Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: QF Gold, FB Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kchengg1
Route: JFK-CDG-NRT
Fare: Economy (Y)
What Happened: Air France had a delay on their JFK-CDG flight due to mechanical problems. My lay over in CDG was 2 hours. The JFK-CDG flight was scheduled to take off at 9PM, ended up leaving at 1 AM. As a result, I missed my connection before the flight even took off. They rescheduled my flight and the next flight was CDG-HND with an 8 hour layover. I also did a DoD Biz upgrade which was not applied to my CDG-HND flight when it was rebooked, had to talk to the desk in CDG during my layover to fix this.
Compensation: 9,000 Delta Skymiles, meals in CDG reimbursed and 800 EUR voucher.
What was the actual delay of the JFK-CDG leg? Did you talk to DL or AF for the 800 EUR voucher? If DL, how did you get in touch with them?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Wow, $300 AND 15K miles is the most I've ever heard of for a weather delay.

What happened to you stinks. GAs at ATL and JFK love to redirect customers to the Need Help Desks - but you're a PM. Just say "M'aam/Sir I'm a PM, really need to get to LAX, may you please take a moment and try to assist me here so I don't miss the next flight? Thank you in advance for your time"

Kill them with kindness and they'll usually help. If not, I ask them to please call a Red Coat to assist me. Again, they are there to help HVCs and all customers with more complex matters. They also have greater authority and knowledge and are happy to apply it for the frequent flyers that are nice to them.

But, we've all had to schlep between major terminals (even between JFK and LGA!) after missing a flight due to a weather delay and I wish they would have given me anything for it :P

love that bag guarantee.

Did you put in the online complaint that they had given you compensation via Phone AND social media already?

Again, what happened to you all stinks, but I feel like getting $675 in compensation plus 24K miles across 3 different complaint channels is a significant amount that I question whether DL would have given at once, and whether they're OK with being "worked" multiple ways for comp. They have that nasty clause that they can take any action against any SM account so I always tiptoe.
Yep I mentioned it in both complaints (wifes and mine). One of the responses said they normally don't give additional but she was making an exception given the circumstances and the other response didn't reference the amount I was already compensated. Was definitely in both complaints though and the complaints are quoted in the email responses so I'm covered.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
HI was wondering if I could get an idea of what kind of compensation I am due?

Original Itinerary DL3410 CLE-LGA, DL3701 LGA-SAV, arriving 6:39pm - 2Pax
When DL3410 updated to show 2hr late, I asked to be rebooked with gate agent in CLE to 5:00pm departure DL1346 LGA-ATL, DL1169 ATL-SAV, arriving 9:15pm (GA told me she thought I might still make original flight at time of rebooking, so didn't print me boarding passes for DL1346, but said I was "protected" on DL1346 if 3410 was delayed further, which it was, and printed me IRROPS itinerary showing confirmed on both original flight and rebooked flight.) Fly Delta app had boarding pass showing for my seats on DL1346 when I turned on airplane mode on the plane upon door closing in CLE. Arrived at LGA at 4:39, made it to gate for DL1346 at 4:45, but when I brought up boarding pass in app, it now said "At Gate" with no barcode. GA saw this, told me to stand aside, filled plane with standby list, and closed the doors. Not until then did he look at my info, and rebook me via the last flight out of JFK, DL5507, and gave me a ground transportation voucher and two $15 meal vouchers (my wife was with me). Told me GA in CLE messed something up, and that's why he couldn't get us on DL1346. I know with IDB and >2 hr delay, I would be entitled to 400% for both passengers, but I am sure Delta will have a reason why this doesn't qualify for that, so I am curious what I might actually expect, and whether I should push for IDB compensation anyways.

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DOT IDB compensation only applies to denied boardings due to oversales, not agent screw-up's. You can probably get some miles or a voucher if you complain, but very unlikely they will agree to IDB compensation when they can readily determine that the flight was not oversold.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sounds like either
1)LGA agent screwed up. Even if not the case you should have spoken up before they processed standbys. As an IRROPS passenger you have higher priority then someone just doing SDS.
2)CLE screwed up. I have a tendencies to believe this. Agent most likely didn't protect you but screwed up the process. Numerous ways they could've done this. However, even with this you should've made the flight to ATL unless all cleared standbys were IRROPS standbys.

Sorry that this happened. However you need to stand your ground next time. Dont get ugly, but insist they figure out why your BP has disappeared. Ask for a redcoat if needed.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:56 am

I’m trying to figure out what kind of compensation I should expect. I purchased a round trip ticket from TXL to JFK. Ticket was purchased from KLM. The return flight was a codeshare flight on Delta. Flight was cancelled due to maintenance issues. I was issued food vouchers. Hotel vouchers were not needed as I stayed with family. I flew out the next morning and arrived 20 hours late. I had to miss a day of work. What kind of compensation should Delta provide. Also would this qualify for the €600 EU compensation since the ticket was purchased through KLM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
A Delta operated flight leaving the USA does not qualify for EU261.

It makes no difference that you bought the ticket via KLM or that it was a KLM code share it is the operating airline of the flight that matters.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:49 pm

Couple of questions, I'm a plat, was flying last week FLL-ATL-DSM on thursday when there were a few storms across atlanta in the afternoon. Flight out of FLL was delayed by about 6 hours, missed the last flight to dsm, ultimately spent the night in atlanta. I don't think it was purely weather, I think crew timed out as well, as the plane was sitting in FLL for 1.5 to 2 hours before we finally left around 1130 pm. Any compensation there? I'd imagine they will say it was 100% weather..

And any ideas how long it takes to get the flight delay letter from delta after filling out the online form? is it emailed or an actual mailed letter?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by devans999
Couple of questions, I'm a plat, was flying last week FLL-ATL-DSM on thursday when there were a few storms across atlanta in the afternoon. Flight out of FLL was delayed by about 6 hours, missed the last flight to dsm, ultimately spent the night in atlanta. I don't think it was purely weather, I think crew timed out as well, as the plane was sitting in FLL for 1.5 to 2 hours before we finally left around 1130 pm. Any compensation there? I'd imagine they will say it was 100% weather..

And any ideas how long it takes to get the flight delay letter from delta after filling out the online form? is it emailed or an actual mailed letter?

Thanks!
Are you suggesting that the weather isnt what delayed the crew? If not than it is indeed 100% weather/ATC related.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Route: AMS-LAX-SFO
Fare: Business (Z)
What Happened: 5hr outbound delay in AMS. Plane went mechanical, then attempts were made to fix it. Had to eventually swap to another plane and re-load cargo and pax (cargo was live animals, took a while). Catering went bad as we sat on tarmac, had to get reloaded making for 5+ hour departure delay. Arrived LAX 4h 57m late.

This made me miss my 3:20, but I'd called in and proactively saved a seat on the 5 PM. Missed that too; couldn’t get a gate in LAX (worst airport). Got rebooked on the 9 PM; went to Skylclub to change to 7 cuz I was quick. 7 PM got mechanical-delay’d to 9, then to midnight. Took out my bag and bought an Alaska ticket for 11; I was tired, pessimistic about this plane, and done. Suddenly my flight shows a new 9:30 dep time and DL seems confident they’ll make it. Check back in, 9:30 becomes 10, goes past 10, Alaska flight no longer possible, then the 7 PM Delta flight ETD gets pushed to ETD 1 AM. I say *** this I am done. SkyClub issued a hotel and I asked to be rebooked on the 10:30 next day. That 7 pm flight ended up being delayed over 14 hours.

Compensation: I asked KLM (ticket issuer) for EC261 via the online form; I got this issued in 24hrs as well as 10,000 FB miles. I sent a message to Delta on Twitter and I got an offer for a $200 Delta travel certificate. Not sure if this is good; I think I'll just take it.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by caliform
Compensation: I asked KLM (ticket issuer) for EC261 via the online form; I got this issued in 24hrs as well as 10,000 FB miles. I sent a message to Delta on Twitter and I got an offer for a $200 Delta travel certificate. Not sure if this is good; I think I'll just take it.
Honestly for all that I think it's pretty bad. Might be worth asking for more.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
15K miles. Complete power failure in D1 suite (A350) roughly 3 hours into flight. Luckily there are empty seats.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Summertime in November for Delta CS replies

Received this reply for a mechanical delay causing overnight stay on domestic itin:

"Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Your Delta Comment/Complaint case number is xxxxxxxx. As a valued customer, your feedback is very important to us. Currently we are experiencing an increase in volumes due to very heavy summer operations. At this time our average response time is between 14 and 21 days. We are working hard to respond to you as quickly as possible and we thank you for your patience."

Hope they clear the summer backlog before the Thanksgiving volume.

Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
Route: RDU-ATL-LAX
Fare: Comfort+
What happened: At LAX, Delta app said check bags in T2, agent there said no, wrong place, and sent us to T3, T3 agent said no, wrong place, tried to send us back to T2. This was an outside walk on a hot day. We pushed back and they did let us check bags at T3 but were still telling others coming from T3 they had to return to T2. I sent a complaint asking not to bounce passengers around, give accurate information, not a Comfort+ experience, goodwill miles would be appreciated but mostly fix the problem.
Compensation: A detailed email addressing all parts of my complaint, very human (so different from canned responses from AA) and two $25 gift cards to vendor of choice. More useful to us than miles so we were pleasantly surprised.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:23 pm

Compensation amount - flight delay / What is fair ?

Hello Fellow Flyers,

I ran into this snag on my last trip. I would like to know what would be a fair compensation. Boston to Seoul with a stop over in MSP.

My total flight time was supposed to be ~ 19 hours. Due to 2 mechanical delays (Issue #1 ) and a lack of proper diligence (Issue #2 ), the total travel time took ~ 60 hours !!

Issue #1

a) Boston To MSP - DL809 was ok
b) MSP to Seoul - DL171 was delayed initially by 6 hours due to mechanical delay #1 . I waited at MSP for
more than 10 hours. Boarded flight DL171 (was fight DL170) and sat in the plane for 2 hours+. After 2 hours, all the
passengers HAD to deplane due to DL171 had another mechanical defect #2 . Once resolved, the flight crew timed
out on their allocated fight time and no replacement crew was found. After deplaning, I spent another 1.5 hours
before getting rebooked. I spent the night in a hotel provided by Delta. However, NO FOOD VOUCHER was given. I
reached the hotel close to midnight. Total time spent in MSP was over 15 hours !!

Issue #2

From MSP, I was rebooked from MSP to ATL
a) MSP to ATL - DL1565 was ok
b) ATL to Seoul - DL7850/KE36 had a RESERVATION
issue. Upon reaching ATL, I went to the Korean Air gate and got DENIED boarding by the gate agent. My name was
nowhere to be found on the passenger list. However, I had my boarding pass printed. The Korean gate agent sent
me back to a Delta agent and no one at Delta could figure out what happened. How did Delta lose my reservation ?
DL7850/KE36 left without me.
c) I was therefore rebooked on DL27, which left 13 hours later. Both a hotel + food
voucher were given this time.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.