Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are there really this many DMs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Yes, there really are that many DMs.

Earlier this month, I was 27/55 on the upgrade list ATL - SFO. Granted, I was on a "T" fare and it was Friday afternoon, but the GA verified that there were 26 DMs ahead of me.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
I once sat next to a 360 who told me he always jumps to the top of the list (and his companion as well) and this was before the newer change that the companion has the same status as primary on the same pnr. This was back in 2015 fwiw
It sounds like you were sitting next to Darth Chocolate

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I have no proof but I doubt that imho
Granted this was before the changes to upgrade priority last spring, so it's possible something changed then, but the best evidence I've seen points to 360s not getting higher priority than regular Diamonds: my 360 friend and I (a regular DM) were both traveling on the same flight with Q fares, but I had booked before him and I was ahead of him on the upgrade list.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
This reminds of the DYKWIA passenger a few years ago who got on the plane and started quizzing everyone in First Class looking for 'proof' he was robbed of his first class upgrade. (Cowbell clanging all the time) The woman next to me looked at him and said "I am old and rich and I paid for this seat" LOL! FA finally forced Mr. DYKWIA back to his assigned seat and all the while he chanted "I am Diamond and I can't believe all those passengers outrank me" (At the time I was DM on a full fare ticket, yeah buddy I probably out ranked you LOL!)
Must have been the same guy who saw my Silver luggage tag during pre-boarding and was surprised to see that I had a FC BP. Asked me what number I was in the list, I played dumb and told him I was the last for sure. Mr. DM went to the podium and asked the GA (right in front of me) about the status of the upgraded passengers because he was a DM and didn't get an upgrade. Answer from the GA: "Mr. Diamond, Thank you for your business, FC checked-in full and unfortunately we were unable to process the upgrade list."
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Must have been the same guy who saw my Silver luggage tag during pre-boarding and was surprised to see that I had a FC BP. Asked me what number I was in the list, I played dumb and told him I was the last for sure. Mr. DM went to the podium and asked the GA (right in front of me) about the status of the upgraded passengers because he was a DM and didn't get an upgrade. Answer from the GA: "Mr. Diamond, Thank you for your business, FC checked-in full and unfortunately we were unable to process the upgrade list."
LMAO.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
But has FC BOARDED full? That's what ultimately matters for gate upgrades.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
#10 of 68 last week as a DM on a last minute fare ATL-MSP. Crazy
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by bretthexum
#10 of 68 last week as a DM on a last minute fare ATL-MSP. Crazy
What was your fare?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I'll make DM this year and am based in PBI with transits through ATL weekly.

I usually book within 7 days of travel and am convinced my upgrade percent will be the same as it is as a newly minted platinum where I am usually in the 20's on the upgrade list.

Have taken advantage of some generous FCM offers like this weeks trip ($101 for PBI-ATL-XNA-ATL-PBI). So booking close in has a few advantages I suppose.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by WWads
What was your fare?
M fare. Seemed hard to believe I was #10. Then I called to put a RUC in that was expiring and that bumped me to the top.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Last Thursday I flew DCA-ATL and was 40ish out of 87, for 0 seats.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Upgrades between SFO and ATL are my most difficult by far. Generally I am around #10-12 on the upgrade list with my fares in the mid-range.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Saidoh
Last Thursday I flew DCA-ATL and was 40ish out of 87, for 0 seats.
Recall when the DL advertising hacks told us that "When everyone is elite, no one is elite"?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:40 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by lbcnu
Upgrades between SFO and ATL are my most difficult by far. Generally I am around #10-12 on the upgrade list with my fares in the mid-range.
what days are you flying?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:55 pm

Echo others. Had pm for about 2 years, flying mco-atl-xxx and back. If I got upgraded 5% of time that was a lot. Date and times didn't matter. I left delta for that reason. Upgrades totally unavailable. Even dm on my routes were hitting under 50% so made decision to leave easy. Just too tough in-out of atl. That said I know golds in New York that hit over 50%.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Newguy08
Echo others. Had pm for about 2 years, flying mco-atl-xxx and back. If I got upgraded 5% of time that was a lot. Date and times didn't matter. I left delta for that reason. Upgrades totally unavailable. Even dm on my routes were hitting under 50% so made decision to leave easy. Just too tough in-out of atl. That said I know golds in New York that hit over 50%.
I was 90% as a PM in DC last year. Admittedly I generally fly during off-peak times, but the only upgrades I missed were DCA-ATL. Even then I still cleared on that route several times in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.