Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How is this possible? (Differences on UG lists)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM

Flying yesterday SLC-RDU, I noticed that someone was below me on the First upgrade list, but ahead of me on the C+ list. It's always possible that these were two different people, but I'd be interested to know how this happens.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:25 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Seems like they would have to be different people, can't imagine (barring Shena or IT glitches) how that would happen otherwise.

Certainly there could be some people already in C+ who appear on the F list and don't appear on the C+ list, but that's the opposite of what you observed.

Though in theory the person ahead of you on the C+ list should have also appeared on the F list? Hard to imagine why someone would request a C+ upgrade but not an F upgrade, unless they just ticked the wrong boxes on DL.com.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by bgriff
Seems like they would have to be different people, can't imagine (barring Shena or IT glitches) how that would happen otherwise.

Certainly there could be some people already in C+ who appear on the F list and don't appear on the C+ list, but that's the opposite of what you observed.

Though in theory the person ahead of you on the C+ list should have also appeared on the F list? Hard to imagine why someone would request a C+ upgrade but not an F upgrade, unless they just ticked the wrong boxes on DL.com.
Unless the upgrade priority for C+ is different than for F? i'm thinknig reserve card, MQD AMEX waiver, etc. Are we certain those tiebreakers count for C+ upgrades?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:20 pm

What if you're DM, they're PM.

They used a RUC only for first, and are on their own priority for C+?

Edit: read this backwards. But same theory still applies. Did you use an instrument for first?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's same elite level, fare class, etc., the difference could be the time of upgrade request tiebreaker. One or both of the passengers could have requested the C+ and FC upgrades at different times. Of course, this is unlikely and even more unlikely if there are other people between the two on upgrade lists.

My bet is RUC usage for only FC.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I got hosed yesterday on ATL-CUN. I was traveling with a colleague who also was flying RDU-ATL-CUN. We we late coming into ATL (because DL @ RDU only has one deice truck apparently), and missed our connection. We both called separately to rebook (but I called first). He's a GM, I'm a DM. He got booked in first, I got booked in coach... Same fare class too. I guess the difference was the agent we talked to. One booking F the other booking Y.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by sogi
What if you're DM, they're PM.

They used a RUC only for first, and are on their own priority for C+?

Edit: read this backwards. But same theory still applies. Did you use an instrument for first?
I agree with you. I saw this first hand as I was #1 on the F upgrade list but #4 on the C+ upgrade list. After a few phone calls, we figured out my RUC was putting my #1 for F ... but my C+ position was based on status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.