Wiki Posts
Search

Comfort+ seat poachers

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 2:37 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I've twice this month tried to check it after making a last minute SDC and got the "not available" error both times.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrcimino1
For next time....
When she asked you to get up and let her sit in 7-A, and you indicated here that you knew 7-A was unassigned, you should have right then and there said to her to produce her Boarding Pass for 7-A, which you knew was still an open seat, or sit in her assigned seat. If you don't stand up to BS'ers, then don't complain about the "smell" they bring you!
Yup, this is the right approach.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA
AFAIK, I've always been able to use the iOS app to see it until door closure. The last time i'm sure I did this was on a relatively empty flight last september where I voluntarily gave up a C+ seat for an empty row at a GA's suggestion, and I was nervously watching to make sure the row stayed empty through the boarding process as nonrevs boarded. (The GA kept her word and it stayed empty. ^)

Since then, I've been mostly flying upfront or on AF/KL so it's been less of a concern. I'll give it another try on this afternoon's flight to see if it still works and report back.
Just a couple days ago I was able to see the seat map on the app during boarding. Since there seemed to be a disturbance in the row behind me, including a long discussion with the GA, a red coat, at least one FA, and at least two passengers (plus a dog), I looked at the seat map out of curiosity as I wondered whether there were empty seats on the flight. I was a bit curious about what procedure DL would use to resolve the situation, just in case I would be involved in some similar situation in the future. I'm sorry (not) if that makes some people here think I'm a busybody, but I couldn't help overhearing part of the conversation near me (although I didn't record any video on my phone).

A few times in the past an airline agent has offered (without my asking) to block an empty seat next to me. If that happens, it certainly is my business if someone tries to poach the seat that was blocked as a courtesy for my own comfort and convenience. So I will try to say something gently to someone who tries to occupy the seat and then report it to a FA if the person insists on sitting there.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
You would be showing a seat assignment, get over the paranoia and live a little.
Sorry, but I don't give my name to random strangers for no reason, nor do I wish some random person to be able to see my PNR, FF number, SC membership information, credit card information, etc. In fact, IIRC if you know just the PNR, you can go into someone else's reservation and change seat assignments or cancel flights, so letting someone that might be annoyed with me see my PNR is probably not wise if it can easily be avoided. I would never leave my boarding pass in an airport lounge or in an aircraft seat back pocket, so why should I show it to someone who has no authority to ask to see it?
Old May 4, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Often1
Unless the seat is assigned to you, it's none of your business.

If you want to play Junior FA, report it to the FA. If you don't, then let it go. Someone else got a freebie and it's tough on you.

It wasn't yours to begin with.

When other passengers try to tell me about what they thing policies and rules are, I ignore them. There are all kinds of nuts out there these days. Some are just harmless cranks interfering where it's not their business. Others turn violent. I have no desire to find out.
While I agree with your points and in all honesty much of the content of your post generally summarizes why I didn't escalate this issue to an FA (specifically "it wasn't mine [seat] to begin with"), DL is the one who established this situation by its insistence to monetize the C+ "cabin" and treat it as an upgrade. If they want to treat C+ as an upgrade or a paid product, they should enforce it the same way they'd try to enforce someone poaching F or D1, which we all know would not be tolerated.

As you will note by not-so-carefully re-reading my OP, I in fact didn't "interfere" or "turn violent". I did nothing except come here and post to see if others had observed the same. Sorry that was lost on you.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
To close the loop, I can confirm that the seat map ordinarily remains accessible throughout the boarding process until the cabin door is closed and the flight is marked in the system as Departed, even well after everyone is on board. Tap the seat number in the iOS app on the Today/Departure to view it.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by BenA
To close the loop, I can confirm that the seat map ordinarily remains accessible throughout the boarding process until the cabin door is closed and the flight is marked in the system as Departed, even well after everyone is on board. Tap the seat number in the iOS app on the Today/Departure to view it.
It doesn't seem to be reliable, though. I was in an exit row window seat a few weeks ago and the middle seat went empty perhaps an hour before the flight. Sometime after I boarded (Sky Priority) it became unavailable, but nobody ever arrived to claim the seat.

Obviously exit rows might get special treatment, but I wouldn't count on what you see in the app being accurate by the time boarding is happening,
Old May 5, 2017, 5:30 am

I've never noticed any problems with the seat map when I access it on the app through My Delta > Flights and then clicking on my name for details and then my seat in what looks like a version of my PNR. I can definitely do this after boarding without any apparent problems.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
It doesn't seem to be reliable, though. I was in an exit row window seat a few weeks ago and the middle seat went empty perhaps an hour before the flight. Sometime after I boarded (Sky Priority) it became unavailable, but nobody ever arrived to claim the seat.

Obviously exit rows might get special treatment, but I wouldn't count on what you see in the app being accurate by the time boarding is happening,
It happened to me before too. I was so disappointed when it became unavailable, but then no one came.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough
It happened to me before too. I was so disappointed when it became unavailable, but then no one came.
It could be that the GA cleared standby passengers, then realized the cleared passenger didn't show up and didn't fix the manifest until closing the flight.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough
I also recently experienced the same thing, in an exit row.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry, but I don't give my name to random strangers for no reason, nor do I wish some random person to be able to see my PNR, FF number, SC membership information, credit card information, etc. In fact, IIRC if you know just the PNR, you can go into someone else's reservation and change seat assignments or cancel flights, so letting someone that might be annoyed with me see my PNR is probably not wise if it can easily be avoided. I would never leave my boarding pass in an airport lounge or in an aircraft seat back pocket, so why should I show it to someone who has no authority to ask to see it?
Boarding pass doesn't have CC information. As I previously mentioned, you do not need to show the entire boarding pass, just the seat assignment. As you are an "economist" I hope you are able to figure out how this could be accomplished.

Secondly you give "random" people a lot of credit if you think they all have the photographic memory to remember all that information after briefly showing them a BP
Old May 6, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
Boarding pass doesn't have CC information. As I previously mentioned, you do not need to show the entire boarding pass, just the seat assignment. As you are an "economist" I hope you are able to figure out how this could be accomplished.

Secondly you give "random" people a lot of credit if you think they all have the photographic memory to remember all that information after briefly showing them a BP
The boarding pass does show whether not the person has an AmEx Reserve card, which I would consider to be personal financial information. It's not anyone's business.

BTW, I won't show my driver's license for something that is not driving related. In particular, I use government issued ID other than my driver's license to show to TSA because I don't want to show a TSA employee my address. Maybe it's unlikely to matter, but if I can easily avoid it, I will do so.

Also, if someone were to show a boarding pass with certain information covered, how does one know that it's not for a different flight or a different day?
Old May 6, 2017, 12:44 pm

Forget about whatever info is on it, what gives a random passenger the authority to request seeing someone else's boarding pass? I'm not showing it simply because, I don't have to and it's none of your business.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
One other explanation that is surprisingly common (all right - - I confess! - - sometimes I'm a goof!) is that the person simply made a mistake. She might have misjudged the row numbers, or been inexact about her seat number, or done a dyslexia-like brain swap - - stuff like that happens all the time - - even to the best of us

OKAY - - how about this. "Excuse me - - is this your seat? A friend of mine said he was sitting in that spot - - oh GAWD I hope nothing has happened! He has had medical issues - - and is also DEATHLY afraid of flying! Is that what it says on your boarding pass?"

Last edited by SpinzCity; May 6, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.