Comfort+ seat poachers

Old May 3, 17, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Thumbs down Comfort+ seat poachers

Woman on my flight just sat down next to me in 7A with a boarding pass for 8B. Normally wouldn't care as much but 7A was to be one of the few empty seats on this CR900 and I need to get some work done and was looking forward to the extra desk space (I'm in 7B). Her seat wasn't reassigned, as the seat map still shows vacant at departure.

Sure doesn't make me want to pay for it when people just poach and get away with it.

Not gonna call her out on it as I don't want her returned to 8B and have her kick me the whole flight.
Old May 3, 17, 6:05 pm

Is 8B a Main Cabin seat?
Old May 3, 17, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
If you're not (wo)man enough to tell the lady, nor the FA, what good does telling us do?!
Old May 3, 17, 6:10 pm

-Did she struck up a conversation with you
-Was there an issue with her seat (e.g. recline / IFE)
-Was there an issue with her seat mate
-Did any FA OKed her seat change
Old May 3, 17, 6:29 pm

Too late to do something. Speak up next time.
Old May 3, 17, 7:02 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Too late to do something. Speak up next time.
This.
Old May 3, 17, 7:38 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
On my LAX-SFO flight last week a guy got up to move up to C+ right when the boarding door closed and the FA told him he needed to go to his original seat due to weight and balance issues. lol

He looked pissed off. haha
Old May 3, 17, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP is no more entitled to both 7A and 7B than the poacher was of the Comfort+ seat.

Self-awareness seems to be in short supply.
Old May 3, 17, 8:29 pm
was WWads

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Policy is that passengers are not allowed to self-upgrade to C+. TBH I might have said something.
Old May 3, 17, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
Is 8B a Main Cabin seat?
in this case, it was.

Originally Posted by dEagleS View Post
If you're not (wo)man enough to tell the lady, nor the FA, what good does telling us do?!
i needed to vent. maybe i should've used the omni thread.

Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
-Did she struck up a conversation with you
-Was there an issue with her seat (e.g. recline / IFE)
-Was there an issue with her seat mate
-Did any FA OKed her seat change
-No
-Not that I could tell
-She had no seat mate, the seat next to her original seat was open
-I don't know, I didn't see her ask...she just walked up and declared she was in 7A

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
The OP is no more entitled to both 7A and 7B than the poacher was of the Comfort+ seat.

I don't think I said I was entitled to both seats. What I did say is that I was more annoyed than I would have normally been. I didn't qualify how annoyed I would have normally been (also quite annoyed as DL tries to pass of C+ as a paid or 'upgrade eligible' product then doesn't make much of an effort to enforce against this kind of behavior). I've spent plenty of time sitting in main cabin seats when my C+ upgrades don't clear or I don't pony up the cash for them.
Old May 3, 17, 9:47 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
For next time....
When she asked you to get up and let her sit in 7-A, and you indicated here that you knew 7-A was unassigned, you should have right then and there said to her to produce her Boarding Pass for 7-A, which you knew was still an open seat, or sit in her assigned seat. If you don't stand up to BS'ers, then don't complain about the "smell" they bring you!
Old May 3, 17, 9:53 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dEagleS View Post
what good does telling us do?!
Didn't'cha know that posting on FlyerTalk is like tellin' yer bartender?!?

That said . . .

I remember when C+ was first rolled out, witnessing an occasional FA, sort of, standing on the dividing line between regular Y & C+, and saying to another FA, something like - - -

We hafto protect these seats! People pay EXTRA for these!!!

I haven't seen this in AGES, but, then again, I'm at 90%+ F UGs, so, I might not see it.

Old May 3, 17, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post

Do you believe it is reasonable to poach F?

How about D1?

How would you feel about an announced "free for all" policy once boarding completes?

Delta chooses not to do unlimited complimentary upgrades of D1 to maintain a degree of exclusivity.

Not saying C+ deserves exclusivity, but I also see how OP has a point beyond desiring 7A themselves.
Old May 3, 17, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Especially if the woman had an empty seat next to her in row 8, it seems strange to move and poach C+ just for a few inches of legroom in front versus much more space to the side.

Just how many "free" drinks did she consume to make C+ so valuable to her?
Old May 3, 17, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Especially if the woman had an empty seat next to her in row 8, it seems strange to move and poach C+ just for a few inches of legroom in front versus much more space to the side.

Just how many "free" drinks did she consume to make C+ so valuable to her?
This was my thought, too.

I've sometimes asked an FA if I could move OUT of C+ in order to have an empty seat next to me. Always hilarious seeing the C+ section crammed full and three rows back there's someone stretched out across a full row all to him/herself.

OP, maybe she found you attractive and was hoping she could capitalize on the close quarters. We always read those stories about airplane romances and stuff, right?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: