Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How early can you drop bags for a domestic flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early can you drop bags for a domestic flight?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Copa wouldn’t interline my bag to Delta, so I’m back to wondering how early I can check my bag at MIA. Delta’s counters open at 4:30 am and my flight is at 2:00 pm. Some here say 4 hours before, some say 6 hours, some say “same day.” Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Copa wouldn’t interline my bag to Delta, so I’m back to wondering how early I can check my bag at MIA. Delta’s counters open at 4:30 am and my flight is at 2:00 pm. Some here say 4 hours before, some say 6 hours, some say “same day.” Thanks.
DL policy for transfer of bags says they'll transfer between DL flights up to 12 hrs apart. Thus I'd figure they'd be willing at 430. It's really gonna be an agent and YMMV situation.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Dropped it off at 5:00 am and the agent didn’t say anything. (Thanks for the reply.)
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Data point. Checked bag in BOS at 11am for 6pm flight. Agent didn’t skip a beat.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:22 pm

So I need to fly to DCA to attend a funeral at Arlington National Cemetery. I arrive DCA at noon, funeral is at 2:00pm so I'm thinking the metro should allow plenty of time? I then have to catch a flight to ATL/RSW at 6:00pm or 7:00pm. Any idea if can either check my bag to final destination - Fort Myers or claim it and recheck and then head to the funeral? Otherwise if I just don't claim it upon arrival would Delta Baggage Service just pull it off the belt and store it until someone comes looking for it?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:22 pm

time

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Really it's only same day. I'm not aware of anywhere that let's you check a bag at the airport the previous day. The exception being for redeyes right after midnight.
How would it work for 6am and 7am flights? Seems like the night before would give them better time.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta PM, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Does anyone know how much before a domestic flight one can drop bags with Delta's skycaps?

We're flying Wednesday and my toddler son is a giant transportation nerd, so I thought we'd take the train to MSP. But, I can't take his bag, my bag and a giant bag of Christmas presents, plus him and a car seat, on the train. So I was thinking I'd drive down early and skycap the bags. My wife will be with us with a car on the way home, so the return is easy.

Thanks for any help.
As of Nov 2019, I was limited to 7 hours. Since I live in a small town, there is only one flight per day to MSP, and to make it work for an overnight international flight out of ATL, I need to connect in MSP with a huge layover (8-10 hours). Delta calls anything over 7hours a "stopover" (not a layover) and requires me to claim my luggage when I arrive at MSP, then recheck the bags.... But I can't recheck them until 7 hours before my departing flight. I've experienced this several times in the past year at MSP.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), National (Executive)
Data point: Checked a bag at CLT today just under 6 hours before my flight (~1:15 for a 6:59 departure). Agent seemed a little surprised but accepted it without hesitation. According to the app, the bag was actually put on an earlier flight, which is something to note.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is common and, when there are earlier flights, something to consider if there is any chance that you will later choose not to fly.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SchindHaughton
Data point: Checked a bag at CLT today just under 6 hours before my flight (~1:15 for a 6:59 departure). Agent seemed a little surprised but accepted it without hesitation. According to the app, the bag was actually put on an earlier flight, which is something to note.
I've noticed this does happen sometimes when I check in a bag unusually early. I presume the baggage handlers sort by destination rather than by flight number in some cases, and if a bag gets mixed into the wrong bin for an earlier flight to the same city, they probably have a policy of just sending it on its way.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BenA
I've noticed this does happen sometimes when I check in a bag unusually early. I presume the baggage handlers sort by destination rather than by flight number in some cases, and if a bag gets mixed into the wrong bin for an earlier flight to the same city, they probably have a policy of just sending it on its way.
As bag matching no longer occurs domestically, DL regularly sends bags on next flight. One less bag to worry about on a later flight.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta PM
As bag matching no longer occurs domestically, DL regularly sends bags on next flight. One less bag to worry about on a later flight.
Yep, had that happen to me quite a few times. Always just waiting either by the claim or by baggage services.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 2:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Will be departing from DCA at 12:30 pm, and then have another DL flight at 7:00 pm on a separate ticket. It would be very convenient for me to check the bag early in the morning. Would DL accept it at 8:00-8:30 am, and check it through my final destination?

I could claim it at JFK but would prefer to stay airside and not to deal again with TSA at JFK.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Will be departing from DCA at 12:30 pm, and then have another DL flight at 7:00 pm on a separate ticket. It would be very convenient for me to check the bag early in the morning. Would DL accept it at 8:00-8:30 am, and check it through my final destination?

I could claim it at JFK but would prefer to stay airside and not to deal again with TSA at JFK.
4 hours before wont be a problem. Most US airports DL let's you drop anytime same day, when counter is open. As for checking through no issue since connection is under 12 hours.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), National (Executive)
4 hours before wont be a problem. Most US airports DL let's you drop anytime same day, when counter is open. As for checking through no issue since connection is under 12 hours.
I agree with the above on the early bag drop- that shouldn’t be a problem. Your bag is likely to be sent to JFK on an earlier flight, however, and you would pick up at the baggage service office at JFK in that case (if your bag isn’t through-checked).

However, I disagree with the above poster on the through-check, as you mentioned that you booked these segments on separate tickets. I’m almost certain that your bag would be delivered to claim at JFK by default. While I’ve never tried this, it certainly couldn’t hurt to explain the situation to the agent on check-in and see if it’s possible to do a through-check. However, I wouldn’t expect them to do this. If you have a free bag allowance on both flights, especially if you’re a Medallion member, your chances might be a bit higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.