferred seats) but said they gave them to their own elites first so DL elites had to ask at port of departure for the long haul for whatever was left, and its basically given at the discretion of the agent you're working with.

I've never had a problem with lounge access on AZ by just giving them my BP (which reflects SkyPriority/ElitePlus). Safe travels!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Marriott, Hertz
I booked a flight with my family going SUF to FCO as a positioning flight for award travel. I am diamond medallion with Delta and I did input my SkyMiles number with Alitalia when I booked the tickets. Is this enough to get my elite plus benefits or is there something else that I need to do? Thank you in advance for your advice!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Yes you will get Sky Priority and STEP benefits which include AZ lounge access on international itineraries.

Make sure your SM number is on the BP and you should be ok in FCO at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.