Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are there really this many DMs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I flew ATL-PHL on LUT fares regularly a few years ago, and I always got upgraded as a DM. So not sure what's happening, maybe bumped passengers from a previous flight?

I also fly ATL-PDX on LUT fares every few months. I have never gotten an UG on certain days of the week, even as a DM. So it also depends on the route and day/time.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One's position is really, really going to vary by route, day of week, and time of flight. There are lots of business travelers on Monday mornings and Thursday afternoons. Their (our?) travels are not randomly nor evenly distributed across the seven-day week.
Originally Posted by safigan
I flew ATL-PHL on LUT fares regularly a few years ago, and I always got upgraded as a DM. So not sure what's happening, maybe bumped passengers from a previous flight?

I also fly ATL-PDX on LUT fares every few months. I have never gotten an UG on certain days of the week, even as a DM. So it also depends on the route and day/time.
I'm sure there are FO/GM/PM's with near perfect UG% because they fly off peak days and times going off peak destinations.

Just as I'm sure there are DM's who rarely if ever get UG's because they fly the most common business routes, at the most common business times, and know about their travel well in advance giving them mostly VXT fares.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA PP
I guess I have a similar question: Are there multiple levels of Diamond? For example, is it just the fare class that separates us? Or are there other factors involved that I don't know about? I'm having the same problem where I keep getting bumped down the list, but have been a DM for 3 years and met the spend last year and everything...

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Was #5 as DM on a RUC Friday. 1 Seat.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by infmedic
I guess I have a similar question: Are there multiple levels of Diamond? For example, is it just the fare class that separates us? Or are there other factors involved that I don't know about? I'm having the same problem where I keep getting bumped down the list, but have been a DM for 3 years and met the spend last year and everything...

Thanks!
DM360 goes ahead of a regular DM, but I don't think there are all that many of them, and to get 360 it typically mean's your buying a lot of F/J outright.

You're most likely being bumped down the list by DM's on higher fare classes checking in later than you. Nothing nefarious but plenty of people don't check in until they are on the way/at the airport. A person doesn't show up on the upgrade list until they have checked in.

There are also some other things that come into play on upgrades, Reserve card, MM (maybe), corporate contract, and I think a few others.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

Look at 'upgrade hierarchy'.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by kop84
DM360 goes ahead of a regular DM, but I don't think there are all that many of them, and to get 360 it typically mean's your buying a lot of F/J outright.

You're most likely being bumped down the list by DM's on higher fare classes checking in later than you. Nothing nefarious but plenty of people don't check in until they are on the way/at the airport. A person doesn't show up on the upgrade list until they have checked in.

There are also some other things that come into play on upgrades, Reserve card, MM (maybe), corporate contract, and I think a few others.
In addition, people with FC tickets already may SDC to your flight, reducing the number of seats available. Though that sometimes works to your advantage -- I was on a 6:30am flight the day after Xmas and I thought I had no chance but enough people either partied to hard to SDC'd off my flight that I scored my first LAX-ATL upgrade in a couple of years.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:59 am

This reminds of the DYKWIA passenger a few years ago who got on the plane and started quizzing everyone in First Class looking for 'proof' he was robbed of his first class upgrade. (Cowbell clanging all the time) The woman next to me looked at him and said "I am old and rich and I paid for this seat" LOL! FA finally forced Mr. DYKWIA back to his assigned seat and all the while he chanted "I am Diamond and I can't believe all those passengers outrank me" (At the time I was DM on a full fare ticket, yeah buddy I probably out ranked you LOL!)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
DM360 goes ahead of a regular DM
Is there any evidence for this?

I thought 360 members had the same upgrade priority as a regular DM, though granted if one qualifies for 360, he or she is apt to purchase higher fares.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:03 pm

We had a newly minted DM at work, and he thought it was a big deal.

Our great leader polled the room, and asked everyone, "who's a Delta Diamond here?"

Every single hand went up in a room of 20+ and he felt deflated.

That particular trip, the Great Leader flew in 25B, newly minted DM in 10C, and I drove.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ruckzac
Is there any evidence for this?
I remembered that someone had a discussion/argument about this with Darth Chocolate a while back, and was going to say "I think it's inconclusive" and point you at that thread, but when I searched back, turns out it was you
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
I remembered that someone had a discussion/argument about this with Darth Chocolate a while back, and was going to say "I think it's inconclusive" and point you at that thread, but when I searched back, turns out it was you
You have a good memory. I'm not sure that thread every came to a definitive resolution, but in my mind, 360 has the same upgrade priority as regular DMs, especially now that the rules for companions has changed.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I once sat next to a 360 who told me he always jumps to the top of the list (and his companion as well) and this was before the newer change that the companion has the same status as primary on the same pnr. This was back in 2015 fwiw
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I dropped in status for this year. I play the game to see far down the list I can be. I get bonus points if I am so far down on the list that my name does not show up on the GID boards. Sunday was a bonus point day :-).
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by ruckzac
You have a good memory. I'm not sure that thread every came to a definitive resolution, but in my mind, 360 has the same upgrade priority as regular DMs, especially now that the rules for companions has changed.
I have no proof but I doubt that imho

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.