Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Opt In/Out for Medallion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
Agree that AA method is better. However on AA you need to be DM equivalent to get that benefit. And EXP has better upgrade chance than DM.

And blocking the middle C+ goes back to the problem of people flying together.

I say giving HOOS like the old days can work like charm. With DL semi-forcing to use FlyDelta to redeem those, why not add them right at departure and expire on arrival. Once you board IT knows your seat, if not C+/F then add a HOOS. That of course means DL is not thinking that fewer elites getting free drinks will noticeably lower the operating costs.
This policy would also have the advantage to DL of encouraging elites not to necessarily try to move from good regular (and especially preferred) coach seats to marginal C+ seats just for the free drink and (on many flights) better snack basket. This would leave more C+ inventory for DL to sell, assuming that they're not already doing optimal aggressive C+M.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:42 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This would leave more C+ inventory for DL to sell
Do people actually PAY for C+ middle seats?!?!?
Old May 28, 2017, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Unfortunately, I suspect that some people do, perhaps because they purchase C+ before looking at the seat map. Even middles in C+ could also be desirable for someone who's slender but very tall.

DL apparently sells some C+ seats--if not, middles in C+ would always be selectable by elites at time or purchase.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
I would say those who travel in a party of 2+. And there are more non-elites who fall for the marketing trick than you think, especially int flights.
And piggy back to my HOOS suggestion, I don't mind sitting in the back if I'm well boozed. That way DL can sell their middle C+ and have more middle seats empty at the back.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
Agree that AA method is better. However on AA you need to be DM equivalent to get that benefit. And EXP has better upgrade chance than DM.

And blocking the middle C+ goes back to the problem of people flying together.

I say giving HOOS like the old days can work like charm. With DL semi-forcing to use FlyDelta to redeem those, why not add them right at departure and expire on arrival. Once you board IT knows your seat, if not C+/F then add a HOOS. That of course means DL is not thinking that fewer elites getting free drinks will noticeably lower the operating costs.
While it's AA top tier EXP requires less to earn then DM. There's really no difference in your suggestion then what AA does. Except that the passenger would need a device. Makes no sense to go to all that trouble when instead could just add it to the FA smartphone. Of course we can see the upgrade list, while FA still can't. Thus I doubt this will be done anytime soon.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL GM, RIP SPG
Dealing with this exact problem on the phone as we speak. Flying back from Miami to NYC tomorrow, had a pair of perfectly wonderful exit row seats picked out. Our C+ "upgrades" cleared, and now we have been placed in two middle seats in completely separate rows.

This system is completely ridiculous. Who in their right mind would ever view being split up and stuck in two middle seats as anything to be excited about?

The entire concept of treating economy comfort as a separate cabin is the stupidest ....ing thing I have ever experienced in my life as a traveler. I used to be willing to pay up to a few hundred dollars more per ticket to fly Delta, because the benefits of being a medallion member merited loyalty.

Now that they've done everything short of putting a coin slot on the bathroom door, I'm a full-blown mercenary. What am I really missing out on? No medallion upgrades on the JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO routes I frequent the most. At best I'm getting a PFB and a 2" wider seat on a regional jet flight. Whoop de do!
Old May 30, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
Since the roll-out of this "feature", I'm now automatically being "upgraded" to C+ at the time of ticketing on all my flights, even though my opt-in preferences on delta.com are set to

C+: NO
F: YES

I've even gone so far as to uncheck both upgrade preferences, save, and then re-set to the above.

I HATE being "upgraded" to C+ middles, and like most everyone else would much prefer an aisle in the back. So far i'm 3/3 on getting the nice gate agent to move me to the C+ aisle that is held for pax with special services, but that streak of luck is going to end sooner or later.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Old May 30, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauly_long
Since the roll-out of this "feature", I'm now automatically being "upgraded" to C+ at the time of ticketing on all my flights, even though my opt-in preferences on delta.com are set to

C+: NO
F: YES

I've even gone so far as to uncheck both upgrade preferences, save, and then re-set to the above.

I HATE being "upgraded" to C+ middles, and like most everyone else would much prefer an aisle in the back. So far i'm 3/3 on getting the nice gate agent to move me to the C+ aisle that is held for pax with special services, but that streak of luck is going to end sooner or later.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
In addition to your profile, opt-in preferences are kept on a flight-by-flight basis for each itin. This will override the setting in your profile. Did you verify that C+ opt-in was turned off on your individual itin's in addition to your profile?

A number of us have verified that you can now self-downgrade yourself if you've been upgraded to a C+ seat you don't like.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
In addition to your profile, opt-in preferences are kept on a flight-by-flight basis for each itin. This will override the setting in your profile. Did you verify that C+ opt-in was turned off on your individual itin's in addition to your profile?
This is what I'm saying ... NEW bookings are being issued with "upgrades" for C+ selected, even though my profile says "NO" (and always has).

Confirmed that I can now self-downgrade on my latest booking made this morning.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
I would. Extra legroom exit row seats are usually *NARROWER* with the tray in the armrest. I also hate the LCD that folds up from below your seat vs. right in front of you.

That said, I almost always score an aisle in C+. But, I don't do many last minute purchases. And of course, as a Plat I'm not paying anyhow. Just saying I would for a long haul flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.