Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Early April Operation Disruption Compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early April Operation Disruption Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Another data point. Received an e-mailed response to my complaint along with 20k miles. This is in addition to the standard 20k miles given to (almost) everybody.

Not a form e-mail per se, but a simple parrot of my complaints with a "sorry for the inconvenience of XXX" and "you should never have had to YYY"

I would press the issue of oop hotel stay but client paid it so, meh.
I am still perplexed at the amount of different compensation. It's so wildly varied.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
What are your losses, what are you asking for?
I didn't complain for compensation, I have plenty of miles and I use them and replenish them very often. My complaint was based on the poor and conflicting info and several hours of delays, misconnections on two different days (two different trips), 3 and 5 days after the event. To add insult to injury, the RDU (my home airport) had no sense of urgency and basically checked out on that Sunday, resulting in the misconnection.

Service won't improve if they don't hear of the substandard service from their FF's. As for the "automatic" compensation, there wasn't and hasn't been any and the DL response took over two weeks since it was sent in. They actually have responded to the second complaint, not the first one.

I am just amazed how differently we are all being treated and/or compensated.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wizzy
I've been waiting two weeks for a response from Delta; received the automated confirmation after submission. I'm looking for almost $1,500 in reimbursement (3 day delay returning home) so I wonder if the amount is contributing to the delay.
I finally got a call from Delta today. They considered my delay that Saturday to be weather related (from the weather 2-3 days earlier) and while they normally wouldn't cover weather items, they agreed to full reimbursement. They also indicated that they considered the 20k miles already given to be sufficient other compensation. I disagreed (with that offer and the weather excuse), and after a minute, they provided an additional 10k miles per person. Still not enough, but it's at least a token differentiation to acknowledge the 3 day delay.

Check should arrive in 7-10 business days.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:32 pm

Hey y'all quick question please. I was e-refunded on April 6th so 22 days/17 business days ago and still haven't seen the refund on my Amex Plat. I've called a few times and they've said it was good to go and it can take 1-2 billing cycles to reflect which doesn't make much sense to me. Looking for some data points, has anyone that used a Amex Plat have their refund show up in their account yet? It's pretty poopie that they can hold money this long and earn interest off of it.

Also, I used a $250 gift card for partial payment and asked how the payment would be refunded. CS said the total amount would be refunded back to my card and not back on the gift card or voucher, is this correct?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:37 am

For some reason one online submission resulted in two case files being opened, so ~45 minutes after I talked to an agent another called; I was unable to answer so they sent me the following email:

Thank you for writing to us about your recent travel experience. I tried to reach you by phone but was unsuccessful and wanted to get back to you quickly. I'm sorry you and your family were affected by the weather and crew scheduling delays that took place between April 5th and April 9th 2017.

I can imagine your disappointment not being able to get to your final destination for three days. We missed the mark at providing the level of service you expected. Please accept my sincere apology for the lackluster performance on this trip. Your feedback is important to us as it helps us become a better airline. Be assured I shared your comments with our Customer Service and In-Flight leadership teams.

Unfortunately we do not provide compensation for time missed at work, school, social activities or pre-paid expenses. However I am requesting a check in the amount of $$$. Please allow seven to ten business days for processing and an additional two weeks for postal delivery. I see each of you have also received 20,000 bonus miles as a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience.

Wizzy, I hope the positive experiences you’ve had with Delta far outweigh the bad. As a Platinum Medallion SkyMiles member, you’re an important part of the Delta family. We hope this is a relationship that continues to grow for many years to come. Thanks for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Similar to the phone conversation I had, Delta clearly feels that the 20k miles was sufficient, regardless of the actual impact.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:57 am

I just got my resolution.

I submitted a complaint via the web site and uploaded a pdf with my United Airfare and Hotel bill with the complaint.

I am told I have a check coming for the price of my hotel + my UAL ticket - the amount they already reimbursed for the flight that was canceled. I consider the response good and the matter closed.

I was on a flight home LAX > MCO on a A class ticket. Flight was delayed for hours then canceled because we where a FA short. No alternate flights where given even via the app. I bought a walkup first class fare on UAL to get home next day.
Old May 1, 2017, 4:46 pm

I just received a check for full reimbursement of all expenses I incurred, and claimed with documentation, due to a three day stranding and multiple canceled flights. I also got 20,000 RDM. While I was not happy with the whole experience, the restitution by Delta was handled very quickly and fairly. They also accepted responsibility for the operational failure. Interestingly, they had what seemed like a script where the agent listed all the factors that led to a "perfect storm" of problems:unprecedented weather, spring break, etc. etc..
Old May 1, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyerslc
I just received a check for full reimbursement of all expenses I incurred, and claimed with documentation, due to a three day stranding and multiple canceled flights. I also got 20,000 RDM. While I was not happy with the whole experience, the restitution by Delta was handled very quickly and fairly. They also accepted responsibility for the operational failure. Interestingly, they had what seemed like a script where the agent listed all the factors that led to a "perfect storm" of problems:unprecedented weather, spring break, etc. etc..
Interesting. The agent I spoke with took no responsibility and blamed it all on weather, but provided some excuse that I can't remember as to why they'd reimburse me. It appeared as if the agent hadn't even reviewed my submission or documentation before calling me, he was just so burned out ("we're even working weekends") that he wanted to get it over with and on to his next call.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Just got my response on the complaint sent in on 11 Apr with the typical "we are sorry and we should have done better." Never did get the automatic 20K SMs, but they are adding $200 credits to the SM accounts for me, wife, and son. Case closed.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I got a reply(call at first) and then email as I could not be on the phone when they called.

Essentially told you already got 20K sky miles so if you want to submit your Uber receipts we can reimburse you.

I am going to reply and ask for a voucher because every single person got 20K sky miles. My friend got that and he had 1 flight canceled and just went home. Canceled the one day trip to Miami and will go later.

Reports here say people have gotten 20K + 20K. Or 20K + 200 voucher + Reimbursement. I still can't believe the range of 'fixes' they are doing.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I think the range of fixes depends on the damage claimed.

Anyway, I sent in my claim about two weeks ago. Last night, got an email acknowledging that it had been received and saying it can take up to 30 days for a response but usually takes less. Not thrilled, but it least I know they have it.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
I received the 20K miles, a refund for the flight not taken and a check for my troubles. A co-worker stuck in the same mess has received nothing at all. I advised her to contact Delta with copies of receipts, etc. It seems strange that she and her family weren't even given the 20k miles.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Just got my response on the complaint sent in on 11 Apr
OK, I just checked and my complaint/request for reimbursement was sent in on April 17th, so I'll just continue to wait.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:43 pm

I just want to say that Delta's response to a request for documented expenses due to their operational failure was very prompt and fair. The amount of inconvenience, stress and disruption was unlike anything I have experienced in decades of flying. It was, and still is, surprising and disappointing that their technical infrastructure was so poor that it could not handle calls from crew, leading to a national meltdown that caused millions of dollars of collateral damage to their passengers. Nevertheless, their response to restitution for the direct expenses was admirable and superior to that of most American corporations.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I think the range of fixes depends on the damage claimed.

Anyway, I sent in my claim about two weeks ago. Last night, got an email acknowledging that it had been received and saying it can take up to 30 days for a response but usually takes less. Not thrilled, but it least I know they have it.
Right.

But my friend who has zero status got the automatic 20K for one canceled flight and he went home.

I spent all day at the airport. Multiple canceled flights. Eventually went home. PLUS had out of pocket expenses. I missed a day of work and as someone that is self employed(photographer) I missed a day of work. Then I had to go to different airport to even get there the next day. My bag went to the wrong airport. Had to be delivered.

I didn't get the auto 20K and was offered the 20K and received. I'm a PM so not sure how one canceled flight is worth a whole day of cancelations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.