schedule changes timeline

Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:35 am
Original Poster

schedule changes timeline

Even though I'm a "infrequent" Delta flyer, I do know that Delta is notorious for changing their flight schedules. In fact it has already happened twice to me on my upcoming trip and I still have 3 months to go. So twice I have had to readjust my flights since booking because the layover time changed to only an hour and I am not comfortable with that.

My question is this, is there a certain point before departure where they stop messing with the schedule? Seems to me that the closer I get to departure the less flexibility I will have if I have to book a different flight as far as seat selection goes. We are flying 1st Class if that makes any difference. If that happens and I have to reschedule my flights I am concerned that all the 1st Class seats will be either sold as upgrades prior or taken by DMs, etc.

I am hoping there are no more changes that would necessitate changing flights.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rjack22
Even though I'm a "infrequent" Delta flyer, I do know that Delta is notorious for changing their flight schedules. In fact it has already happened twice to me on my upcoming trip and I still have 3 months to go. So twice I have had to readjust my flights since booking because the layover time changed to only an hour and I am not comfortable with that.

My question is this, is there a certain point before departure where they stop messing with the schedule? Seems to me that the closer I get to departure the less flexibility I will have if I have to book a different flight as far as seat selection goes. We are flying 1st Class if that makes any difference. If that happens and I have to reschedule my flights I am concerned that all the 1st Class seats will be either sold as upgrades prior or taken by DMs, etc.

I am hoping there are no more changes that would necessitate changing flights.
Once your about 2 months out, schedule is firmed for most part.

Unless it's popular dates or once daily service, it's unlikely you'll have trouble rebooking. Upgrades will happen well after last schedule changes occur. Other than Hawaii, FC will not be sold out more than a week in advance. Where are you flying to/from? We could give you ideas for reroutes, if for no other reason IRROPS.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

I am flying from Detroit to Hawaii.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I am a moderately frequent Delta flyer (PM) and usually book 2-6 weeks out. I don’t recall ever having a significant schedule change on an itinerary.

I certainly did not realize that Delta was “notorious” for schedule changes!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
Agreed with others that by roughly the 2 month or 60 day mark things are pretty much set. Only once can I recall a schedule change occurring around the 1 month mark, and it was a very minor padding adjustment (flight was made 8 minutes longer).

I usually book 6-8 months out as my leisure travel plans are approved that far in advance. I’m used to undergoing half a dozen schedule changes in that time frame. On average only 1 or 2 are significant enough I have to call in for something to be adjusted. Most are just minor flight time changes, or flight number changes. I check all of my reservations weekly... that way if something has changed I can address it quickly.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I am a moderately frequent Delta flyer (PM) and usually book 2-6 weeks out. I don’t recall ever having a significant schedule change on an itinerary.

I certainly did not realize that Delta was “notorious” for schedule changes!
If you are booking 60+ days in advance you are almost guaranteed to have schedule changes. Nowadays, the only time I book 60+ days out is when I have found outstanding J deals for international flights and those usually have a schedule change. Back when it was cheaper to book 60 days out for domestic flights, I would routinely have schedule changes, but now that flights often get cheaper as you get closer to departure (I should have waited to book my Thanksgiving flights - they hit their low yesterday - doh!) (to a certain point of course) it has been a long time since I have had a schedule change. I have had planned equipment swaps on those flights though as close as a week before departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.