Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Premium select equipped planes a devaluation for Medallion members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium select equipped planes a devaluation for Medallion members?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:50 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
The loss of C+ is a big devaluation for me. I'm not super tall, so I don't care about it that much on domestic flights except to be closer to the front and to get off the plane faster. But for international flights it really makes a substantial difference in how much I can relax. I'm good at sleeping sitting up and the extra recline helps me while 34" of pitch is enough to be essentially unlimited for me.

PE, at least at the 200% of not-very-deeply-discounted Y pricing that we're seeing is just a non-starter for me. I can occasionally justify paid J for the ability to be functional immediately after stepping off the plane and use basically all of my miles for J redemptions. J is exciting and luxurious and feels worth the redemptions, even as the rates continue to creep to the insane.

PE, on the other hand, will not allow me to get a good enough sleep to be fully functional after a 10+ hour flight. It's not luxurious enough to be excited about. The little bit of extra space and better food are certainly nice (although I always enjoy Delta longhaul Y catering), but honestly I can pocket $1000-$1500 happily in exchange for those. Being slightly less uncomfortable just isn't worth that to me, I'd rather stick it out in C+ or Main Cabin, buy great meals before departure and on arrival, and take an Ambien. I'd sometimes pay about $20/hr to sit in PE, that becoming more likely if I had something to do right after I got off the plane and couldn't get into J. It doesn't seem like that's how it's being priced though.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
All of these "contributions" of "I wouldn't pay this, I wouldn't pay that". Delta isn't after the low revenue flyer making those claims. Delta is after the corporate contract that has no problem paying a preferred rate. I thought the new program was supposed to flush out the marginals?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
All of these "contributions" of "I wouldn't pay this, I wouldn't pay that". Delta isn't after the low revenue flyer making those claims. Delta is after the corporate contract that has no problem paying a preferred rate. I thought the new program was supposed to flush out the marginals?

Last edited by FSUnole03; Jun 18, 2017 at 8:06 pm
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I missed the memo where DL said they were eliminating the economy cabin due to lack of interest in selling those tickets.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Where I would like to see a Premium Economy product offered on Delta is to/from Europe. 6-8 hours in a PE product would be tolerable on that stage length and for the daylight westbound flights would be sufficient in my mind, assuming there is a reasonably decent service offered as part of it.
This, especially the shorter ones (US Northeast to DUB/LHR/CDG/etc.). The challenge I've always had with these is that the amount of time you can actually sleep even on the westbound is not much, when you account for ascent, decent, meal, etc. On the eastbound, it's just easier for me to stay up and deal with a long day, then get a good night rest at home.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by scongro
This, especially the shorter ones (US Northeast to DUB/LHR/CDG/etc.). The challenge I've always had with these is that the amount of time you can actually sleep even on the westbound is not much, when you account for ascent, decent, meal, etc. On the eastbound, it's just easier for me to stay up and deal with a long day, then get a good night rest at home.
have you perfected the art of reverse travel? the TATL overnight is eastbound, the long day would be after the westbound ...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
Yes it is a devaluation. No more extra legroom for elites. You'll have to pay the significant increase for the premium seats now.
Basically, the new premium-economy seat is 0.5 inches wider than a current economy-class seat. The only domestic first-class seat that narrow is the one on the 767 that I almost got stuck in for a recent HNL-SLC flight. Worse yet, who wants to be stuck in the four-abreast middle section, particularly the two middle seats?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by WWads
Biggest enhancements DL could do is add a few rows of C+, and allow RUCs to be used for upgrades to PS.
I would settle for complimentary elite upgrades on intra-Asia flights. I've been on flights in/out of Singapore, Manila and Guam that have departed with empty seats in the forward-cabin because diamonds in the back don't receive an upgrade. They could at least allow regional upgrade certificates for these flights, which aren't true business-class, aka Delta One. For Guam, Palau and Saipan, you get a domestic first-class pillow and domestic first-class blanket.

But yes, premium-economy should allow for an upgrade with a regional certificate. If not, you should at least be able to use ONE global certificate to upgrade into premium-economy and waitlist for business-class. Delta is saying you would need to use a SECOND global upgrade certificate to move into business-class if a seat was available after confirming into premium-economy.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aero0729
This may sound crazy.. but those seats are like BOXES. Comfort + may be better
Here is something less crazy. If Delta keeps having super-cheap airfare sales to Asia in economy-class, as it has of late, you might be able to buy an entire row of economy-class seats -- thus giving yourself poor man's economy -- for less than premium-economy or business-class.

I really hoped Delta would do something to improve the economy-class experience. Perhaps copying Air New Zealand or China Airlines, both of which offer a neat economy-class option to turn a row of economy-class seats into a large bed for a single passenger or a parent and children.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I would settle for complimentary elite upgrades on intra-Asia flights. I've been on flights in/out of Singapore, Manila and Guam that have departed with empty seats in the forward-cabin because diamonds in the back don't receive an upgrade. They could at least allow regional upgrade certificates for these flights, which aren't true business-class, aka Delta One. For Guam, Palau and Saipan, you get a domestic first-class pillow and domestic first-class blanket.

But yes, premium-economy should allow for an upgrade with a regional certificate. If not, you should at least be able to use ONE global certificate to upgrade into premium-economy and waitlist for business-class. Delta is saying you would need to use a SECOND global upgrade certificate to move into business-class if a seat was available after confirming into premium-economy.
Agreed. They offer it from ATL-SFO but a similar flight inside Asia and you get nothing.

And 100% agree. If you fly DTW->NRT you would burn FOUR GUCs if all cleared. That's insanity.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Agreed. They offer it from ATL-SFO but a similar flight inside Asia and you get nothing.

And 100% agree. If you fly DTW->NRT you would burn FOUR GUCs if all cleared. That's insanity.
I've already written Delta's customer service department about this. You should too.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It really hasn't totally worked. I spent $8k last year and maintained DM thanks to credit card spend and a large rollover. So, you can still exist as a marginal even though the days of $200 transcon fares are long gone. OTOH, when I did travel international, I did pay out the miles to ensure that I was flying J. There is no way in hell I will spend 16 hours on planes stuck in Y.

But, I would pay for Premium Select if it was a short enough route in the daytime. Otherwise, I really want that flat bed since I can sleep.

As for corporate customers, it depends. Some companies I have worked with have no qualms sending their employees on an international trip on an E fare and some will require that an employee on an international trip pay full J just in case the trip is cancelled.

I always assumed that DL's hubs are with cheaper companies because the intentional J/Y ratio seems smaller than UA or AA.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I always assumed that DL's hubs are with cheaper companies because the intentional J/Y ratio seems smaller than UA or AA.
What do you mean?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by woodford02A
What do you mean?
Detroit. There aren't many companies paying full-fare J in Detroit. By contrast, in Washington, with Dulles being a United hub, everyone I know on a flight longer than seven hours can get business-class paid for.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl

This is exactly what I feared when this was announced. Technically, you can go right up to the suites with a GUC, but with a smaller cabin it limited inventory it will be next to impossible. I'll be avoiding the A350's and the retrofitted 777's once those start...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.