Wiki Posts
Search

Finally got to see real shenanigans.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Finally got to see real shenanigans.

On DL1229 ATL to MEM and I finally got to see real shenanigans. I was #3 for two seats, boarded and took my coach seat as #1 for 0 seats. We were delayed getting out because of a crew issue.

When the door closed the FA (not the GA) came to economy comfort and got a DL employe in a dark colored jacked with a safety reflective DL logo and put him in first. Then she came back with the printed manifest and got another passenger. Theyou were not given boarding passes, just moved.

I know YBYL, but this goes against everything DL has said about the on board flight crew doing upgrades. They always say FAs can't do upgrades because they don't have the list. It seems like I got to see my second instance of straight up shennigans.

The app upgrade list shows me as #1 for 2 seats at takeoff.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:25 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by teCh0010
On DL1229 ATL to MEM and I finally got to see real shenanigans. I was #3 for two seats, boarded and took my coach seat as #1 for 0 seats. We were delayed getting out because of a crew issue.

When the door closed the FA (not the GA) came to economy comfort and got a DL employe in a dark colored jacked with a safety reflective DL logo and put him in first. Then she came back with the printed manifest and got another passenger. Theyou were not given boarding passes, just moved.

I know YBYL, but this goes against everything DL has said about the on board flight crew doing upgrades. They always say FAs can't do upgrades because they don't have the list. It seems like I got to see my second instance of straight up shennigans.

The app upgrade list shows me as #1 for 2 seats at takeoff.
Bummer.

But I think in flight crews can upgrade non-revs after door closure (as they don't have the actual list).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK FAs have always been allowed to upgrade employees, with the concurrence of the pilot in charge. It's just that they are not allowed to upgrade revenue passengers.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK FAs have always been allowed to upgrade employees, with the concurrence of the pilot in charge. It's just that they are not allowed to upgrade revenue passengers.
Correct. Non-revs are promised best available seats. Thus they know they're entitles to them. However others aren't all entitled to be moved up. However I thought their was a recent announcement they were doing away with YBYL.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Correct. Non-revs are promised best available seats. Thus they know they're entitles to them. However others aren't all entitled to be moved up. However I thought their was a recent announcement they were doing away with YBYL.
I think rene's post said that change was coming next week.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
I am willing to bet that processing upgrades at the gate IS at AGENT'S DISCRETION. So if they don't push the button you're screwed and their buddies get the seats.

We'll see if the so called change fixes that loophole.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by doglover
I am willing to bet that processing upgrades at the gate IS at AGENT'S DISCRETION. So if they don't push the button you're screwed and their buddies get the seats.

Sneaky agents gonna be sneaky.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have had a gate agent come on board to move me up only to be stopped by the head FA so she could move her friend up from the back in a lie flat transcon (and the Delta app showed I should have been upgraded).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If you board, then by definition it is not shenanigans.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
If you board, then by definition it is not shenanigans.
in my case the GA told me to board and said he would come and get me for the upgrade.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by andyh64000
in my case the GA told me to board and said he would come and get me for the upgrade.
Did he? If not then unless he told the FA, it was a GA screw up and not a FA playing games.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:53 pm

I have had a gate agent come on board to move me up only to be stopped by the head FA so she could move her friend up from the back in a lie flat transcon (and the Delta app showed I should have been upgraded).
I hate it when FAs try to do that.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hope you reported this.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:10 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by doglover

What's the change?

FWIW I saw something similar on another ATL-MEM flight earlier this week. I mentioned it in the upgrade thread but I don't think anyone actually reads the posts there.

Originally Posted by pvn
3/29 1084 ATL-MEM Q fare, cleared at IROPS rebooking
Originally Posted by pvn
I walked up to this flight as zone 2 was boarding. GIDS showed 1 first class seat remaining, which is how many open seats I saw when I peeked at the flight earlier today. I boarded last and saw my seat and 2D open (which was the open seat I saw earlier today). There were 35 people on the upgrade list. It seems that upgrades were not processed? A uniformed pilot ended up sitting in 2D.
Seems like the GA never "pushed the button"
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Question

Originally Posted by Widgets
I think rene's post said that change was coming next week.
The key will be IF it is followed by all. IF we see more and more SHENA events it will crush any positive that could come from this 4APRIL17 adjustment.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-upgrades.html

It will not take many examples, like the OP, to have elites say the change is not real!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.