New Opt In/Out for Medallion Upgrades

Old May 25, 17, 10:06 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
New Opt In/Out for Medallion Upgrades

Hello, Is there a post on these Delta Medallion upgrade changes coming soon? Which is a better option?

Opt In
Get your upgrades automatically:
Set your preferences as opt in* and, when you receive a Complimentary Upgrade, you can now use the seat map to switch your seat to the one you prefer among any seat shown available for a Complimentary Upgrades.

Opt Out
Select your upgrades yourself:
Opt out of automatic Complimentary Upgrades and you can now use the seat map to switch your seat to the one you prefer among any seat shown available for a Complimentary Upgrade. As a Gold, you can select available Delta Comfort+ and First Class seats beginning 72 hours prior to departure.
flyernb is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 10:09 am
  #2  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
If you opt out, and the upgrade sweep clears, you'll likely miss out on some upgrades.
davetravels is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 10:13 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Why would anyone opt out?
flyernb is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 10:14 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
I know my upgrades sometimes don't clear 72 hours before, but I can see seats available. I wonder if you opt out, you can select any open seat that is available 72 hours before?
flyernb is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 10:17 am
  #5  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by flyernb View Post
Why would anyone opt out?
Some people have tended to opt out so they aren't upgraded into a Comfort+ MIDDLE SEAT. I would usually prefer a non-Comfort+ aisle to a Comfort+ middle seat.
davetravels is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 10:22 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Yes that's so true, totally agree on that! Good point!
flyernb is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 10:24 am
  #7  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by flyernb View Post
Yes that's so true, totally agree on that! Good point!
I think it's safe to say it a slightly different way . . . .

To be moved from a good aisle seat in "Main Cabin" (or window, if you prefer) to a middle seat in Comfort+, really isn't an upgrade, even if you get a free drink and a slightly better snack.
davetravels is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 10:32 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: CA
Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
Posts: 220
My profile has had the Comfort+ option unchecked ever since the option was known to me, I had that whole "upgrade" to a middle seat debacle occur once, never again. My tickets get booked, I select Comfort+ via my flight details if a decent seat is available then choose it myself.
burbanite is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 10:57 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,527
Originally Posted by burbanite View Post
My profile has had the Comfort+ option unchecked ever since the option was known to me, I had that whole "upgrade" to a middle seat debacle occur once, never again. My tickets get booked, I select Comfort+ via my flight details if a decent seat is available then choose it myself.
Exactly what I have been doing. I am 3/45 on upgrades to F so not too worried about that.
apodo77 is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 11:04 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CHA, MAN;
Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Posts: 11,085
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
I think it's safe to say it a slightly different way . . . .

To be moved from a good aisle seat in "Main Cabin" (or window, if you prefer) to a middle seat in Comfort+, really isn't an upgrade, even if you get a free drink and a slightly better snack.
In fact it is a downgrade IMHO
GRALISTAIR is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 11:13 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,527
Looks like the boxes to check are the same they have always been in my profile. Still just have First upgrades checked.

Is there a way to opt out of a C+ middle seat in your profile? If so I would be willing to check the C+ box. Couldn't find it if it exists.
apodo77 is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 11:14 am
  #12  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
Originally Posted by flyernb View Post
I know my upgrades sometimes don't clear 72 hours before, but I can see seats available. I wonder if you opt out, you can select any open seat that is available 72 hours before?
No, there has to be inventory in the WU/RU buckets for upgrades. Just because there are seats open does not mean there is also upgrade inventory. If you were not upgraded, it means there was no inventory in the buckets and you will not be able to select seats for free just because they are open and you opted out. The part you are missing is that while you can select the seat, if there is no upgrade inventory, DL will ask you to pay for it.

For C+ on TATL flights, there is no separate fare class for C+ and there are no auto-upgrades to C+ (so opt-in/opt-out makes no difference on these). You will be able to select any open C+ seats at your appropriate window.

Last edited by LBJ; May 25, 17 at 12:39 pm
LBJ is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 11:17 am
  #13  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
Looks like the boxes to check are the same they have always been in my profile. Still just have First upgrades checked.

Is there a way to opt out of a C+ middle seat in your profile? If so I would be willing to check the C+ box. Couldn't find it if it exists.
No, there have been no change for preferences. The only thing that has changed is that you can now downgrade yourself if you get upgraded into a seat that you don't like.
LBJ is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 11:20 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,527
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
No, there have been no change for preferences. The only thing that has changed is that you can now downgrade yourself if you get upgraded into a seat that you don't like.
Thanks. I will leave as is then.
apodo77 is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 11:20 am
  #15  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
So, I'm not really clear on how this works. My understanding is the "opt out" is the same checkbox that you uncheck to decline automatic C+ upgrades, right? The change is that if you qualify for the upgrade, and you have to box unchecked, you "get" the upgrade without an automatic seat change and then you just go in and manually select your seat?
pvn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: