70 minute layover in MAD

Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
70 minute layover in MAD

I am flying on Air France from Paris to Madrid; and then have 70 minutes before my MAD to JFK flight takes off. honestly, nothing would make me happier then missing the flight and spending the night in MAD. - am I correct that they are in separate terminals? do I need to clear customs in MAD? is it a big deal if I miss MAD to JFK? it is all on one delta ticket

Thanks
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
70 mins is surely well above the MCT I-I for MAD. if your AF flight is late, then you might be able to be rebooked on the next day's MAD-JFK, however otherwise, if you miss your flight, your MAD-JFK segment will be cancelled
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by suvayanr
70 mins is surely well above the MCT I-I for MAD. if your AF flight is late, then you might be able to be rebooked on the next day's MAD-JFK, however otherwise, if you miss your flight, your MAD-JFK segment will be cancelled
what about customs and the fact they are in different terminals? and won't I need to clear security after customs?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:15 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Wouldn't CDG/MAD be considered domestic - - all Schengen?
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
what about customs and the fact they are in different terminals? and won't I need to clear security after customs?
There is a bus that will take you between terminals. It either runs every 20 minutes or on demand depending on the destination of the flight. This assumes you have BP for next flight (you should) and luggage is checked through (it should be). Plus no customs since on a CDG/MAD flight. Just exit immigration clearance at MAD.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:36 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Very easy and straightforward connection. You can also walk from T2 to T1 by following the "Conexiones" sign, it should be less than 5 minutes.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:00 am

I am flying on Air France from Paris to Madrid; and then have 70 minutes before my MAD to JFK flight takes off. honestly, nothing would make me happier then missing the flight and spending the night in MAD. - am I correct that they are in separate terminals? do I need to clear customs in MAD? is it a big deal if I miss MAD to JFK? it is all on one delta ticket

Thanks
T1-T2-T3 are actually just a big terminal totally connected airside. In Madrid you will arrive in T2 and be left in the airside area (as is a Schengen flight), then you walk to T1, clear the exit Schengen border (all airside) and find your gate.

The queue in the border may be large (no e-gates unfortunately) but walking would not be more than 15-20min.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
T1-T2-T3 are actually just a big terminal totally connected airside. In Madrid you will arrive in T2 and be left in the airside area (as is a Schengen flight), then you walk to T1, clear the exit Schengen border (all airside) and find your gate.

The queue in the border may be large (no e-gates unfortunately) but walking would not be more than 15-20min.
So my thing is that I don't run for anything and that if I need to use the bathroom; i use bathroom etc. but I absolutely refuse to run. I also refuse to ask people for directions.

If I show up at Delta gate and the door is closed based on this connection will it raise all sorts of eyebrows? or will it be "no worries happens all the time"?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So my thing is that I don't run for anything and that if I need to use the bathroom; i use bathroom etc. but I absolutely refuse to run. I also refuse to ask people for directions.

If I show up at Delta gate and the door is closed based on this connection will it raise all sorts of eyebrows? or will it be "no worries happens all the time"?
Most likely not worried. However they may send you back to CDG to fly on AF ro AMS to fly on KLM or even nonstop on Air Europa from MAD. All are Skyteam airlines and AF/KL are JV partners. I wouldn't count on staying the night in MAD without paying to change.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most likely not worried. However they may send you back to CDG to fly on AF ro AMS to fly on KLM or even nonstop on Air Europa from MAD. All are Skyteam airlines and AF/KL are JV partners. I wouldn't count on staying the night in MAD without paying to change.
really?

I am not asking them to pay for Hotel or anything - I will pay for that myself. I just want to eat some Jamon. I can't imagine they would do that to be honest - but i'm relatively new to DL.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
really?

I am not asking them to pay for Hotel or anything - I will pay for that myself. I just want to eat some Jamon. I can't imagine they would do that to be honest - but i'm relatively new to DL.
If nothing else, MAD-JFK leaves around 10:30 am (assuming you're on DL), so if you miss that, both AF and KL have multiple flights later in the day to JFK from CDG and AMS (with CDG having a departure as late as ~7 pm), so it's very likely the agent will rebook you back through one of those two to get home that same day. You might be able to negotiate getting on MAD-JFK non-stop the next day, but YMMV on that one depending on the agent.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well it sounds like you're looking for a reason to miss your flight. If it is delayed and you legitimately miss it, then you'll be taken care of. But if it arrives in plenty of time and other pax make it but you are the last one to arrive, then there could be an issue since it may seem obvious and not Delta's fault.

In a misconnect event, they will try to rebook/reroute you to get you home the same day. If there are no options left for that day, then it would be the next day.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I just connected in Madrid on Monday. LIS-MAD-ATL. UX and then DL.

The two flights were the furthest they could be from each other in the terminal. 30 min walk from gate to gate. Before you get to the international flights, you'll pass through customs. This didn't take long for me, five minutes at most. Once I got to the Delta area though, it got weird. Delta has the two gates at the end, and these two gates are roped off from the rest of the terminal. You'll present your boarding pass here and then they'll let you into the boarding area.

Since I had an AirEuropa boarding pass for the Delta flight, the people at the "Delta Area" grilled me for about 10 minutes on why I didn't have a Delta boarding pass. Where had I been on this trip? Name monuments I visited while in Lisbon. Why was I traveling solo. Where had I been in the past. It was weird. I was then taken by security to another area near the gate for additional security screening. There were a handful of us who were taken here. I was told this was happenning because I was a connecting passenger.

You'll most likely experience something similar. Air France boarding passes and you'll be a transit passenger. All of this added about another 20/30 min once I got to the gate area. I had 85 minutes from landing to take off and I was able to make the flight with the 30 minute walk and extra security screening, and still boarded with SkyPriority.

Seeing as how you'll be in the gate area for a bit dealing with this extra security, the gate agents will know you're there and will likely hold the plane for you.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by rylan
Well it sounds like you're looking for a reason to miss your flight. If it is delayed and you legitimately miss it, then you'll be taken care of. But if it arrives in plenty of time and other pax make it but you are the last one to arrive, then there could be an issue since it may seem obvious and not Delta's fault.

In a misconnect event, they will try to rebook/reroute you to get you home the same day. If there are no options left for that day, then it would be the next day.

I can just imagine OP strolling to the gate 45 minutes after the flight takes off...

"Sorry, I would have been here but I refuse to run, I am unwilling to ask for direction, I require a one hour lunch break, and I saw some duty free items I HAD to have" in which case they will probably still put him on the next available flight.

To answer the OPs actual question. You will probably be ok when you decided to do as little as possible to make this work.

Edit: I should add that you are really gambling on two things 1. The next days flight has availability and 2 they don't reroute you or put you on UX.
bsagator and CPMaverick like this.

Last edited by KingBraden; Apr 28, 2017 at 9:12 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by KingBraden
I can just imagine OP strolling to the gate 45 minutes after the flight takes off...

"Sorry, I would have been here but I refuse to run, I am unwilling to ask for direction, I require a one hour lunch break, and I saw some duty free items I HAD to have" in which case they will probably still put him on the next available flight.

To answer the OPs actual question. You will probably be ok when you decided to do as little as possible to make this work.
I wouldn't rely on this unless someone can come up with a written policy. I have no experience with DL in MAD specifically, but I have had an airline check with immigration to verify wait times when I missed a connection once because of unusually slow immigration lines.

I have also seen someone denied rebooking in the MEM hub because they missed a 1.5 hr connection when the incoming flight arrived 15 min early.
​​​​​
70 min is plenty of time... I would look up the MCT and try to miss if a delay cuts the connection down to the MCT or below, then you shouldn't have any problems, even if you could have made the connection.window.post_1493392560143_2 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}window.post_1493392563610_15 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.