Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Trashing of Skymiles continues today: Fuel Surcharges for VS!

The Trashing of Skymiles continues today: Fuel Surcharges for VS!

Old May 28, 17, 12:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DFW or Somewhere Else
Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Posts: 1,104
The Trashing of Skymiles continues today: Fuel Surcharges for VS!

If you have been on the fence about whether it's worth being loyal to Delta or not. They will continue to push you away the best they can! Want to book a one way ticket from the US to Europe using Skymiles. Get ready to form over 85000 miles PLUS $500 for Virgin Upper Class.

American charges the same for First class. So yeah you'll have to pay fuel surcharges but I'd go in First on BA over those VS Herringbone seats anyday. Wow. Delta is in full control. I'm sure there's more to come. Delta is not finished with us yet !! It's not even a battle. They have nukes and we have butter knives.
aero0729 is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 12:19 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Now: SAT. Previously: SEA, DAY/CVG
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 5,886
I know Delta hasn't been great with many of its partners but do we know if this came down from DL or did it come down from VS? Either way it's garbage and makes redeeming the miles nearly pointless - for 85K +$500 you're probably better off just buying the J fare outright on VS....
ATOBTTR is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 12:33 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Posts: 111
Wow! With taxes, that's around $700 for a RT award ticket. Not much of an award...
SFCav is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 12:37 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,451
But bloggers will keep advertising delta skymiles American Express card for "best-ever" bonus!
uclacolumbiaunc is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 12:51 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Now: SAT. Previously: SEA, DAY/CVG
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 5,886
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc View Post
but bloggers will keep advertising delta skymiles american express card for "best-ever" bonus!
Name:  DL AmEx Picture.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  90.6 KB


ATOBTTR is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 12:52 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Hmm, what's that other U.K. carrier that has fuel surcharges on award redemptions that is also collected by its biggest partner?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-56.html

Is there's a surprise, it's that VS/DL didn't start this years ago.
3Cforme is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 1:06 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DFW or Somewhere Else
Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Hmm, what's that other U.K. carrier that has fuel surcharges on award redemptions that is also collected by its biggest partner?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-56.html

Is there's a surprise, it's that VS/DL didn't start this years ago.
Right but Delta charges 85000. American charges 57500 and United is 70000 for partners but does not impose fuel charges

Also Delta's partners to Europe are inferior to Star and Oneworld
aero0729 is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 1:11 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,821
Wow, this must be new. I would suggest OP find a flight operated by DL at 70k one-way.
michael_v is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 1:57 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,591
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
Right but Delta charges 85000. American charges 57500 and United is 70000 for partners but does not impose fuel charges

Also Delta's partners to Europe are inferior to Star and Oneworld
AF is inferior? BA charges much more in surcharges. There's a reason you can always get award space on them. BA F is considered really great, for a J product. AA has charged more for partners for awhile. DL just started and the fees are driven by VS. Who have long had fees but didn't charge DL SM members for them on awards.
flyerCO is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 2:07 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,821
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
Right but Delta charges 85000. American charges 57500 and United is 70000 for partners but does not impose fuel charges

Also Delta's partners to Europe are inferior to Star and Oneworld
I agree with the first part, but not the second. Oneworld is by far the weakest to Europe. Just the thought of LHR makes me shiver.
michael_v is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 2:49 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DFW or Somewhere Else
Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Posts: 1,104
One world is superior to Europe. I hate AF and they have no availability anyway if your talking awards. Finnair is outstanding. American recetly has been opening up space and has the best hard product. BA F is less money one way in fuel surcharges and same amount of miles as VS. When you have status LHR is a breeze. BA has a new check in area dumps you right in the lounge and Terminal 3 has the amazing Catahy Pacific lounges.

Also. It's not just VS. Other airlines now show massive fuel Surcharges! I see aeroflot. $460 to India one way !!
aero0729 is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 2:55 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,591
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
One world is superior to Europe. I hate AF and they have no availability anyway if your talking awards. Finnair is outstanding. American recetly has been opening up space and has the best hard product. BA F is less money one way in fuel surcharges and same amount of miles as VS. When you have status LHR is a breeze. BA has a new check in area dumps you right in the lounge and Terminal 3 has the amazing Catahy Pacific lounges.

Also. It's not just VS. Other airlines now show massive fuel Surcharges! I see aeroflot. $460 to India one way !!
SU always had them. AY only has two or three TATL to US. Otherwise it's AA/BA who despite your love for AA J are mostly universally not considered the best at all. Again BA has tons of space because they've longer had outrageous fees. AA might have some better seats then they used to. However their onboard service lacks.
flyerCO is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 2:57 pm
  #13  
was WWads
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,703
This is quite simply a bridge too far.

If DL is this desperate to discourage VS awards, just axe them completely.
KDCAflyer is online now  
Old May 28, 17, 3:02 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,591
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
This is quite simply a bridge too far.

If DL is this desperate to discourage VS awards, just axe them completely.
1)DL owns a chunk of VS, 2)VS sets the pricing. DL doesn't have final say.
flyerCO is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 3:07 pm
  #15  
was WWads
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,703
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
1)DL owns a chunk of VS, 2)VS sets the pricing. DL doesn't have final say.
I don't buy that. I think that DL could tell VS no if it really wanted to. VS needs DL more than DL needs VS.
KDCAflyer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: