Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft Incident

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Aircraft Incident

I'm new to the forum, I apologize if this is not the right spot to post..

I was on flight DL1921 (delta) on 4/15/17 from DTW to PHX. We were diverted for an emergency landing and pilot announced emergency vehicles would be standing by. Everything went smoothly, but we were never given a cause for the diversion, and a mechanic had been on board for 45 minutes prior to take off from DTW working on an "engine problem." I'm trying to figure out if there is somewhere to look up maintenance records, incident reports... anything to give a clue. Really, I'm just curious. The tail number is N362NW.

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2017, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like it was 4/5/17 and a different tail number - I looked up the tail number on Flightaware and that was nowhere near DTW-PHX in April, and when I looked up the flight number it shows a diversion on April 5, but doesn't show the tail number. No details on the why for the diversion.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by jd1368

I was on flight DL1921 (delta) on 4/15/17 from DTW to PHX. We were diverted for an emergency landing and pilot announced emergency vehicles would be standing by. Everything went smoothly, but we were never given a cause for the diversion, and a mechanic had been on board for 45 minutes prior to take off from DTW working on an "engine problem." I'm trying to figure out if there is somewhere to look up maintenance records, incident reports... anything to give a clue. Really, I'm just curious. The tail number is N362NW.

Thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk,jd1368. Please continue to follow this thread in the Delta Forum
Thanks....
Obscure2K
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 7, 2017, 8:45 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Nothing on AV Herald that I can find.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Thanks!
Could it have been a diversion for a medical emergency? Or to offload one or more problematic passengers (which I would expect an airline to try to be low key about when possible)?

An emergency doesn't need to be medical. However, if the term "emergency landing" was used, did FAs stop service and collect all items early and was everyone instructed to use the "brace" position? Were passengers in exit rows and those with lap babies visited by FAs at their seats for additional instructions? These things tend to happen when there's a genuine mechanical emergency that leads to a true emergency landing.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:59 am
Original Poster

It was a mechanical emergency- the plane never flew over 22,000 feet despite the fact that all planes around us throughout the route were in the 30-34000 range. The pilot announced a problem with the aircraft and announced fire trucks would be waiting on the ground though a normal landing was anticipated. Brace position was not used, but meals were collected early and flight attendants had to stay in their seats. We stayed at 6,000 feet until just prior to landing, presumably so if there was a major malfunction we would have time and altitude to spare. The rumor was that the problem was with a fuel line, just looking for an official report.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: DL,EK
It was a mechanical emergency- the plane never flew over 22,000 feet despite the fact that all planes around us throughout the route were in the 30-34000 range. The pilot announced a problem with the aircraft and announced fire trucks would be waiting on the ground though a normal landing was anticipated. Brace position was not used, but meals were collected early and flight attendants had to stay in their seats. We stayed at 6,000 feet until just prior to landing, presumably so if there was a major malfunction we would have time and altitude to spare. The rumor was that the problem was with a fuel line, just looking for an official report.
I would guess something related to pressurization since I can't see how a fuel line would limit your altitude.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was on one of these low and slow flights shortly before the merger. My understanding at the time was that some engine problem forced the pilots to turn off one engine when we were close enough to the destination so that it was the closest suitable airport.

We landed to a full display of airport fire equipment line up near the runway. [We had been warned to expect to see this as it was a precaution.] After we stopped, we sat in the penalty box for a few minutes while the situation was assessed. Then we taxied to the gate where some fire fighters in hazmat type gear boarded the aircraft and looked around before we were allowed to deplane. It was "interesting" but not particularly scary. In fact, I enjoyed the views when we were flying low and slow.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I would guess something related to pressurization since I can't see how a fuel line would limit your altitude.
Something like a defective fuel pre-heater could fit into that scenario. [operating but not at 100% capability for example]
Old May 11, 2017, 6:27 pm

So you weren't worried at any point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.