Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Medallion Benefits on Air France

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AF will see you as SkyTeam ElitePlus (GM+) from DL, not PM specifically. Lounge access before departure is the big benefit.
realworld and FabCW like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AF will see you as SkyTeam ElitePlus (GM+) from DL, not PM specifically. Lounge access before departure is the big benefit.
This isn't true.

PM/DM get benefits above and beyond standard ST Elite+ perks. This includes, for example, advance reservations of exit row free of charge which a ST Elite+ from UX or VN wouldn't get.

Clearly, the fact that somebody is PM/DM must be passed on to AF to facilitate those extra benefits.

​​​​​​(On AF, PM/DM also get benefits not available to GM. Once again, rules on complimentary seats is a case in point.)
Old Nov 8, 2021, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EDB99
This isn't true.

PM/DM get benefits above and beyond standard ST Elite+ perks. This includes, for example, advance reservations of exit row free of charge which a ST Elite+ from UX or VN wouldn't get.

Clearly, the fact that somebody is PM/DM must be passed on to AF to facilitate those extra benefits.

​​​​​​(On AF, PM/DM also get benefits not available to GM. Once again, rules on complimentary seats is a case in point.)
You're misunderstanding. For most airlines for partner airlines they only see the alliance level status (STE or STE+ for Skyteam or Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald for OW, or *A Gold/Silver for *A). In most cases this is of little consequence as most grant airline partners status benefits simply based on the alliance status level alone.

However AF/KL does indeed see your specific DL level. It'll print on the AF/KL even. I believe at best allows DL elites to pick better seats than other Skyteam partner elites.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by realworld
So other than SkyMiles, MQMs, and the very limited chance of an upgrade due to overbooking, is there any other benefit else I would receive by booking AF on Delta?
Don't forget about the benefit of not having to fly AA.
But more seriously, don't also forget you'll get EC 261 protections on your outbound on AF; you only get those on the return on AA.
I put a slightly higher value on that than the "very limited chance of an upgrade", FWIW.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I'd also look at the equipment. As of now, AA is flying a 789 vs AF 773. The AF 77W will be 10 across in economy vs 9 across on AA 789
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atldiamond
I'd also look at the equipment. As of now, AA is flying a 789 vs AF 773. The AF 77W will be 10 across in economy vs 9 across on AA 789
The 787 is a narrower plane. I think the seat widths are effectively the same between the two types of aircraft, mostly ~17" in coach. And both have a group of 3 by the window. Of course you get the better cabin air and larger window on the 789.
That said, a few hundred dollars savings on a coach ticket is probably meaningful.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 9:22 pm

SkyTeam / AF Help & Intel

Delta Platinum Medallion.
Looking to take AF to DXB via CDG from ATL.

Did this trip previously - last November - and paid for business class because the fare was just over $2k. Also didn’t have SkyTeam status then.

Now, as I’m looking to book this trip, I’m seeing conflicting information with regard to AF’s treatment of Platinum and Diamond medallions.

Terms and conditions basically say “you get preferred seats” (which means next to nothing). Then, I hear multiple reports of various upgrade offers and discounted business class seats for medallion members.

So the question is, does anyone have any recent experience booking a Main or PE ticket and then upgrading via any method with AF (or KLM for that matter)?

Also, as for same day confirmed changes, does delta allow you to change between “delta” and AF flights on the same route(s)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 21, 2021, 10:25 pm

See Delta Medallion Benefits on Air France

I assume you refer to T&Cs here for "preferred seats": https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...yteam-benefits

But perhaps you missed this small text:
(3) Delta Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members will receive complimentary Air France Seat Plus preferred seating at no charge. Gold Medallions will receive a discount of 50% and Silver Medallions will receive a discount of 25%. Please visit Air France for more information on their Seat.
EDIT: KLM upgrade at gate is based on fare class. AF likely the same.

Last edited by tearex; Dec 21, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Old Dec 21, 2021, 10:28 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
There are upgrades for cash often on or around check in, offered on the app. I saw an upgrade offer for my last flight to First for $2400 from biz. Was mildly tempted but my biz fare was $2200....Have had other cash offers (which I doubt is based on anything but the originally booked fare class).
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
There are upgrades for cash often on or around check in, offered on the app. I saw an upgrade offer for my last flight to First for $2400 from biz. Was mildly tempted but my biz fare was $2200....Have had other cash offers (which I doubt is based on anything but the originally booked fare class).

thank you for the insight!
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by tearex
See Delta Medallion Benefits on Air France

I assume you refer to T&Cs here for "preferred seats": https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...yteam-benefits

But perhaps you missed this small text:

EDIT: KLM upgrade at gate is based on fare class. AF likely the same.
Yes, that’s correct on the preferred seat. It is my understanding that’s really only for economy seats with extra legroom. Please correct me if I misunderstood.

Are you indicating KLM may upgrade at gate based on Delta status and/or fare class? I am looking at a return on KLM.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You used to be able to do a mileage upgrade award from Y to PE or PE to J (one class only).

I think the cost was 40k DL but not sure if that still exists. Assume you’d have to call to get it done and not sure if it requires AF to have Z space (same bucket GUCs clear into)
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Atwell43
Yes, that’s correct on the preferred seat. It is my understanding that’s really only for economy seats with extra legroom. Please correct me if I misunderstood.

Are you indicating KLM may upgrade at gate based on Delta status and/or fare class? I am looking at a return on KLM.
No, KLM will not upgrade based on status. They used to have a price table for miles+cash upgrades at airport based on fare class (but not status), but I believe there is no longer a fixed table and they will typically just offer some form of cash upgrades at check-in/airport.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 22, 2021 at 6:05 am
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve bought PE - J upgrades at the gate for ATL-CDG AF flights.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Atwell43

Yes, it is just extra legroom. Think of it like the equivalent of DL C+, not PS. This is the same for KLM.

Originally Posted by xliioper
No, KLM will not upgrade based on status. They used to have a price table for miles+cash upgrades at airport based on fare class (but not status), but I believe there is no longer a fixed table and they will typically just offer some form of cash upgrades at check-in/airport.
This is what I meant by upgrade at gate based on fare class - you could pay a set cash rate for an upgrade to J based on the fare class. For example, from my own data point in 2019, an economy award flight booked using SkyMiles (I forget the equivalent fare class) to J is set at ~$1k USD JFK-AMS. IIRC, such an upgrade could also be purchased ex-AMS at the lounge for KLM. More up to date info is likely to be found in the Flying Blue forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.