Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX T&C change: max of two Miles Boosts per year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
False alarm:

Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
We want to clarify that the Miles Boost benefit and how it is awarded has not changed. The notification that American Express Card Members received was intended to explain how the Miles Boost benefit worked if multiple card accounts were linked to the same SkyMiles account. To clarify:

Print Wikipost

AMEX T&C change: max of two Miles Boosts per year

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 7:18 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
        While I agree the wording from Amex could be clearer, remember that the target audience is largely individuals who hold a single DL Amex and that's it. FTers who have multiple cards over Plat/Reserve and Personal/Biz are probably a very small minority.

My *guess* is that Amex/DL wanted primarily wantes to clarify that you can't earn more than two boosts per a single card. i.e. you don't get another 10k MQM after spending $75k on single Plat card, and you don't get another 15k MQM after spending $90k on a single Reserve card.

To me, that would be the ambiguous part for most cardholders, and is the exact target IMO of that table they included.

The additional language about multiple cards to the same SM account is curious, but reads like an afterthought to discourage people from just opening a second account of the same type and trying for the same results.

At the end of the day, however, I have no actual idea.
        ​​​
        Old May 14, 2017, 7:42 pm

Yeah, if the first thing you said was true, that's not what the change in rules said. And again, they are shooting themselves in the foot, it seems, by the annual fee revenue they will lose...
        Old May 14, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
        Originally Posted by gooselee
        While I agree the wording from Amex could be clearer, remember that the target audience is largely individuals who hold a single DL Amex and that's it. FTers who have multiple cards over Plat/Reserve and Personal/Biz are probably a very small minority.

My *guess* is that Amex/DL wanted primarily wantes to clarify that you can't earn more than two boosts per a single card. i.e. you don't get another 10k MQM after spending $75k on single Plat card, and you don't get another 15k MQM after spending $90k on a single Reserve card.

To me, that would be the ambiguous part for most cardholders, and is the exact target IMO of that table they included.

The additional language about multiple cards to the same SM account is curious, but reads like an afterthought to discourage people from just opening a second account of the same type and trying for the same results.

At the end of the day, however, I have no actual idea.
        ​​​
        Well, it just makes it more confusing, by not defining what it means by a "card account" (even the very worst lawyer will know to first define the terms they use, unless they intend to create ambiguity on purpose). Is a Plat upgraded to Reserve the same "card account" or a different "card account" due to product change? IMO it just makes it more unclear than it was before this "clarification".
        Old May 14, 2017, 10:43 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
        Originally Posted by RealHJ
        Well, it just makes it more confusing, by not defining what it means by a "card account" (even the very worst lawyer will know to first define the terms they use, unless they intend to create ambiguity on purpose). Is a Plat upgraded to Reserve the same "card account" or a different "card account" due to product change? IMO it just makes it more unclear than it was before this "clarification".
        Originally Posted by erasmusmrr
        Yeah, if the first thing you said was true, that's not what the change in rules said. And again, they are shooting themselves in the foot, it seems, by the annual fee revenue they will lose...
        Yeah, I don't know. I'm just guessing like all the rest of us.

The only other thing I'll add is a very good point by someone who identified themselves as a lawyer in post #14 of this very thread.

I just looked at a screenshot from the related thread in the Amex forum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-changes.html), and I also just got the May statement for my DL Biz Plat which shows identical language.

It seems key that Amex is touting this as a "clarification" of an existing policy, rather than a "change" to the policy itself.

For reference, here's the relevant text from my application for that card in early 2016: http://i.imgur.com/AYcbQof.png

Granted, this is not the "Supplement to the Agreement" that is being changed. Luckily, though Amex actually still has a cardholder agreement dated 3/31/17 posted so you can see what the text was changed FROM: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...03-31-2017.pdf

In case they take that down soon, here's the relevant part of THAT agreement: http://i.imgur.com/zctJTYA.png

Originally Posted by Amex March 2017 agreement
        How you can receive a Miles
        BoostSM each year

If you make $25,000 - $49,999 in eligible
        purchases during a calendar year, you may
        receive a Miles Boost award of 10,000 Medallion
        Qualifying Miles.

If you make $50,000 or more in eligible
        purchases during a calendar year, you may
        receive a Miles Boost award of 20,000 Medallion
        Qualifying Miles.

A calendar year is from January 1 to December
        31 regardless of when you open your Card
        Account. This means in your first year as a
        Cardmember you may have fewer months to
        accumulate eligible purchases toward a Miles
        Boost award.

Some Miles Boost award restrictions
        You can receive only one Miles Boost award
        for each Card Account. In addition, if you have
        more than one Platinum Card Account linked to
        the same SkyMiles account, you are eligible for
        only one Medallion award each year.
        Notable in both - the language about more than one card account is unchanged with this May 2017 clarification. However they updated it to identify the two thresholds as two separate MilesBoosts, and then added the table to show that it is 10k+10k at the two thresholds, not 10k+20k (which is how the previous language could be interpreted).
        Old May 15, 2017, 2:59 am
        A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
        Originally Posted by RealHJ
        To me, it's always been clear that you don't get a third (or fourth, etc.) injection of MQMs if you spend $75,000 on a DL Plat card or $90,000 on a Reserve card. The only reason someone could think otherwise is that a couple years ago, some of the surveys asked whether we'd like this.

OTOH, I would guess that if you upgrade and downgrade your card, flipping between Plat and Reserve to get additional MQMs, but without applying for a "new" card, it would be considered to be the same account Maybe this is what they're trying to stop. In other words, assuming only personal cards, you can get either 20,000 MQMs per year or 30,000 MQMs per year (or in between), but not 50,000 MQMs for less than the annual fee for one Reserve card.
        Old May 15, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
        Interesting tidbit in an email this morning which seems to contradict previous thought process.

Congratulations on reaching the first Miles Boost1 threshold with your Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express.

You've earned 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) and 10,000 bonus miles for spending $25,000 with your Card within the calendar year. Your bonus miles have already been deposited into your SkyMiles account.
        I upgraded to Platinum with offer a couple months ago. My DL Gold AMEX was already just under the MQD Waiver(25K) and shortly after the upgrade I passed the MQD Waiver and thus would pass over 25K.

And just this AM got the 10K MQM and 10K SkyMiles. I assumed would not get that unless it was "Another" 25K" purchases post upgrade?

Obviously not complaining. Is this normal?
        Old May 15, 2017, 7:31 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
        Interesting tidbit in an email this morning which seems to contradict previous thought process.

I upgraded to Platinum with offer a couple months ago. My DL Gold AMEX was already just under the MQD Waiver(25K) and shortly after the upgrade I passed the MQD Waiver and thus would pass over 25K.

And just this AM got the 10K MQM and 10K SkyMiles. I assumed would not get that unless it was "Another" 25K" purchases post upgrade?

Obviously not complaining. Is this normal?
        Yes, this is normal and not a change (and also I think not really a part of the updated language driving this thread).

Basically, when you upgrade/downgrade the same "account" between the various DL Amex colors (where your card # stays the same), any spend you've already made that hasn't been "applied" to a previous MilesBoost carries forward into the counter for your new card color.

So, if you had a Plat and spend $31k, you would have already received a 10k boost. Then you upgrade to Reserve and start at $6k to your next boost, so you only have to spend $24k more to get a 15k Reserve boost. Net is $55k spend for 25k MQMs in that scenario. Data point is this is exactly what I did last spring.
        Old May 15, 2017, 7:55 am
        A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
        Yes, this is normal and not a change (and also I think not really a part of the updated language driving this thread).

Basically, when you upgrade/downgrade the same "account" between the various DL Amex colors (where your card # stays the same), any spend you've already made that hasn't been "applied" to a previous MilesBoost carries forward into the counter for your new card color.

So, if you had a Plat and spend $31k, you would have already received a 10k boost. Then you upgrade to Reserve and start at $6k to your next boost, so you only have to spend $24k more to get a 15k Reserve boost. Net is $55k spend for 25k MQMs in that scenario. Data point is this is exactly what I did last spring.
        So does this mean that under the new rules, if you spend an additional $30,000 for a total of $85,000, you cannot get another 15,000 MQMs?
        Old May 15, 2017, 9:13 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
        So does this mean that under the new rules, if you spend an additional $30,000 for a total of $85,000, you cannot get another 15,000 MQMs?
        That was/is how it worked previous to this language update by Amex. If you had enough spend in a year and timed it right, you could even spend $50k on a Plat, upgrade to Reserve mid-year, and spend another $60k - resulting in 50k MQM on $110k of spend.

And again, there's no firm evidence that there are actual new rules, or if this is just a language clarification around the same MilesBoost rules that existed before May 2017.

Check out the links in my post just a few posts back. Everyone is getting worked up about the multiple card account language (the very last sentence of the updated section), but that language is actually exactly the same with this update as it was before it.
        Old May 15, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

THanks. Maybe I was reading it wrong and thought it didn't transfer. That is nice though.

Yah not the main point of thread but figured a good spot if it was 'new' or 'changed'.
        Old May 15, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Blinged Out
        Keep in mind last year there were targeted offers for some AMEX Skymiles Platinum cardholders for an additional boost level at $75k spend.
        Old May 15, 2017, 3:20 pm
        Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

We want to clarify that the Miles Boost benefit and how it is awarded has not changed. The notification that American Express Card Members received was intended to explain how the Miles Boost benefit worked if multiple card accounts were linked to the same SkyMiles account. To clarify:

Old May 15, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold

[[/LIST]
              Thank you for the update, it is most appreciated.
              Old May 15, 2017, 3:59 pm

So nothing has changed? All that for nothing? Well, I will say this, I called amex several times and was very specific in reading the new rule, she read with me from the bill, and said it had changed. Ok, I guess I stand corrected. I guess up to 100k mqm per year, with the 4 different cards...
              Old May 15, 2017, 4:03 pm
              FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the update clarification.

The best news about this actually is having your voice as a part of FT! Great to get info directly from the source, and we greatly appreciate your contributions here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.