Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Trashing of Skymiles continues today: Fuel Surcharges for VS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Trashing of Skymiles continues today: Fuel Surcharges for VS!

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by aero0729
Right but Delta charges 85000. American charges 57500 and United is 70000 for partners but does not impose fuel charges

Also Delta's partners to Europe are inferior to Star and Oneworld
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am rather pleased with AF/KLM when I compare them to the *A carriers who do the route from YYZ & YUL. When the price is competitive I prefer AF/KLM to AC. In respect to the scam charges, you aint seen nothing until you do a redemption with Aeroplan and get dinged for US $1000+
Old May 28, 2017, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
I don't buy that. I think that DL could tell VS no if it really wanted to. VS needs DL more than DL needs VS.
^ Agreed. Delta offers VS a huge domestic and international network. I doubt there are too many connections from Delta to VS at LHR. VS has no domestic network and nothing international that AF or KLM can't offer at CDG and AMS.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
lolwut
Miles are just a form of currency. If you look at your ticket they even list them as SM. The rest should be understandable if you paid attention in economics class.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am rather pleased with AF/KLM when I compare them to the *A carriers who do the route from YYZ & YUL. When the price is competitive I prefer AF/KLM to AC. In respect to the scam charges, you aint seen nothing until you do a redemption with Aeroplan and get dinged for US $1000+
I actually think Air France is quite competitive, especially if you catch them with a BEST-equipped plane and are in business. The food is tasty, creative and French, the wines are thoughtfully selected and the onboard staff are quite attentive.

The commonly flung criticism of AF being subject to strike isn't really relevant when you're comparing with LH; German staff in every branch of aviation are almost as subject to deciding they don't feel like working.

You can avoid the strike problem largely by flying KL, but their product holds up far less well. Delfta is objectively the worst of their three partners in all classes, I think - although the difference is mostly in catering and hard seating product, and the actual cabin crew do a fine job.

Anyway, I don't think it's a slam dunk at all that AFKL are undesirable partners. Even with me wanting to accumulate Alaska miles and take advantage of favorable airfares, I don't fly BA - no advance seat assignments in business? No thanks. And LH is fine, but I think they are broadly equivalent to AF...
Old May 28, 2017, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BenA
I actually think Air France is quite competitive, especially if you catch them with a BEST-equipped plane and are in business. The food is tasty, creative and French, the wines are thoughtfully selected and the onboard staff are quite attentive.

The commonly flung criticism of AF being subject to strike isn't really relevant when you're comparing with LH; German staff in every branch of aviation are almost as subject to deciding they don't feel like working.

You can avoid the strike problem largely by flying KL, but their product holds up far less well. Delfta is objectively the worst of their three partners in all classes, I think - although the difference is mostly in catering and hard seating product, and the actual cabin crew do a fine job.

Anyway, I don't think it's a slam dunk at all that AFKL are undesirable partners. Even with me wanting to accumulate Alaska miles and take advantage of favorable airfares, I don't fly BA - no advance seat assignments in business? No thanks. And LH is fine, but I think they are broadly equivalent to AF...
The only problem with AF is that they've managed to crash half of their fleet types. Not good for a first world airline.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Miles are just a form of currency. If you look at your ticket they even list them as SM. The rest should be understandable if you paid attention in economics class.
Sorry, I was too busy laughing at the notion that the reason DL has to charge 80% more miles is because of complaint compensation.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Sorry, I was too busy laughing at the notion that the reason DL has to charge 80% more miles is because of complaint compensation.
Let's not forget that DL now owns 49% in VS. So, this benefits DL in the end...
Old May 28, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The only problem with AF is that they've managed to crash half of their fleet types. Not good for a first world airline.
Kinda bad reasoning but it's personal opinion, I respect that.
If you're not too nitpicky of the dash sub-type, Southwest managed to crash 100% of their fleet type. I guess there is no LUV for you.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
Kinda bad reasoning but it's personal opinion, I respect that.
If you're not too nitpicky of the dash sub-type, Southwest managed to crash 100% of their fleet type. I guess there is no LUV for you.
Lol good point.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
For two years in a row (2015, 2016) we were fortunate to get award tickets LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX to visit Kruger National Park in May/June for 80,000 + $100 pp each way. That's the only reason I saved DL miles but those good days are now over...between the 95,000 miles pp each way and the now $500+ pp each way...it no longer makes sense for us.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
AA started charging more last year I believe. I know if I pick CX it cost more then AA a t least for F.
Let's not start spreading misinformation, AA/CX in F and J are absolutely identical in miles required.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Different currencies have different values. It's in general not as easy to earn bucket loads of miles at VS. They certainly don't hand them out left and right for silly complaints.
VS miles are by far the easiest to earn, and are at least worth more (it's all relative, of course) than much harder to earn/get DL SlyMiles.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Different currencies have different values. It's in general not as easy to earn bucket loads of miles at VS. They certainly don't hand them out left and right for silly complaints.
You don't call infinitely churnable 90K credit card sign up bonuses easy to earn?
Old May 28, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
(1) When an airline owns 49% of another airline, you'd think that would give them room to push back on something like this.
(2) Setting aside (1), as noted the case for quite a while was that SkyPesos didn't charge the fees that Flying Club did, so you had a miles-for-surcharge tradeoff. Pulling that rather erodes the value of opting to use SkyPesos.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ab_initio
For two years in a row (2015, 2016) we were fortunate to get award tickets LAX-LHR-JNB-LHR-LAX to visit Kruger National Park in May/June for 80,000 + $100 pp each way. That's the only reason I saved DL miles but those good days are now over...between the 95,000 miles pp each way and the now $500+ pp each way...it no longer makes sense for us.
in Y? Or J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.