Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Trying to find out where the right compensation is for this. I'm traveling LHR-DTW-DCA in J

- Before departing LHR, a pilot fell ill and couldn't make the journey. Instead of canceling the flight, Delta flew with only 2 pilots, which caused us to have to make an unscheduled stop in BOS as DTW was too far to fly with only 2 pilots due to time-out. Flight left LHR 80 minutes late.
- Stopover in BOS took over an hour, however we were told that it would be quick as we were only adding a crew member. Instead plane offloaded/onloaded cargo and needed to be re-fueled before departing. This additional delay sealed my fate that I would be spending the night in DTW as I would now miss the last flight out of the night to DCA
- Once arriving in DTW and clearing passport control, bags took 45 minutes to come to the carousel
- I was already re-booked on next flight out in the morning, however, I was essentially flying stand-by as I only had a seat request only even though a single seat showed open through the Delta app (I realize, this isn't always the case that it's really open)
- Extremely tired at this point as it's now 1130PM. Delta did offer a hotel, however, the hotel was over 30 minutes away, which is the last thing I wanted to do. I stayed separately at the Westin at my own expense. Delta did not offer any food/beverage coupons either.
- Next morning, the lone open seat in FC was now occupied and I was given a seat in Comfort+ even though I was booked on a J fare for almost $7,000.

Just curious as to what I should ask for and be compensated for here as I typically don't run into these scenarios too often. Thanks!

Last edited by DCATraveler; Mar 26, 2018 at 6:08 am
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Originally Posted by DCATraveler
Trying to find out where the right compensation is for this. I'm traveling LHR-DTW-DCA in J

- Before departing LHR, a pilot fell ill and couldn't make the journey. Instead of canceling the flight, Delta flew with only 2 pilots, which caused us to have to make an unscheduled stop in BOS as DTW was too far to fly with only 2 pilots due to time-out. Flight left LHR 80 minutes late.
- Stopover in BOS took over an hour, however we were told that it would be quick as we were only adding a crew member. Instead plane offloaded/onloaded cargo and needed to be re-fueled before departing. This additional delay sealed my fate that I would be spending the night in DTW as I would now miss the last flight out of the night to DCA
- Once arriving in DTW and clearing passport control, bags took 45 minutes to come to the carousel
- I was already re-booked on next flight out in the morning, however, I was essentially flying stand-by as I only had a seat request only even though a single seat showed open through the Delta app (I realize, this isn't always the case that it's really open)
- Extremely tired at this point as it's now 1130PM. Delta did offer a hotel, however, the hotel was over 30 minutes away, which is the last thing I wanted to do. I stayed separately at the Westin at my own expense. Delta did not offer any food/beverage coupons either.
- Next morning, the lone open seat in FC was now occupied and I was given a seat in Comfort+ even though I was booked on a J fare for almost $7,000.

Just curious as to what I should ask for and be compensated for here as I typically don't run into these scenarios too often. Thanks!
I believe you should be eligible for EU 261 compensation based on the duration of the delay. Crew illness is not considered an extraordinary circumstance from everything I've read.

Separately you're aware that Virgin Atlantic has a daily non-stop LHR-IAD? Delta markets this flight as well in case you fly this route often.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 covers this ticket as follows:

1. The delay is measured at your final ticketed destination, e.g. DCA. That exceeded 4 hours. But, it is incorrect that crew illnes is not an "extraordinary circumstance." There is one UK non-precedential case from a local judge. That is nothing any carrier, including CX, the carrier involved in that other case, could care less about. Here, the service recovery was handled as appropriately and skilfully as possible, e.g., reroute to BOS to pickup crew and fuel. DL certainly won't pay. You can file a SCC action in the UK and do a telephone hearing, but this one strikes me as handled quite well.

2. You are due a duty of care. DL owed you a hotel and food. The hotel was offered but you declined, so that is the end of that. You could submit receipts for dinner and breakfast.

3. The downgrade on the last segment is not covered by the Regulation. You are entitled to a refund of the are difference between F & Y, which is likely to be a few dollars at most.

As I see it, you can submit a request for your meals + downgrade refund and that's it. The delay will be a long fight which you will likely lose. If you do prevail, it's EUR 600.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by langbr01
I believe you should be eligible for EU 261 compensation based on the duration of the delay. Crew illness is not considered an extraordinary circumstance from everything I've read.

Separately you're aware that Virgin Atlantic has a daily non-stop LHR-IAD? Delta markets this flight as well in case you fly this route often.
The ticket was originally booked on those VS flight (all Delta codeshare, though), but I needed to move it because I had some things to take care of and I wasn't going to be able to make the 10AM departure. On this particular Delta flight, it departed at 230PM, which better fit my schedule.

Originally Posted by Often1
EC 261/2004 covers this ticket as follows:

1. The delay is measured at your final ticketed destination, e.g. DCA. That exceeded 4 hours. But, it is incorrect that crew illnes is not an "extraordinary circumstance." There is one UK non-precedential case from a local judge. That is nothing any carrier, including CX, the carrier involved in that other case, could care less about. Here, the service recovery was handled as appropriately and skilfully as possible, e.g., reroute to BOS to pickup crew and fuel. DL certainly won't pay. You can file a SCC action in the UK and do a telephone hearing, but this one strikes me as handled quite well.

2. You are due a duty of care. DL owed you a hotel and food. The hotel was offered but you declined, so that is the end of that. You could submit receipts for dinner and breakfast.

3. The downgrade on the last segment is not covered by the Regulation. You are entitled to a refund of the are difference between F & Y, which is likely to be a few dollars at most.

As I see it, you can submit a request for your meals + downgrade refund and that's it. The delay will be a long fight which you will likely lose. If you do prevail, it's EUR 600.
Ok, fair enough. What about going down the mileage route?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Mileage would be a customer service gesture, not compensation. If you are fine with miles, just send DL a short note, eliminate the excess language, and see what you get.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Why weren't you re-routed BOS-DC? Your luggage might have had to follow the next day, but at least you'd have been there.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DCATraveler
Ok, fair enough. What about going down the mileage route?
Don't listen to Often1. Quite cynical and always an airline apologist. Who thinks its OK to say you are due a refund between F and Y and its a few bucks at most. Laughable. Would an airline let you go into F for a few bucks? Nope.

Anyways - it's a quick online form to fill out for the 600 euros. DL is better than most at replying, providing a competent reply, and processing the claims without much hassle. I definitely think you should file that claim, and then a separate customer complaint for the delay and how you were treated during the rebooking etc (because the EU claims compensation is a separate team that doesn't also do customer compensation).

In fact, I had a case where I filed a complaint a month after. The agent offered compensation and I accepted. 5 months later I realized I was also eligible for the EU comp. Filed for that online and they made no reference to the goodwill gesture offered previously, and settled for the 600 euros amount.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Route: ICN-DTW
Fare: Premium Select, not sure of fare class without calling (1-way HKT-IAH at $2.1k, in Y, then Premium Select, then First without upgrades)
What Happened: IFE didn't work on 12 hour ICN-DTW flight, rather you could not control what was on the display or what to watch. Delta Twitter offered 2,500 miles which I thought was very lowball, especially given the stories here.

What is the best method to complain - snail mail, or online? Twitter didn't really work and I didn't accept their offer. Thanks! Powers
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Don't listen to Often1. Quite cynical and always an airline apologist. Who thinks its OK to say you are due a refund between F and Y and its a few bucks at most. Laughable. Would an airline let you go into F for a few bucks? Nope.

Anyways - it's a quick online form to fill out for the 600 euros. DL is better than most at replying, providing a competent reply, and processing the claims without much hassle. I definitely think you should file that claim, and then a separate customer complaint for the delay and how you were treated during the rebooking etc (because the EU claims compensation is a separate team that doesn't also do customer compensation).

In fact, I had a case where I filed a complaint a month after. The agent offered compensation and I accepted. 5 months later I realized I was also eligible for the EU comp. Filed for that online and they made no reference to the goodwill gesture offered previously, and settled for the 600 euros amount.
Thanks. I've submitted a claim for both the delayed flight as well as the service downgrade.

Last edited by DCATraveler; Mar 27, 2018 at 6:45 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Why weren't you re-routed BOS-DC? Your luggage might have had to follow the next day, but at least you'd have been there.
This was not an option. The flight crew was pretty explicit that no passengers would be de-planing in BOS.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:29 pm

ROUTE: LHR-DTW-DCA
Fare: J
What Happened: Outgoing flight was delayed due to pilot illness. Plane flew anyway with 2 pilots to BOS, which meant I missed my connections in DTW onto DCA. On the continuing connection from DTW-DCA, I was involuntarily downgraded to Main Cabin. Filed a complaint along with the Exit EU.
Compensation: $1200 in TCV.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
My friend got delayed around 16 hours because of a mechanical delay. They wouldn't book on a different airline, non status member. Gate agent said to go online for compensation as they don't do it until after the trip (which I guess makes sense to see how delayed you were).

Where would they go online , I was looking I see "file a complaint online" but didn't see anything specific to delays or compensation claims? Do they need to login to there account to see something.

They did receive an automatic non personalozed email with a applogies and some survey general questions. No compensation was offered.

Last edited by bdlman; Apr 16, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:58 am

ROUTE: JFK-SFO
Fare: D1 (RUC)
What Happened: IFE Screen down for the full flight after multiple resets. Overhead light couldn't be turned off as it is controlled by the screen. All D1 Screens fine, but mine.
Compensation: Received a call from Delta with an apology, and 12.5k SM into my account
Old May 3, 2018, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
15.5 hour delay because of a mechanical issue, delta offered a very small $100 gift card via email. Seems like they should get some miles or something more compensation for such a long delay due to a mechanical issue. Weather was not an issue. Member was a general member and all the elites got put on the earlier flights it seems hence why it took so long to get home. What is the best way to contest the offer complain on twitter, facebook, call? We tried to call delta but it said to call back later both times we tried not even offered the chance to hold.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton
Route: PLS-ATL-SLC
Fare: N (main cabin award)
What happened: Wife and I had a connection in ATL that was one minute above the MCT for international - domestic (1:26). Luckily plane landed ~20 minutes early, so we're feeling good. However one of our 3 bags never shows up at the international baggage claim. Finally determine the bag has been taken to the wrong terminal. Still made the connection, but it was a stressful situation trying to decide how long to wait at the baggage claim, as the clock counts down to the next flight. The bag was delivered to our house a day later. I filled out the complaint form online. Bags were all tagged Sky Priority since we were flying in from an international airport.
Compensation: 5000 skymiles. I was hoping for a little more, considering you get 2500 for a bag being even slightly delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.