Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

checking bags thru on partner airline but non-code-share flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

This is probably old hat for more experienced international travelers, but is a new one for me. Traveling DTW-SGN, I booked through Delta DTW-ICN on Delta metal, then ICN-BKK on a KE code share, then separately booked BKK-SGN through Vietnam Air. VN is a lower-level Delta partner, but this flight was not available as a codeshare, and by booking separately I got a freakishly low total price (and an opportunity to spend a few free days in Thailand on the return!).

Can/should I try to have my bag checked from DTW all the way to SGN? My flight into BKK arrives around midnight and my flight to SGN leaves the next morning, so checking my bag all the way through would keep me from having to collect my bag and cool my heels for 8 hours outside the BKK terminal.

On a related note, will my SkyClub membership get me into the Air France lounge, even though I'm not flying Air France? If the answer above is yes and here is no, are there any other 24-hour lounges you'd suggest for purchase?

Advice on any aspect of this itin would be much appreciated!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I flew SFO>SEA>ICN last year on DL and then ICN>SGN on VN. Although the VN flight was not a code-share, the agent at SFO tagged my bag all the way to SGN, but told me that they normally wouldn't do this. Perhaps my DM status helped. I doubt that you'll be able to get yours checked all the way through, as you have an extra flight from ICN>BKK first, but good luck!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Through check policy does not list VN --

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...-policy--.html

Sky Club location finder only lists a handful of AF lounges where a Sky Club membership is accepted for entry. BKK is not one of them.

https://www.delta.com/skyclub/viewSk...equest.action#

I know the JNB AF lounge only allowed my entry based on my Skyteam Elite Plus status and did not accept my Sky Club membership as a valid form of entry.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All that matters is whether this is on one or more tickets and then whether the carriers have interline baggage agreements. If on one ticket, DL can check as far as the final ticketed destination. If your ticket originating at DTW terminates at BKK, that is the furthest DL may ticket.

The exact amount of time you are schedule at BKK may also matter as 8 hours is also often a break across which carriers may not check luggage. You will need to check with KE, as it operates the flight into BKK, on that.

Forget about the use of the term "booking," all that matters is "tickets"

Alliances, codeshares, partners and the like are all marketing stuff.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! So, would my Diamond status get me into the AF lounge? Maybe I'll try to cram everything into a carry-on to avoid exiting the terminal.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by ProfRB
Thanks! So, would my Diamond status get me into the AF lounge? Maybe I'll try to cram everything into a carry-on to avoid exiting the terminal.
If you're sky team elite and flying on a sky team airline, you'll have access.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by cygnus
If you're sky team elite and flying on a sky team airline, you'll have access.
Is this true?

Remember the change a couple years ago with status pax on international flights no longer getting access to contract lounges. And the BKK ST lounges are all Louis Tavern contract lounges. I thought they were on the "no go" list.

I am not saying you are wrong, as I really do not know.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
All that matters is whether this is on one or more tickets and then whether the carriers have interline baggage agreements. If on one ticket, DL can check as far as the final ticketed destination. If your ticket originating at DTW terminates at BKK, that is the furthest DL may ticket.

The exact amount of time you are schedule at BKK may also matter as 8 hours is also often a break across which carriers may not check luggage. You will need to check with KE, as it operates the flight into BKK, on that.

Forget about the use of the term "booking," all that matters is "tickets"

Alliances, codeshares, partners and the like are all marketing stuff.
DL will check a bag across multiple tickets on SELECT partner airlines as well.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Is this true?

Remember the change a couple years ago with status pax on international flights no longer getting access to contract lounges. And the BKK ST lounges are all Louis Tavern contract lounges. I thought they were on the "no go" list.

If you're thinking of this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l-lounges.html

the reduction in access applies "for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight", I gather because DL is too cheap to pay for it. But since BKK-SGN is VN-operated I think OP would have access to any skyteam.com listed lounges there? Ultimately I don't really know either, but that's how I read it.

https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...rtcode=Bangkok - Suvarnabhumi Intl (BKK)

lists AF and CI lounges in addition to Louis' Tavern.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak

the reduction in access applies "for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight", I gather because DL is too cheap to pay for it. But since BKK-SGN is VN-operated I think OP would have access to any skyteam.com listed lounges there? Ultimately I don't really know either, but that's how I read it.

Don't trust the Skyteam lounge finder at all -- lots of stale lounge info there. However, the AF website says that there is an AF lounge there, so I'm be reasonably certain it exists. The DL admissions changes for Skyteam Elite Plus only impacted access to third-party contract lounges, not partner operated lounges. It doesn't matter if OP was flying DL or VN, they'd still have access to any AF operated lounges as long as it's an international flight operated by a Skyteam airline.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 5, 2017 at 11:45 pm
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Is this true?

BKK has an AF/KLM lounge. SC should get access. Also the contract issue only matters when flying DL metal.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: DL SM
I flew MSP-DTW-ICN-CEB (and back) in the summer. ICN-CEB (and CEB-ICN) was on Asiana. My bags got checked all the way through until I hit customs at DTW on the way back.

Note - these were all technically on the same ticket, even though ICN-CEB is issued under different confirmations and such.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Zorak

In my limited experience, my DL DM equivalent ST E+ gets me into a non- ST lounge on a departure ST Y cabin ticket on a non DL operated flight.
BUT not on a DL operated flight when there is no SC nor ST lounge.
For example I would not get lounge on DL departure in Y cabin out of SIN but on VN KL AF KE departures. Go figure this DL policy???

On my VN SIN SGN connection from DL SIN arrival I have not had request to tag bags to SGN/HAN on VN turned down in 4 tries.

Last edited by tentseller; Jan 6, 2017 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by tentseller
On my VN SIN SGN connection from DL SIN arrival I have not had request to tag bags to SGN/HAN on VN turned down in 4 tries.
Can you re-write this sentence in proper English so that it makes sense please? I can't understand what you're trying to say! Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tentseller
In my limited experience, my DL DM equivalent ST E+ gets me into lounge on a departure ST Y cabin ticket.
Into a lounge operated by DL or a SkyTeam partner, yes. Into a lounge that Delta considers a 3rd party lounge, if traveling on DL metal, then no, per the linked thread and this DL page:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html

in particular the "LOUNGE ACCESS" table about halfway down that page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.