Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX T&C change: max of two Miles Boosts per year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
False alarm:

Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
We want to clarify that the Miles Boost benefit and how it is awarded has not changed. The notification that American Express Card Members received was intended to explain how the Miles Boost benefit worked if multiple card accounts were linked to the same SkyMiles account. To clarify:

Print Wikipost

AMEX T&C change: max of two Miles Boosts per year

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
        Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
        I have no problem with people trying to get the best from this "system" and if you have a workaround that's great, but each Skymiles account is limited to two boost awards from the Reserve cards. So you can earn 30K MQMs. You then either keep them or gift them, but you can only get two awards for 30K, regardless of where they wind up. Yes, if your wife doesn't fly, she could earn 30K and gift them so you, and only you, would have 60K.
        I'm not sure if it counts as a boost until you apply it to your own account. I guess thats really my question. Do MQM gifts count as boosts?
        Old May 13, 2017, 5:31 pm
        Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
        Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
        Originally Posted by SeaHawg
        Again, no one really seems to know the language, but if this is intended to thin the ranks, the workaround may end up yielding better results for the flyer.
        That's not really related to the T&C change (if there is indeed a change) is it? By which I mean, a couple could execute the workaround strategy regardless.

Originally Posted by davetravels
        I'm single! Any thoughts?!?!?

You have a strange way of proposing
        Old May 13, 2017, 6:22 pm

So with the new rules, what should I do...Be just over 125k MQM, make DM for next year and start with 0 in 2019...Or, Be just under 125k, be PM in 2018, and start 2019 with almost 50k mqm?
        Old May 13, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL Platinum; HH Diamond; MR Silver
        I just chatted and talked with AMEX and they both claim that one have 2 boosts on the consumer reserve card and 2 boosts on the business reserve card. I talked twice with Delta and neither representative had a clue. I have charged just enough for my third boost yesterday. I will see whether a get the MQMs or not.
        Old May 13, 2017, 7:58 pm

I chatted with 2 reps this morning, they also had no idea. If you read the change on your bill, it states the new limit. Unless, again, we are all misunderstanding...
        Old May 13, 2017, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by dmacpher
        I just chatted and talked with AMEX and they both claim that one have 2 boosts on the consumer reserve card and 2 boosts on the business reserve card. I talked twice with Delta and neither representative had a clue. I have charged just enough for my third boost yesterday. I will see whether a get the MQMs or not.
        Yep - time will tell....LOL. I'm thinking that regardless of how it sounds with the ambiguous wording, since credit card companies typically treat personnel and business cards very separately, you'll get all 4 boosts.
        Old May 13, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
        Originally Posted by SeaHawg

There are obviously a few people who stack for sport on here, but I agree, why get DM status if you seldom fly? What's the point?
        Most of the stackers that I know are once a week flyers who would end up somewhere around GM status without Amex MQMs. I would not classify once a week flyers as seldom. A business+ personal reserve give 60K MQMs which gives at least plat and some squeeze out DM. I am always amazed at the amount of BIS flying DM requires without any assistance. Example ATL-LAX roundtrip 32 weeks a year and you would still have a very small F upgrade percentage burning RUCs.
        Old May 13, 2017, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
        Yep - time will tell....LOL. I'm thinking that regardless of how it sounds with the ambiguous wording, since credit card companies typically treat personnel and business cards very separately, you'll get all 4 boosts.
        Problem is if I assume i will not get credit for that spending, im not gonna spend...
        Old May 14, 2017, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by erasmusmrr
        Problem is if I assume i will not get credit for that spending, im not gonna spend...
        Someone has to be the guinea pig.
        Old May 14, 2017, 7:46 am

Nah, i think im just gonna cancel, not worth another $450. Still have no clear verification. 2 chats told me no change, phone call said big change.
        Old May 14, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
        I think it may be premature to outright cancel. The overwhelming data points suggest that nothing has changed for those who have two accounts that are personal and reserve.

Some posters have already stated that their statements with the new terms closed and they got their boosts like normal.

Ill certainly report back. I'm very close to my first business boost on an upgraded account that already paid 2 platinum bonuses and very close to a second platinum bonus on my personal.
        Old May 14, 2017, 8:13 am

1. I just chatted again, and he did confirm that was the case. 2 bonuses on only 1 reserve card and 2 bonuses on only 1 plat card.

2. What if I open a new skymiles number and get the bonus mqms there and then gift them to my original skymiles number?
        Old May 14, 2017, 9:22 am

When this is finally all sorted out, can someone make a wiki clearly describing the change?
        Old May 14, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
        Originally Posted by iflyalexair
        I think it may be premature to outright cancel. The overwhelming data points suggest that nothing has changed for those who have two accounts that are personal and reserve.

Some posters have already stated that their statements with the new terms closed and they got their boosts like normal.

Ill certainly report back. I'm very close to my first business boost on an upgraded account that already paid 2 platinum bonuses and very close to a second platinum bonus on my personal.
        Not to be difficult, but what data points are you talking about? The phone calls are unclear, because I can't tell exactly what was asked and we don't know what Amex/Delta people were told.

If you just got a statement you would have to be getting a third boost for it to be relevant. And in that case, you still might have "earned" it before the change so it's not relevant.

In your example, you state upgraded account and if that means Reserve, then it would be your first Reserve boost so it seems you should get it. If you personal platinum is credited to the same Skymiles account, then the new terms seem to say you won't get it. Please let us know.
        Old May 14, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
        Originally Posted by pharmawalk
        I'm not sure if it counts as a boost until you apply it to your own account. I guess thats really my question. Do MQM gifts count as boosts?
        Yes, it was the result of a boost. You spend 15K, you get a boost. It is still a boost regardless of where the MQMs go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.