Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL MQMs - Miles Run

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
I flew from ORD to India and return for $2,200 in delta one and earned about 30,000 MQMs. Total of 7 segments with all long haul on lie flats (combo of Delta, KLM, Air France). Was traveling there for vacation so not intended to be a mileage run but if I need to do one to maintain Diamond in future, would consider. Do need to get e-visa for India. I always check YYZ and ORD even though I am based in DTW. It's paid off a number of times
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
YYZ and YVR have saved me tons and gotten me in J/F for what Y costs on some. I'm flying Xiamen air RT from YYZ to SYD under F for $2.5k USD. In fact I basically wouldn't make gold if it wasn't for partner flights. The MQD based on distance help tons. Same for AA. I've requalify ed for EXP for next year already due to partner J tickets to SIN. (USD 1.8k RT US-SIN in J)
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zorak
Google flights is adequate in a lot of cases, so I second that suggestion.

If you want to learn more about finding/planning MRs on your own, I suggest starting with the sticky threads at the top of the Mileage Run and Mileage Run Discussion forums:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...iscussion-627/

If you want to be lazy and have other people find MRs for you then you can post a request in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...lp-needed.html

but you'll want to be a bit more specific if you have any date restrictions etc.
Thank you for the links.. I will be reading them all as i figure need to learn i order to get better..

Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
Are you looking for domestic or international MRs or both? I go for the biggest bang I can at once and use SIN for my MRs. Only requires one day off from work (zero if it's a long weekend already) and nets me about 22,000 MQMs in one trip. It is an entire weekend in a plane with six legs total for me (four being long-haul), so you have to be mentally and physically prepared for that. It does, however, make all my regular domestic flying feel like nothing.
I will probably start with domestics but will be pretty open for international. must learn to walk before running, assuming.

Thanks,

Originally Posted by mot29
If NYC is your base, I'd also suggest looking at AF/KL Canada -- YYZ/YUL to Asia or DEL/BOM. Often find good fares in Business or Premium Econ on AF flights. PE on AF in W, S, and even A earns a 50% MQM bonus. Tickets booked on AF stock earn MQDs based on distance, not spend.
For example, check this thread -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...340-pe-rt.html
For me, easiest to book on airfrance.us.
Depending on your schedule there is also this available now -- PRG to "lesser" cities in China (although Hangzhou is only 90 minutes or so by train from PVG). http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...1166-euro.html also bookable on AF.
Note that true PE is only available on AF metal.
Appreciate the note. I need to learn as well how to earn with partner airlines.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 14, 2017 at 8:39 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Guanacox
I will probably start with domestics but will be pretty open for international. must learn to walk before running, assuming.

Thanks,
singapore
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
Originally Posted by FlyFromDTW
I flew from ORD to India and return for $2,200 in delta one and earned about 30,000 MQMs. Total of 7 segments with all long haul on lie flats (combo of Delta, KLM, Air France). Was traveling there for vacation so not intended to be a mileage run but if I need to do one to maintain Diamond in future, would consider. Do need to get e-visa for India. I always check YYZ and ORD even though I am based in DTW. It's paid off a number of times
Holy Sky Miles, that's a hell of a yield. . . and in the front cabin? You are the king of SkyMiles junkies
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by boeingATL
Holy Sky Miles, that's a hell of a yield. . . and in the front cabin? You are the king of SkyMiles junkies
Usually best yield of you want pure MQMs is something to SIN. 650-800 dollars Main Cabin will net ~25K MQMs. Would route something like LAX-ATL-NRT-SIN and return. Sometimes through DTW as well.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I've never had trouble making DM before, but this year looks like I will be between 10-20K short.

Looking to do my first ever mileage run in August or December.

SIN or BKK look the best. Here is the question - any luck using GUC's on these routes?

To BKK I would at least have to fly Y on the last leg from ICN. Found some nice fares for Dec in the $900 range.

SIN could take DL all the way through NRT or last leg in Y from ICN.

I would not mind the Y on the short legs if I had a stopover but most of what I found goes straight through.

I would image using a GUC to NRT is next to impossible?

So what I want is to fly J with GUC's, earn 20K MQM, and spend $1000. Am I crazy?

To me the SC access, clear, and 2 choice bennies are worth the $1000.

Upgrades don't really matter any more since DM's are just higher on the list of people who don't get upgraded!
powerful pete likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
SIN is a neat city and a good place to visit for just a couple of days. If you've never been, it's a good excuse.

West coast to NRT is actually not bad for GUCs and has gotten easier as the hub there is pulled down. East coast is harder. But the real problem is that NRT-SIN is extremely rough for GUC usage. I frequently have cleared at the gate or not at all on that route; you may be best served calling DL and asking an agent to look for days when upgrade inventory is available before booking.

If it's enough miles, HKG is another route I'd consider; another city that's fun for a short visit.

As you know BKK now requires flying another airline for the last leg because DL has dropped their flight. (TPE is another destination in the same situation). For those it really boils down to the TATL segment; GUC usage is really easy on SEA-ICN/PVG/PEK in my experience, but the DTW flights are likely much more competitive. I'd find those to be a less attractive choice, for the most part; even if NRT-SIN doesnt clear, at least you have a shot at the upgrade.

No matter what, give yourself at least 48 hours in your destination and make a mini vacation out of it. For singapore, don't miss Gardens by the Bay, the National History Museum, the Night Safari and a bit of shopping on Orchard Road. I also recommend Makansutra Gluttons Bay to first time visitors - a non intimidating way to conveniently hit all the hawker center food highlights.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by BenA
SIN is a neat city and a good place to visit for just a couple of days. If you've never been, it's a good excuse.

West coast to NRT is actually not bad for GUCs and has gotten easier as the hub there is pulled down. East coast is harder. But the real problem is that NRT-SIN is extremely rough for GUC usage. I frequently have cleared at the gate or not at all on that route; you may be best served calling DL and asking an agent to look for days when upgrade inventory is available before booking.

If it's enough miles, HKG is another route I'd consider; another city that's fun for a short visit.

As you know BKK now requires flying another airline for the last leg because DL has dropped their flight. (TPE is another destination in the same situation). For those it really boils down to the TATL segment; GUC usage is really easy on SEA-ICN/PVG/PEK in my experience, but the DTW flights are likely much more competitive. I'd find those to be a less attractive choice, for the most part; even if NRT-SIN doesnt clear, at least you have a shot at the upgrade.

No matter what, give yourself at least 48 hours in your destination and make a mini vacation out of it. For singapore, don't miss Gardens by the Bay, the National History Museum, the Night Safari and a bit of shopping on Orchard Road. I also recommend Makansutra Gluttons Bay to first time visitors - a non intimidating way to conveniently hit all the hawker center food highlights.
Thanks!

I've actually spent time in all of the above, but I would not mind a stopover in ICN just for the heck of it (and to break up the trip).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:17 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I've never had trouble making DM before, but this year looks like I will be between 10-20K short.

SIN or BKK look the best. Here is the question - any luck using GUC's on these routes?

To BKK I would at least have to fly Y on the last leg from ICN. Found some nice fares for Dec in the $900 range.

I would not mind the Y on the short legs if I had a stopover but most of what I found goes straight through.

So what I want is to fly J with GUC's, earn 20K MQM, and spend $1000. Am I crazy?

Upgrades don't really matter any more since DM's are just higher on the list of people who don't get upgraded!
I have cleared SIN-NRT in advance and at the gate. Worth having an agent check for confirmable availability, obviously, and going during the summer when business travel is lighter can be your friend. Also keep in mind when weighing this route against other options, SIN-NRT is not a short flight, though at least Delta's 777s are only 9 abreast in coach.

Keep in mind that this trip requires some time. Unless you want to do only 6 hours in SIN, you would need a full 4-day block to do it.

HKG is fun too but the SEA-HKG route may be an even harder upgrade than SIN-NRT.

But, if you want the 20K MQMs, this is probably the cheapest way to get it. Occasionally you can find deals on DL or partner paid business class, but I don't know of any that would get you 20K for $1,000. Aeromexico US-EZE deals, for example, get you around 20K for $2,000, and the cost difference is somewhat offset by earning more RDMs too. But Aeromexico business class is not the best.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
See upthread -- post #7 for some other ideas.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
I used GUC's on my Singapore run a few weeks ago. They cleared for the entire trip including the DTW to NRT and NRT to DTW legs.

For first timers, Singapore might seem a bit much for a run. But if you don't mind the long flights, it's great. And it's hard to beat for distance and price in a single trip.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:14 pm

Lots of references / ideas on this thread including routes / GUC success etc.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27896389-post1852.html
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:16 pm

Lots of references / ideas on this thread including routes / GUC success etc. Good luck and enjoy your trip. It is typically much lesser than 1,000 but be flexible with your dates.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27896389-post1852.html
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:00 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Guanacox
Looking to learn how to book and take advantage of the Miles Run to built my Delta Skymiles Status.

Trips starting and ending in NYC

want to learn best routes and lower possible airfare options.

all your recommendations and suggestions will be appreciated.

vp
fly to JNB on VS on a VS ticket in PE.

thats the best option right now for the lowest cost and most EQDs, RDMs, & EQMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.