Weather waiver for 6/19 from Delta?

Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Weather waiver for 6/19 from Delta?

I just got a text saying that my PBI-ATL-PHL may be eligible for a weather waiver change.
I don't see any massive storms scheduled and nothing on the web site or the app.
Waiting for a call back. Anyone else get this?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
It is up on the DL websire. 6/19 - 6.21 for basically the DC - NY corridor.

EDIT: On DL.com look in that deep blue bar that runs under the pretty picture. In the middle is the advisory link.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Calling for heavy thunderstorms here in DC tomorrow
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
For those who are wondering, affected airports are:
Allentown, PA (ABE)
Baltimore, MD (BWI)
Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
New York, NY Kennedy (JFK)
New York, NY LaGuardia (LGA)
Newark, NJ ( EWR)
Newburgh, NY (SWF)
Scranton, PA (AVP)
Washington-Dulles, D.C. (IAD)
Washington-Reagan, D.C. (DCA)
White Plains, NY (HPN)
Source: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...s-weather.html
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Extreme weather across the US. AA has a waiver for PHX due to record breaking temps.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
They just rebooked me on an earlier flight into PHL. Hope I miss the weather. At least it gives me time to get in.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Extreme weather across the US. AA has a waiver for PHX due to record breaking temps.
Does extreme heat affect flight scheduling? Or is it just because many people will want to cancel their trips?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by paterwdb
Does extreme heat affect flight scheduling? Or is it just because many people will want to cancel their trips?
It can effect max takeoff weight, thereby causing them to reduce passenger load.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Weather in ATL as well

Mild delays at ATL due to waves of rain, no lightning (yet). At the gate on the plane now, there were about 30 standbys waiting for seats.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Also, hot air is less dense, so it decreases an aircraft's lift. This usually requires longer takeoff rolls, among other things.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Hmmm, I'm doing LAX-JFK redeye today and JFK-SFO tomorrow evening. I'll just stick around JFK tomorrow and work/attempt to SDC all day and play it by ear I guess. Fun!

Is it worth doing something like changing JFK-SFO to LGA-ATL-SFO or something with a short hop with lots of frequency up front to get out of the weather and give me a better chance to get to SFO at some point tomorrow?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by manacit
Hmmm, I'm doing LAX-JFK redeye today and JFK-SFO tomorrow evening. I'll just stick around JFK tomorrow and work/attempt to SDC all day and play it by ear I guess. Fun!

Is it worth doing something like changing JFK-SFO to LGA-ATL-SFO or something with a short hop with lots of frequency up front to get out of the weather and give me a better chance to get to SFO at some point tomorrow?

i wouldn't. JFK-SFO gets fairly high priority, almost as good as intl.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
​​​​
Originally Posted by exwannabe
It can effect max takeoff weight, thereby causing them to
reduce passenger load.
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Also, hot air is less dense, so it decreases an aircraft's lift. This usually requires longer takeoff rolls, among other things.
not sure how (if at all) flight deck automation has impacted this, but in the days when crews had to carry paper copies of the airplane flight manual and look up takeoff distances and speeds on the pages of performance curves, the data only went to 120 degrees F and could not be extrapolated for higher temps ... the pilots had to wait for the temp to drop before taking off
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
​​​​not sure how (if at all) flight deck automation has impacted this, but in the days when crews had to carry paper copies of the airplane flight manual and look up takeoff distances and speeds on the pages of performance curves, the data only went to 120 degrees F and could not be extrapolated for higher temps ... the pilots had to wait for the temp to drop before taking off
Theres also issues with certain parts only being rated to certain temps. Ie tires. Finally i believe theres also the issue of heat stroke for employees. Just becomes to hot to work safely.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Significant delays into and out of BOS as well, every day for the past month and continuing on at least for this week...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.