Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70 minute layover in MAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by Aliquot
I wouldn't rely on this unless someone can come up with a written policy. I have no experience with DL in MAD specifically, but I have had an airline check with immigration to verify wait times when I missed a connection once because of unusually slow immigration lines.

I have also seen someone denied rebooking in the MEM hub because they missed a 1.5 hr connection when the incoming flight arrived 15 min early.
​​​​​
70 min is plenty of time... I would look up the MCT and try to miss if a delay cuts the connection down to the MCT or below, then you shouldn't have any problems, even if you could have made the connection.window.post_1493392560143_2 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}window.post_1493392563610_15 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}

To be fair, I wouldn't rely on it either. But I have been rebooked a handful of times when I missed a connection for stupid reasons that I was honest about (one time was just I sat at the wrong gate and was doing work so intensely I didn't notice the flight).
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like you'll be going from T2 arrival on AF to T1 departure on DL. Term 2-1 mininum connect time is 60 min.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zhickman

Since I had an AirEuropa boarding pass for the Delta flight, the people at the "Delta Area" grilled me for about 10 minutes on why I didn't have a Delta boarding pass. Where had I been on this trip? Name monuments I visited while in Lisbon. Why was I traveling solo. Where had I been in the past. It was weird. I was then taken by security to another area near the gate for additional security screening. There were a handful of us who were taken here. I was told this was happenning because I was a connecting passenger.
Standard security procedure for any US airline flight traveling from Europe and some other regions of the world to the US. This security procedure is done at the check-in area, but since your BP was not issued at the DL check-in desk, they figured out you needed to go through it.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
70 minutes will be okay. Even if your flight a few minutes late. This closer than I would make connection, though. With operations running smoothly, you will getting to your aeroplane with time to spare.

^
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Don't assume you won't end up with a bus gate which can suck time away.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Standard security procedure for any US airline flight traveling from Europe and some other regions of the world to the US. This security procedure is done at the check-in area, but since your BP was not issued at the DL check-in desk, they figured out you needed to go through it.
This was the first time I've had this happen. Connecting in Rome and Amsterdam I went though security after customs, but I was arriving from outside the Schengen area. I wasn't expecting this on a "domestic" connection.

Either way, I would assume the OP would need to go through this extra screening too since they'll be a connecting passenger with an Air France boarding pass. So that extra time should be noted.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
I will be flying ATL->MAD->PMI in September. ATL to MAD is on DL Metal (D1) and MAD to PMI is on UX. Currently about a 90min layover. I expect this is plenty of time. Does anyone have any experience going from DL to UX in MAD? Will I have to re-check in or anything like that, or will DL be able to provide my BP for UX.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
DL will provide you the UX BP when you check-in at ATL. It might or might not work, so my recommendation is to make a quick stop at the UX transfer desk (there is a SkyPriority line) and get a new BP issued by them.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
We're flying JFK-MAD on DL in October and connecting to MAD-SVQ on a separate ticket on Iberia Express. While UX is a SkyTeam partner we won't consider them for this flight since it's an ATR72 flown by another airline.Scheduled arrival at MAD is 8:00 AM with the MAD-SVQ departure at 11:50 AM. We'll have carry-on baggage and are in D1.

I'm assuming that 3:50 is well above MCT I-D. Our luggage is fine for DL but oversize for EU therefore we'll carry it on at JFK have to check it MAD-SVQ. I'm assuming that we have to clear both Immigration and Customs and since Iberia isn't a SkyTeam partner we have to check our baggage at a transfer desk. Is that correct?

Will we have to change Terminals? If so, can we stay in the secure area or do we have to go through security again?

Sorry for the newbie questions but this is our first time through MAD.

All info and recommendations are welcomed.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I'm assuming that 3:50 is well above MCT I-D. Our luggage is fine for DL but oversize for EU therefore we'll carry it on at JFK have to check it MAD-SVQ. I'm assuming that we have to clear both Immigration and Customs and since Iberia isn't a SkyTeam partner we have to check our baggage at a transfer desk. Is that correct?

Will we have to change Terminals? If so, can we stay in the secure area or do we have to go through security again?
Your DL flight will arrive in T1 and your IB flight will leave from the (much nicer) T4. Here's what you're going to have to do:

0. Make sure you have your IB boarding pass in advance, such as through OLCI.
1. Arrive at T1. Follow signs to lounge 1.
2. Request the bus that goes to T4S (S for satellite). This bus only runs on request and requires that you have your IB boarding pass. Take the bus--you still haven't entered the Schengen Zone.
3. At T4S, follow signs for the "main" part of T4. You will now enter the Schengen Zone--this is the immigration step.
4. This is the part I'm not sure about--what to do with your bag you want to check. I don't know if there's a desk in T4 beyond security you can check your bag at or if you have to go all the way to the check in counters. I'd ask a gate agent to see if they can direct you to a spot you can check your bag without having to go back to the check in counters; if so, you won't have to reclear security. If you do have to go to the check in counters, then you will obviously need to reclear security.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Thanks very much.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that you'll need to go landside to the IB check in counters to check your bag. The cutoff time for IB (coach?) bags will apply to this step. Normally the transfer desk (or gate) cannot accept checked bags for the aircraft hold.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:55 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess is that you'll need to go landside to the IB check in counters to check your bag.

I doubt it. I nearly always push the carry-on size limits based on the tiny sizes that Europe's carriers allow, and, I rarely have a hard time. I just keep rolling til somebody says something! If they do question my bag, I just gate check it to baggage claim at the gate for the intra-Europe flight, but, that almost NEVER occurs!

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 27, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
[/LEFT]

I doubt it. I nearly always push the carry-on size limits based on the tiny sizes that Europe's carriers allow, and, I rarely have a hard time. I just keep rolling til somebody says something! If they do question my bag, I just gate check it to baggage claim at the gate for the intra-Europe flight, but, that almost NEVER occurs!
Yeah, that's one way to play it, but I understood that the OP really did want to check the bag.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels

Almost all of or TATL is JFK-AMS on DL with a change to KL or a train. We NEVER check bags. If we're on KL, we're ST+ and just walk by the GA with our c.1985 Tumi 26" carry-ons. No eye contact and no response to Dutch comments. It's almost never a problem and if we have to gate check, we'll do it.

I was curious about MAD and IB since we've never been through there and IB isn't ST.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yeah, that's one way to play it, but I understood that the OP really did want to check the bag.
No, we do our best to avoid checking bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.