Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Trashing of Skymiles continues today: Fuel Surcharges for VS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE

If you have been on the fence about whether it's worth being loyal to Delta or not. They will continue to push you away the best they can! Want to book a one way ticket from the US to Europe using Skymiles. Get ready to form over 85000 miles PLUS $500 for Virgin Upper Class.

American charges the same for First class. So yeah you'll have to pay fuel surcharges but I'd go in First on BA over those VS Herringbone seats anyday. Wow. Delta is in full control. I'm sure there's more to come. Delta is not finished with us yet !! It's not even a battle. They have nukes and we have butter knives.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I know Delta hasn't been great with many of its partners but do we know if this came down from DL or did it come down from VS? Either way it's garbage and makes redeeming the miles nearly pointless - for 85K +$500 you're probably better off just buying the J fare outright on VS....
Old May 28, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Wow! With taxes, that's around $700 for a RT award ticket. Not much of an award...
Old May 28, 2017, 11:37 am

But bloggers will keep advertising delta skymiles American Express card for "best-ever" bonus!
Old May 28, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
but bloggers will keep advertising delta skymiles american express card for "best-ever" bonus!
Name:  DL AmEx Picture.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  90.6 KB

Old May 28, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hmm, what's that other U.K. carrier that has fuel surcharges on award redemptions that is also collected by its biggest partner?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-56.html

Is there's a surprise, it's that VS/DL didn't start this years ago.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Hmm, what's that other U.K. carrier that has fuel surcharges on award redemptions that is also collected by its biggest partner?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-56.html

Is there's a surprise, it's that VS/DL didn't start this years ago.
Right but Delta charges 85000. American charges 57500 and United is 70000 for partners but does not impose fuel charges

Also Delta's partners to Europe are inferior to Star and Oneworld
Old May 28, 2017, 12:11 pm

Wow, this must be new. I would suggest OP find a flight operated by DL at 70k one-way.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aero0729
Right but Delta charges 85000. American charges 57500 and United is 70000 for partners but does not impose fuel charges

AF is inferior? BA charges much more in surcharges. There's a reason you can always get award space on them. BA F is considered really great, for a J product. AA has charged more for partners for awhile. DL just started and the fees are driven by VS. Who have long had fees but didn't charge DL SM members for them on awards.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:07 pm

I agree with the first part, but not the second. Oneworld is by far the weakest to Europe. Just the thought of LHR makes me shiver.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

One world is superior to Europe. I hate AF and they have no availability anyway if your talking awards. Finnair is outstanding. American recetly has been opening up space and has the best hard product. BA F is less money one way in fuel surcharges and same amount of miles as VS. When you have status LHR is a breeze. BA has a new check in area dumps you right in the lounge and Terminal 3 has the amazing Catahy Pacific lounges.

Also. It's not just VS. Other airlines now show massive fuel Surcharges! I see aeroflot. $460 to India one way !!
Old May 28, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
One world is superior to Europe. I hate AF and they have no availability anyway if your talking awards. Finnair is outstanding. American recetly has been opening up space and has the best hard product. BA F is less money one way in fuel surcharges and same amount of miles as VS. When you have status LHR is a breeze. BA has a new check in area dumps you right in the lounge and Terminal 3 has the amazing Catahy Pacific lounges.

Also. It's not just VS. Other airlines now show massive fuel Surcharges! I see aeroflot. $460 to India one way !!
SU always had them. AY only has two or three TATL to US. Otherwise it's AA/BA who despite your love for AA J are mostly universally not considered the best at all. Again BA has tons of space because they've longer had outrageous fees. AA might have some better seats then they used to. However their onboard service lacks.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
This is quite simply a bridge too far.

If DL is this desperate to discourage VS awards, just axe them completely.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WWads
This is quite simply a bridge too far.

If DL is this desperate to discourage VS awards, just axe them completely.
1)DL owns a chunk of VS, 2)VS sets the pricing. DL doesn't have final say.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
1)DL owns a chunk of VS, 2)VS sets the pricing. DL doesn't have final say.
I don't buy that. I think that DL could tell VS no if it really wanted to. VS needs DL more than DL needs VS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.